Blogging

Comments

• Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I blog, mainly for myself. I can have a bit of a moan or tell a story about something that's happened. I don't make a penny as I really don't blog consistently. I do review books and have had a couple of freebie's. Luckily I have even been able to choose them myself so tend to go for something I think I would like and be able to promote positively.

When I first started I had the intention of it being about the family. To be honest, if I did that I'd do nothing but moan! I have a dog, I love books so I write about what comes to mind.

Maybe one day I'll make some money out of it.

Naomi
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • There's no doubt that some people do make money from blogging, but in order to make decent money, you need to be able to attract visitors. In order to do this, you're going to need to create something fairly unique. So if you're thinking about setting up a blog from scratch, you really want to have a good think about what topic you are going to focus on.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't make a huge amount from my website, but my affiliates generate 3 - 4 times as much income as Google Adsense does.

It depends on your niche if you have one, if there are affiliates in that area of interest it's well worth looking into it.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • NotNormal
    NotNormal Posts: 193 Forumite
    Ilona wrote: »
    Thank you, I wondered why my page views have been creeping up again, ha ha. I have written a paper diary since 1963, doing it electronically is an extension of that.

I'm glad you say it's honest, because it's a personal record of how I live my life, and I would not be able to say that if I had guest posts full of adverts, product and service reviews, and stand alone adverts. I have to be true to the principles of my blog which is living a good life on a pension, it's not about making more money.

However, if anyone wants to make money writing a blog, then by all means do it. But I don't consider that is a blog in the true sense of the word. Writing about freebie products or services, is advertising by the back door. At least when you read my blog you know no one is paying me to say nice things about them.

Ilona

I think it really does depend on the balance. I read many blogs and some balance it really well, if you review a drill when you are doing a home reno then that's fine. But if you're a food blog and you suddenly start reviewing free make up then it ruins it.

I have blogged casually for a few years but I will be hitting it hard after Christmas as a creative outlet while I'm not working. I may get a small amount of money from it but mostly I'm just aiming to break even if that makes sense?
    No more making the same mistakes!
    Debt Paid £549/£2735 20.1%
  • NotNormal
    NotNormal Posts: 193 Forumite
    Sounds like a plan. If you already know the direction you want to go in then like you said it's just a case of hitting it hard and putting more content up and doing more promotion.

I started by blog about Money just over 3 years ago now and bring in four figures a month from it from affiliate money alone let alone sponsored posts so the money is there to be earned if you are able to produce content long term and are willing to get involved with the endless promotion on social media that will take up more of your time than actually writing blog posts lol

It's a mix of things really so I suppose it would come under a lifestyle blog or something. I'm all new at the getting money from it side though, I've always done the product testing and reviewing with the occasional small competition but I've never done the ads and affiliates. Any tips? As I said my aim is to cover costs, anything extra is a bonus
    No more making the same mistakes!
    Debt Paid £549/£2735 20.1%
  • Is there any way at all to monetise blogging on Wordpress.com's free plan? I'm running a blog about my spending issues, but I can't have ads on my blog unless I upgrade it, which I'm wary to do.
    Christmas Fund: £10/£70 (for the few remaining gifts + decorations)
  • magicdance wrote: »
    Is there any way at all to monetise blogging on Wordpress.com's free plan? I'm running a blog about my spending issues, but I can't have ads on my blog unless I upgrade it, which I'm wary to do.

I'm guessing the best way would be affiliate links through places like Amazon and Affiliate Window or by finding sponsored opportunities.

I've never used the free Wordpress plan (only Blogger) so I'm not sure how you could get around it.

Why are you wary of upgrading? I find self-hosting so much simpler than using a free site because you have a lot more flexibility to do with it what you want. I personally believe that if you want to make money with a blog you have to spend a little in the right places and how you run the blog is one of those right places ;)
  • I have four wordpress blogs which generate income purely from display banner advertising i.e. no promoted content, paid articles, or affiliate links.

I make around £300 to £400 a month from Adsense and another £400 a month from other display network advertisers.

I do this as a hobby and have a full time job which is unrelated to blogging. You can make good money from blogging if you put the time and effort in.

My advice to anyone else looking to start a blog is to choose a topic you are really interested in and forget about earning money to start with. Don't just write random articles about your life, you must focus on something very specific.

You will need to write a lot of good quality content that you are knowledgeable about, to have any chance of getting the required number of visitors to make a decent amount of money.

There are many different methods to be successful, but what has worked for me is:-

Only use .com domain names.

Use a cheap managed wordpress provider to host your initial wordpress site. For example with Godaddy you can get your first full years hosting and a .com domain name for under £20. When your site is successful you can look to move.

Choose a really simple and clean wordpress template that looks good on desktop and mobile.

Try and publish at least two 300 word+ posts a week. If you can write longer posts great, but don't publish any posts under 300 words.

Do this for at least three months with no advertising, at which point you should notice your visitors increasing week on week. Providing your visitors keep increasing, then keep going.

After you have a decent number of visitors then you can think about advertising, better hosting and all the other stuff that comes with running a successful blog.

I don't put ads on a site until I have 1,000 page views a day, but it does depend on what you write about as you can make money on less.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm guessing the best way would be affiliate links through places like Amazon and Affiliate Window or by finding sponsored opportunities.

I've never used the free Wordpress plan (only Blogger) so I'm not sure how you could get around it.

Why are you wary of upgrading? I find self-hosting so much simpler than using a free site because you have a lot more flexibility to do with it what you want. I personally believe that if you want to make money with a blog you have to spend a little in the right places and how you run the blog is one of those right places ;)

Do you need to know any web design-y coding-y stuff (can you tell I don't know the jargon?!) to move to self-hosting? I enjoy using the free site, but would like the flexibility of self-hosting. But I really cannot face having to learn too much techy stuff as I am just trying to focus on the writing and photography. I have heard so many horror stories of people changing one design aspect of their self-hosted blog and then finding the whole site throws a wobbly. I do like just being able to fill in a template.
  • I have a blog which luckily went viral last year (Daily Mail/CNN etc)
    I haven't made any money off it yet, but have had sponsored hotels/trips/items sent to me.
    I hope 2017 I can start making some money from it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure