Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thor
    • By thor 2nd May 19, 6:10 AM
    • 5,298Posts
    • 1,894Thanks
    thor
    Fridge Freezer not freezing porperly.
    • 2nd May 19, 6:10 AM
    Fridge Freezer not freezing porperly. 2nd May 19 at 6:10 AM
    I have got a 4 year old hoover fridge freezer which is not freezing very well. It has got 4 freezing compartments and we have found that a couple of them appear to be warmer than they should be even when the thermostat is set to maximum. Is this something that is worth getting fixed? If so who do you call to have a look at it? Unlike gas appliances, it is not obvious who can repair electric white goods.
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 2nd May 19, 6:20 AM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 5,195 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 2nd May 19, 6:20 AM
    • 2nd May 19, 6:20 AM
    Get a freezer thermometer to confirm. Thoroughly defrost and clean out all sections. Don't overfill the fridge section, air circulation is needed there. But freezer sections benefit from being kept full.
    • J B
    • By J B 2nd May 19, 10:06 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    J B
    • 2nd May 19, 10:06 AM
    • 2nd May 19, 10:06 AM
    We bought a 2nd hand Prestige fridge/freezer for our holiday rental apartment in N Wales.
    In mid August the freezer stopped freezing - long story short the local Mr Fixit discovered that these ones need regular defrosting to work properly, which is not something really possible/practical in a holiday rental!
    Maybe yours is the same??
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 2nd May 19, 11:44 AM
    • 3,796 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 2nd May 19, 11:44 AM
    • 2nd May 19, 11:44 AM
    If so who do you call to have a look at it? Unlike gas appliances, it is not obvious who can repair electric white goods.
    Originally posted by thor
    Domestic appliance repair man, usually plenty in the local paper or on a local website.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 2nd May 19, 9:03 PM
    • 36,631 Posts
    • 22,563 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 2nd May 19, 9:03 PM
    • 2nd May 19, 9:03 PM
    Make sure the air vents are clear(inside freezer) the warmer shelves may be covered, uprights can be overfilled.

Some single compresser FF have a diverter flap that sticks but that would tend to effect all drawers.
    • thor
    • By thor 3rd May 19, 12:45 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    • 3rd May 19, 12:45 AM
    • 3rd May 19, 12:45 AM
    We bought a 2nd hand Prestige fridge/freezer for our holiday rental apartment in N Wales.
    In mid August the freezer stopped freezing - long story short the local Mr Fixit discovered that these ones need regular defrosting to work properly, which is not something really possible/practical in a holiday rental!
    Maybe yours is the same??
    Originally posted by J B
    The freezer does not really need defrosting as there is hardly any ice. When it was working properly there used to be quite a bit of ice but as the freezer has got warmer the ice has stopped forming.
    • thor
    • By thor 3rd May 19, 12:47 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    • 3rd May 19, 12:47 AM
    • 3rd May 19, 12:47 AM
    Make sure the air vents are clear(inside freezer) the warmer shelves may be covered, uprights can be overfilled.

Some single compresser FF have a diverter flap that sticks but that would tend to effect all drawers.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    The freezer is not any more fuller than when it used to work properly but I'll have a look to find the air vents.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 3rd May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 36,631 Posts
    • 22,563 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 3rd May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 3rd May 19, 7:27 AM
    Whick model is it
    • thor
    • By thor 4th May 19, 1:44 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    • 4th May 19, 1:44 AM
    • 4th May 19, 1:44 AM
    Hoover HVBF5182BK
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 4th May 19, 8:11 AM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 5,195 Thanks
    buglawton
    Have you tried thoring it out
    (Sorry, couldn't resist that )
    • thor
    • By thor 17th Jun 19, 12:09 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    Update:
    Update:
    I took the plunge and bought a freezer thermometer and have discovered that the fridge section was between 1 and 3 degrees while the freezer varied from -3 to -7 degrees. The freezer being so warm finally spurred me to action and I emptied out the freezer and took the back panel off to discover that there was a hell of a lot of ice hiding there.
    It took nearly 50 minutes to melt it with a hairdryer then after wiping the interior down with a cloth I proceeded to put the back panel in. Unfortunately I only managed to get in 3 of the 6 screws but it was holding firm so I left it at that.

After switching the unit back on I immediately could tell that the freezer was getting down to a much lower temperature but now 6 hours on the fridge has still not cooled at all, being at room temperature.
    I know that cold air is blown from the freezer to the fridge so could my actions have caused this to fail? The fan which was attached to the back panel is still spinning so I can't see why the cold air circulation could have stopped. Does it take longer for the fridge to cool?
    Any ideas what I could have done to mess up the fridge?
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 17th Jun 19, 9:09 AM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    I presume that you have given the area around the motor etc a good clean with a brush & a vac ??
    After turning off & unplugging the appliance of course.
    Many fridge or freezer problems can be fixed with a good clean.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 17th Jun 19, 11:36 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    poppellerant
    At the back of the fridge, there should be a small tank with a small rubber/silicone pipe leading to it, which comes from inside the fridge freezer. On my fridge freezer, this tank is on top of the compressor, so that any heat encourages the water in the tank to evaporate.

The pipe leading to the tank might be blocked with a little bit of food. A few years ago, my freezer was leaking small amount of water from the door - the defrost cycle would melt any ice on the bottom, subsequently finding it's way to the kitchen floor! So this is likely the cause of the build of ice in the freezer, as the excess water has nowhere to drain. I was lucky enough to have a pipe cleaner which I poked through the pipe to clean it out and my fridge freezer has been fine ever since.

You might want to investigate the airflow of your fridge freezer, as this may also be blocked too. Look for holes and vents in the fridge section and gently prod with a pipe cleaner. If you encounter a blockage, I would allow some boiling water to stand in the pipe/vent before using any amount of physical force with anything.

You mentioned the fridge freezer is a Hoover, what model is it?
    • thor
    • By thor 18th Jun 19, 12:37 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    The fridge temp is now floating between 7 and 12 degrees so is still a bit too high. There is nothing around the back of the fridge freezer so did not see any tank or pipes. Before I used I melted the internal ice the fridge temp was fine so I doubt the problem is due to the pipes from the tank.

I have looked for vents in the fridge section but they must be well concealed because I have yet to find one.
    My hoover modal is HVBF5182BK
    • spo2
    • By spo2 18th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    spo2
    I've used this before - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/fridge-freezer-repairs-431-commercial.html

They refund in full if it's not fixable
    • thor
    • By thor 19th Jun 19, 6:53 PM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    It's now been a few days since I melted the ice and it looks like it has done the trick. The freezer shows -30 when set at max coldness and is -25 when turned to the medium setting which is where I have left it. The fridge has been getting colder by the day and is now operating at between zero and 5 degrees which I find acceptable.
    Only thing now is that I have to see how long it will take for the ice to build up again. Hopefully the defrost system will kick in so I won't need to go through a manual defrost again.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 20th Jun 19, 6:34 AM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 5,195 Thanks
    buglawton
    So my post #2 2nd March wasn't so far off the mark then?
    Thoroughly defrost and clean out all sections.
    • thor
    • By thor 24th Jun 19, 12:01 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    So my post #2 2nd March wasn't so far off the mark then?
    Originally posted by buglawton
    yeah sure seems so. The question now is did the ice build up because the defrost mechanism failed? If so, how long before it affects the freezer's performance again?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

3,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin