Quick question.
Who issues p60u is it the DWP or is it the Tax department

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2018 at 4:15PM
    Options
    A P60 of any variety is provided by the organisation that pays you.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye78100
    Where the benefit claim continues after 5 April
    • The DWP issues forms P14U and P60U at the end of the tax year
  • john240870
    john240870 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    okay thanks does the tax dept get a copy of the p60u. So they know what tax to take of you?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DWP send the details to HMRC. What HMRC do once they have processed that information depends on your individual circumstances. Have you looked at your personal tax account ? https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
  • john240870
    Options
    Thanks that's great.
    Now need to contact DWP to see if they will confirm that they have sent it to the Tax dept.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    john240870 wrote: »
    Thanks that's great.
    Now need to contact DWP to see if they will confirm that they have sent it to the Tax dept.

You really don't have to. I'm not sure that they'd tell you anyway (although they might have to if you submit a SAR now that GDPR is in force). I'm unsure whether anyone needs to send in end of year returns any more but whatever the system is for employers there will be an equivalent for DWP.

Do as suggested by molerat and check your personal tax account.
  • john240870
    Options
    I need to know whether the DWP told the tax dept that i was receiving a taxable benefit. As the tax dept are saying they had no knowledge that I was receiving it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are talking about the tax year which has just finished then it is early days. Have you checked that the P60 you received is correct? If you received the benefit for the full year it should be - if for a part year & you gave them a P45 then it probably isn't.
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might help if you explained with some details what the problem is.
    You really don't seem to know much about tax procedures and could well be wasting your time regarding the P60u. As an example if you owe tax for 2015/16 HMRC should have received their copy in May or June 2016 and would then have had until 5 April 2018 to warn you there was a problem.
    I, or someone else on here, will explain "Official Error" in more detail if it is relevant but there may be other things you should focus on if we had more information from you.
  • john240870
    edited 30 June 2018 at 11:54AM
    Options
    jimmo wrote: »
    It might help if you explained with some details what the problem is.
    You really don't seem to know much about tax procedures and could well be wasting your time regarding the P60u. As an example if you owe tax for 2015/16 HMRC should have received their copy in May or June 2016 and would then have had until 5 April 2018 to warn you there was a problem.
    I, or someone else on here, will explain "Official Error" in more detail if it is relevant but there may be other things you should focus on if we had more information from you.

Hi Yes your are correct I know very little about the tax system. That's why im asking for your advice. Received letter towards the end of May 2018, saying that I owe money for tax year 15/16. As they were not aware I was getting ESA (CB). When I question this with HMRC. They said that the first they were of my ESA was in late March 2016 But said it was too late in the tax year 15/16 to operate the codes. I have found a letter from them for January 2016 with my ESA on it. so they did know earlier. this is the earliest letter i can find, so that's why I was hoping that DWP have some earlier proof that i was on ESA. for the tax year. Hope this makes more sense, and hopefully you lovely people will steer me in the right direction. Many Thanks
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really don't think you need to worry too much about forms P60u. That is a certificate of the amount of benefit paid in the previous tax year. What you would normally want to know is the date DWP originally advised HMRC that you were receiving ESA. These days its all done electronically.
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye95060

By the way, I had trouble with HMRC and DWP over State pension payments for a deceased relative where DWP insisted the information was on the system and HMRC insisted it wasn't. I found a way around that but if my experience is anything to go by you will find yourself up against 2 brick walls. Don't go there if you don't have to.
    You haven't said when you started to receive ESA but, just for example, if ESA started on 4 Jan 16 DWP should have notified HMRC very shortly thereafter ie some time in January 16. The P60u would have been issued by June 16.
    You say you have a letter from HMRC dated Jan 16 which has your ESA on it. You also say that HMRC have recently told you that the first they knew about your ESA was March 16.
    Those 2 "facts" are clearly inconsistent. By the way, are you sure the letter dated Jan 16 is from the tax people, not Tax Credits?
    Despite the obvious inconsistencies from HMRC you seem to have pretty clear evidence that HMRC had been informed that you were receiving ESA before 5 April 2016. HMRC then had until 5 April 2017 to at least warn you that they would be reviewing the year 2015/16.
    Now, what did the letter dated January 16 say? Was it a Notice of Coding? Did it say that your tax would be reviewed later?
    Have there been any other letters or communications with HMRC since then?
    It does seem that HMRC have been unacceptably slow in determining the amount of tax underpaid but another part of the test for Official Error is whether it was reasonable for you to assume that your tax affairs were in order. That is why we, on here, need to know what was in the Jan 16 letter and any other letters.
    If you have a fight on your hands it may help you if you read all the links on this page.
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye95000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport