PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I re-elastic pj bottoms in these circs. Takes about 5 mins and 20p of elastic. Open up the elastic channel at centre back with a quick-unpick, pierce elastic end with a large safety pin then thread it through, overlap the ends by an inch or so, stitch elastic to itself by hand, and then close the channel.

Don't bother trying to remove the old elastic, the edge of it is usually incorporated into the overlocking of the waistband. Just leave it in, you'll never notice the extra thickness but you will notice that your jammies don't keep sliding ankle-wards.

Easy-peasy, cheap as chips and really makes those comfy pjs last until they're worn out. HTH.

TBH they're too big and will probably start to develop holes soon. Not fit for the CS, but apparently the homeless shelter want PJs and will take worn ones, so I'll offer them there. If not they'll go in the rag bag. I have plenty of other pairs (cast offs from my mother mostly), so I'm not in danger of running out. I'm trying to make myself get rid of tatty clothes as I need to try not to look quite so alarmingly scruffy. I know PJs aren't generally seen by the public, but I might as well apply the same standard across the board!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :p I've always thought people would kill themselves laughing if they saw me in my jammies. Most of them aren't even in pairs, they were bought as separates secondhand. The ones I'm styling tonight are brushed cotton red, white and grey norwegian-style reindeer print bottoms and a brushed cotton nightshirt top which is a two-shades-of-lilac-and-white plaid.

Both have been mended and are beautifully soft and when they're worn up, I shall thank them and rag-bag them. Cost me 50p each.

I have several mismatched 'pairs' of jammies like this, probably too many, but some of them are on heavy rotation and will be worn out in a few months, so the ongoing inventory will be much smaller.

Dropped in on my pal's juntique shop after w*rk for a chat and assisted someone to spend £100 on various items. I won't say I'm a brilliant saleswoman but I'm friendly and helpful. My reward was a kit-kat and a cuppa and a nice thank-you............ :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 7:33PM
    So i kondo'd a few sets of ashes today finally :-) they arent achieving anything in my wardrobe was nice to set them free in a wonderful place.

I have a small slide that i am going to give to one of the childrens nursery next week :-)

The boys room is nearly completely kondo'd too well until the 26th December! !! Eek

The get rid pile in the living room is going down piece by piece maybe more tomorrow if nanny has the kids for a bit :-) may even get in a tip run.hope theres a charity shop open tomorrow. ......
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Fun bit of Kondoing today, going through a shoebox of old costume jewellery. Gosh, the earrings I used to wear! A bagful went off to the CS, along with yet more glasses.

I feel like I'm peeling an onion of "stuff". The obvious layers have gone and now I'm getting to the real nitty gritty of who I am. :)
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've just remembered, I rented a room in a house many years ago where I had a microwave, bar fridge and kettle in my room as my cooking facilities (a big improvement on the previous place which had just a kettle). The ironing board doubled up as my kitchen work surface for when I was cooking.

This evening I've opened up a parcel from the 'Big River' company. Ordered a cream fire screen to hide the hideous gas fire in our new house. They've sent us a wicker basket. About as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I'm wondering if there's somebody wondering why they've got a fire screen instead of a wicker basket.......... It wasn't the river company themselves but one of their sellers.

Blooming nuisance, we're visiting the house tomorrow we could have taken it with us. At least we unpacked it and found out the error here.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ahhh Minnie, that was nice, setting the ashes free

All this talk of kondo, people getting on with it, it is making me think again. I have a tall thin cupboard in my en suite and have decided to make it half full rather than full. Sigh, these bits are not easy but I keep wondering how I would actually downsize, push will come to shove soon, with a bit of luck, if I find a new home. I am going to go through a room at a time, again, starting with en suite, then my bedroom. The upside is that I will be busy all weekend, so it won`t matter if I don`t see anyone. It is nice to have a plan

You are all good examples, it was the toiletries and then the costume jewellery that is helping my mindset move forward
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Just been into my folder of smallish bits of giftwrap, ends of rolls etc, and found enough to wrap three gifts which will be leaving at the weekend on the Family Parcel Service (will be going to someone on the other side of the county near their home but not mine). Much more economical than posting them, and a fraction less paper (and a gift bag!) reduction of in-house inventory.

And yes, I was using my ironing board as a wrapping station......... :D

As it's up there, I might as well quickly iron a couple of things ready for next week. Won't take 5 mins and half the chore is getting the toys out, isn't it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 9:54PM
    Thanks kittie.yes on a beautiful area of beach that we all loved to go to together and i will continue to enjoy going to with my children and dogs . Some of them have sat in my wardrobe for years finally realised thats no place for my loved ones to be :-) i am ready to move on.

As ive said before i dont deal with bereavement very well but have decided today on the way back that all the things i am holding onto are never going to fulfill their purpose sitting in my cupboard with no one allowed to touch them.if my grandad (my dad to me) was still alive i would be making full use of them.preserving these items does not preserve him no matter how much i try.i even have a random piece of paper with his writing on. So i am going to use these things and enjoy using them

I also have a very beautiful radley handbag that my grandad bought for me that was involved in a horrendous car accident i had it has many scratches in the leather and not looking its best.the accident was before he died but i have other bags so i swapped to another but then after he died i just hold onto it because he bought it. The accident also represents the time i some how didnt die even though i should have and it also represents my brain tumour either growing from the trauma or developing because of the trauma (i rolled the car 4x roof came off and my head was hitting the road every roll) but i have decided to either ditch it or see if i can repair it and kondo it to my friend.

I dont go as far as to thank my house nor do i attend to my possessions as much as Marie does but she has made me view things differently with my house (its not in the best of states its needs a lot of work) and possessions and for that i am grateful.she has come into my life at the right time not had the best of years this year either but now it is going to be the year pf change.although few years earlier would have been great though!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Minnie, I hope you have many happy times, on the beach, remembering your loved ones with joyful thoughts. There's nothing quite like a happy dog, on a beach to spark joy...

It might be very cathartic to let the Radley bag go, it sounds a very visual reminder of what you suffered. A much wiser person than me on here, advised that we should think what our loved one would say to us about keeping something that made us sad, that they had given us.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 6:53AM
    Minnie, I empathise so much. That letting go is part of the healing that can come, if we let it, after a period of bereavement and that enables us to move forward. I regard KM as the backbone of my own personal journey. You mentioned lots of momentoes, that was hard but little by little it can be done. If you gather a group of them together, then pick just one small one to represent all the others. Photos were particularly tough but I made sure that everything was copied onto cds and memory sticks, the children each received a cd from me. Then I bought lovely small `industrial` frames from ebay, thin bronze metal edged and they opened wide, like a book. I copied lots of pictures and just cut parts of some to make collages but with spacing in between, I put a little sticky thing on the back of each and closed the frames. I have 5 in different sizes and they give me very great joy. One contains very old sepia and white pictures of my grandparents. So much better than being in a big box, tucked away. They stand on a bookshelf with a bronze resin ammonite lamp and a large bronze resin hare and as a group, well I could not want for more. KM enabled this, saw me through that initially difficult and traumatic process, from grey and sad to sunshine

I am excited today, slept well and woke up excited because there will be very real progress in my en suite and bedroom, this weekend. This is the time, at last, when I will take away good items to make room for energy flow. Things like lovely kipling suitcases stored under the bed and never used.

I keep thinking back to the days when we lived in a very small caravan for 6 months and I also think to the `what if` like when my husband had to do some professional photos in a newly built and lovely supported care campus, I went with him to help. Each person had one tiny bedroom for a single bed, a minute kitchen, tiny weeny living room and small bathroom. Many would have gone there from large houses, imagine having to clear out so suddenly. KM is obviously different for different generations and circumstances but it has a very real place for everyone at any stage of life

Soon I go upstairs, with a lightness in my step, this stage will be mega for me and I will see very real progress on my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure