Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Spreading the word about your biz, and what you can do/how quickly, is probably important, so its good that you've been in touch with the agencies.

Have a good walk over to the PO - lovely sunshine here, and I'm off out myself soon :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forgot to mention a couple of bits of luck over the past few days: DH rang up to close a long dormant B**claycard account on Friday evening. They did not want him to leave.... he ended up with a £25 credit on his account! And yesterday I had a letter from Sc0ttishp0wer saying that we were owed some money from when we left them, which would be credited to our account within a fortnight. Now SP were not our last fuel provider and I'm pretty sure when we left them I had to ask and wait a long time, but I did get my credit back... so I can't imagine this will be much, but I'm amused by the fact that they're sending us anything, at least 3 years after we left them! It'll probably be pennies :)

Speaking of, just been over to post a few more tiny sales (profit £3), and found a penny on the floor :) - scanning the floor constantly obviously pays off!

Will be spending today reminding agencies I've not worked for for years that I'm here (and please could they send me some work!!).

Also going to sort out some currency for our holiday later in the year - before the £ nosedives again with Article 50. :( Fortunately I put this away a while ago.

Things to be grateful for (much needed):
    * lovely smiles from niece yesterday and nice lunch with mum and sis
    * sunshine today!
    * small progress on decluttering with Ebay sales
    * evening class tonight (and while I haven't yet done the homework, I've been doing other bits to practice all week :) )
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    That was good finding a penny ,you should have lots of good luck now .Well done on getting the £25 credit too .
  • themadvix
    edited 7 March 2017 at 4:32PM
    Thanks TH - hope the penny pays off!

Have just finished reading MvM's thread from the beginning - wow, I wish I had his motivation! I love the ebaying of random found items! You don't want to rummage in rubbish 'round here. :(

Spent much of this morning updating my professional profiles on website I'd forgotten I even had profiles on. Had positive replies from the two agencies I've sent my up-to-date details to, so fingers crossed all this will make a difference. Will continue to contact further agencies over the next few days (the dealing with small print on the website was giving me a headache). Have established (sneakily) that new project for big client doesn't seem to have started without me (which I was beginning to worry about), so thinking it's probably just a bit late this time around.

Have just taken a batch of biccies out of the oven, so those will last the next couple of weeks of snacks. Bonus is that oven has warmed me/house up a bit - have resisted putting heating on (it might be sunny, but it's cold out!)

Am now considering mowing the lawn.... am I mad?!

ETA: I forgot to say I'd ordered holiday cash - from Sains, was one of the top rates and got an even better rate with my Nctar card :) Picking that up tomorrow afternoon.

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ooooh freshly baked biscuits....I'm impressed that they will last you a few weeks, mine only last a few days if I'm lucky :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    Morning All!

KK - home made biscuits are generally the only sort here as I try to avoid unnecessary plastic packaging, so I bake all goodies! So maybe that affects how quickly they go down? I also made a double batch, so that helps too.

A little bit of work to do this morning - yay! And I'll continue to contact past clients and see what happens.

I need to have a look and see what seeds I've got in the cupboard and start planning what I'm going to grow this year. Problem is, we don't really have anywhere we can start seedlings off under cover as the cats like to eat them and knock things over. I have a tiny Ikea glass house (footprint the size of a seed tray), so I might need to call that into use. Am also wondering if it's worth starting any seedlings to take as babies to the car boot - I've got the compost (I think!) and the seeds and pots, so little to no cost and might make a few pennies. I'll see what I've got and have a think. The kale my Dad bought me is at last beginning to grow - might get more than a few leaves from it after all!

Not sure what else the day holds, apart from surveys and housework (there's always plenty of that to be getting on with!). There's a man coming later to collect something I put on Freecycle and I need to collect the currency from Sains later - will get a few bits of food while I'm there, so not a NSD.

Back later to update!

• atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Hey hun which thread was it you've read from the beginning? I need some motivation today xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • themadvix
    It was Man vs Mortage with Rasputin Thorpedo - he has far too much energy! Hope it helps!

• themadvix
    Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of us getting the keys to our first home together and so today is the 5th anniversary of my diary (with gaps!). In that time we've paid off £30,000 and reduced the term of the mortgage by 4.5 years. They're about the only stats I can give as I don't have my original OP spreadsheet! :rotfl: Either way, I'm pretty pleased with this progress, especially considering we took a couple of years off while saving for a fancy holiday (and doing some other life-enhancing things). At the moment we're not projected to get under £100K until October, but hopefully we'll be able to bring this forward soon.

Work is still desperately quiet, so although we have an OP ready to go, we're holding onto the money at the moment. I have just emailed my main client to ask about the big project - I'd been putting it off as I don't want to come across as entitled (and it always sounds a bit desperate to ask!), but I really do need to know now. Fingers crossed it's just a bit late starting.

I didn't update yesterday as there wasn't much to say - a little bit of work, surveys, lots of housework, cut the grass :T, the usual. DH and I had meal planned enchiladas and a beer for dinner to celebrate 5 years here... not quite the fish and chips we had the night we got the keys!

I did sell an item on ebay that ended last night - should be about £5 after fees. Will pop it in the post later. I'm meeting a Guiding friend later at a community museum - only for an hour, so hoping we'll avoid a cuppa. I'll pay in a cheque for expenses that's owed to DH later (only £8, but every penny counts at the moment) and I need to pick up some milk (2pts, carefully calculated to last to Monday when next delivery is). I've been being good and having porridge for breakfast most days, which is much cheaper than cornflakes and I use a lot less milk. Dinner for tonight is fridge-bottom stir fry (Friday night special) and tomorrow we're having hm pizzas - all from stores. DH and I are going to be like ships passing next week, so I need to have a look at the meal plan and come up with some quick and easy meals - I bought a dozen eggs last week, so think these might be featuring!

SIL is overdue for having her baby now, so at some point we'll be going up to visit them and will need to buy a present (am hoping it's a boy, as I have a card and wrapping paper already!). I'm also taking Mum out next weekend - we're going to the seaside - the trip has been long in the planning, and everyone else in the family is away, so we thought we'd treat ourselves. I'll be paying as it's part of her big birthday present - this shouldn't be a problem, probably only fuel and some lunch/a snack (I might even take snacks).

Still no sign of the SP 'refund' in our account - I'm checking daily, even though I'm sure it'll be pennies!:rotfl:

Things I'm grateful for (focusing a lot on these at the moment):
    * glorious sunshine yesterday - 3 loads of washing done, lawn mowed AND I got to sit out in the sun and eat my lunch - spring has arrived!!
    * smell of freshly cut grass :)
    * chilled night in with DH, binge-watching Nashville
    * meeting friend today for a natter

• themadvix
    Didn't manage to update yesterday as I was inundated with work!:T It seems there are advantages in my line of work to Brexit - temporary ones at least. Urgent work had to be completed in case May triggers Article 50 today (although it seems like she won't). So I didn't have time to do anything else, apart from post some ebay parcels. Am annoyed with myself as I messed up the postage and made virtually nothing on one of the items as a result. Ho hum, you live and learn.... I took the other messed up one down to the courier collection point instead. I hope the purchaser doesn't mind that it's not coming by RM.

Have been paid by VB, so have transferred another £23 into the OP fund. SP have refunded us £20 - no idea where from, but am very pleased about this.... also transferred to the OP fund!

More work this morning, so I'm feeling like I'm beginning to get back onto an even keel, which is a huge relief, financially and mentally...

Am still eating porridge for breakfast, which is having very positive effects on our milk consumption :) Have cancelled this week's veg box again as DH is away one night with work and then all weekend on a stag do.

I met a friend for dinner last night (after some volunteering). Had two courses in a the pub for £5 - there was a set menu and she had a the starter and I had the main and dessert all for £10.49 and then we got 20% discount too with her AA membership! Result! £8.22 for our dinner was pretty good :D

Today I'm hoping to get work done in time to see sis and niece as they're going away for a long weekend. Also need to do my h/w for evening class and remember to pick DH from the station (he's in London today) :rotfl: It's amazing how a bit of work can change my whole outlook on life :)

Oh, and SIL had her baby on Sunday morning - a girl, so I have to buy a card, wrap and present! We'll be going to see them in a couple of weeks, so I nab these bits next time I pop into town.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback