Trapped by NRAM!

Options
dunchorler
dunchorler Posts: 9 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hello all,

I would appreciate some advice on our financial situation. When we purchased our first house in 2005, we took out a 125% mortgage. We have long since sold this house and purchase two other in the mean time. However, having paid off the 95% that was secured against our first house, we still have a hefty chunk (approx £27K) outstanding with NRAM which is unsecured. We are having to fork out about £250 per month (at about 9.7%) at the moment to pay it off and there are still 20 odd years left on it. Has anyone got any ideas of how to consolidate this - what is the best way? We did consider getting two personal loans over 7 years a couple of years ago but we had small children at the time and hence couldn't afford it. We now have a bit more disposable income so we're looking at getting rid of this debt. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Pay extra each month, see if you can get some overtime, sell anything that you don’t need, and if you can get any 0% cards switch debt to those via spending on them and using the cash saved to pay off more of the debt.

And don’t Let it get you down, you lived in a far nicer house than you otherwise could have, and had a chunk of money extra which you spent on things that you wanted at the time. As you knew at the time, you were choosing jam today over champagne tomorrow, and you always knew there would be lean times in the future. They have now arrived but it’s not a disaster, just time to tighten your belt a bit.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Look to refinance from another lender to see if you can get an APR better than 9.7%.

Be warned though that consolidation loans don't tend to get the headline interest rates, as lenders have no guarantee you'll use the 'new' loan to pay off the 'old' one, and so will assess you on having, in your case, £54k of debt. Depending on your income you might not be eligible for a loan.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunchorler wrote: »
    We have long since sold this house and purchase two other in the mean time.

No doubt you've benefited from the broader increase in house prices and low mortgage interest rates during this time. Was your choice to do so rather than prioritise the loan. Suggest you overpay by whatever you can scrimp together. As this will considerably shorten the remaining term.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Overpay the loan to get rid of it sooner.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Also, if you have two properties, how are you trapped?

Sell one.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, if you have two properties, how are you trapped?

Sell one.

They don't have two houses ? They've moved twice since the original loan, that how I read it anyway.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    They don't have two houses ? They've moved twice since the original loan, that how I read it anyway.
    Yes, I suppose it’s possible that they mean this.

In that case it’s back to my first post, they spent their future earnings early so now have a few lean years coming to get back onto an even keel, if you’ll accept a mixed metaphor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure