Fridge Freezer not freezing porperly.

Options
2»

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I presume that you have given the area around the motor etc a good clean with a brush & a vac ??
    After turning off & unplugging the appliance of course.
    Many fridge or freezer problems can be fixed with a good clean.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    At the back of the fridge, there should be a small tank with a small rubber/silicone pipe leading to it, which comes from inside the fridge freezer. On my fridge freezer, this tank is on top of the compressor, so that any heat encourages the water in the tank to evaporate.

The pipe leading to the tank might be blocked with a little bit of food. A few years ago, my freezer was leaking small amount of water from the door - the defrost cycle would melt any ice on the bottom, subsequently finding it's way to the kitchen floor! So this is likely the cause of the build of ice in the freezer, as the excess water has nowhere to drain. I was lucky enough to have a pipe cleaner which I poked through the pipe to clean it out and my fridge freezer has been fine ever since.

You might want to investigate the airflow of your fridge freezer, as this may also be blocked too. Look for holes and vents in the fridge section and gently prod with a pipe cleaner. If you encounter a blockage, I would allow some boiling water to stand in the pipe/vent before using any amount of physical force with anything.

You mentioned the fridge freezer is a Hoover, what model is it?
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The fridge temp is now floating between 7 and 12 degrees so is still a bit too high. There is nothing around the back of the fridge freezer so did not see any tank or pipes. Before I used I melted the internal ice the fridge temp was fine so I doubt the problem is due to the pipes from the tank.

I have looked for vents in the fridge section but they must be well concealed because I have yet to find one.
    My hoover modal is HVBF5182BK
  • spo2
    spo2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've used this before - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/fridge-freezer-repairs-431-commercial.html

They refund in full if it's not fixable
  • thor
    Options
    It's now been a few days since I melted the ice and it looks like it has done the trick. The freezer shows -30 when set at max coldness and is -25 when turned to the medium setting which is where I have left it. The fridge has been getting colder by the day and is now operating at between zero and 5 degrees which I find acceptable.
    Only thing now is that I have to see how long it will take for the ice to build up again. Hopefully the defrost system will kick in so I won't need to go through a manual defrost again.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So my post #2 2nd March wasn't so far off the mark then?
    Thoroughly defrost and clean out all sections.
  • thor
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    So my post #2 2nd March wasn't so far off the mark then?
    yeah sure seems so. The question now is did the ice build up because the defrost mechanism failed? If so, how long before it affects the freezer's performance again?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure