Bankruptcy Credit Reference File Clean Up - Discussion

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    While technically the satisfaction date should be your discharge date, as long as it is there it is of very small consequence if not. The credit file entry still drops off 6 years from you BR date, no matter what.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Rscott93
    Rscott93 Posts: 51
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thankyou!

As there is only 3 of them who have not changed it to the discharge date, and the dates are at most 60 days after, I don't think I will bother.

It's very unlikely I will be applying for any sort of credit in the next 4-5 years other than to rebuild my rating so that when I need to apply for a mortgage I should be able to obtain one.

Thanks for the help Fermi.

I have also sent my complaint to the Information Commissioner with all required evidence / documents. I will update on here once any progress has been made.
  • DesperatelyLost
    DesperatelyLost Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2018 at 2:25PM
    Hi,

My BR 'should' drop off my credit file later this year :T

For a variety of reasons I've been a bit slack in checking/making sure my file is up to date.

I've signed up to a free trial with Equifax, and most of my grizzly past appears to be correct, with the exception of 2 - details of 1 below.

Mortgage from ****** / XXXXXXXXXXX800P
    Name Mr ******* Date of Birth *****
    Monthly Terms 0 @ £ *** Status Settled
    Payment Frequency Monthly Current Balance £ 0
    Start Balance £ 0 Credit Limit £ 0
    Default / Delinquent Balance £ ***** Start Date **/**/2007
    Date Updated **/**/2014 Date Last Delinquent
    Date Satisfied **/**/2014 Default Date **/**/2014

If I was BR in 2011, am I correct in thinking that the Default Date should be the date of my BR?

Also, If I do not have the account number for the incorrect entry on my file, will this cause a problem when I write to them to update the entry, and also, another problem, I printed copies of the discharge notice, but I appear to have misplaced them, along with my BR certificate :embarasse

1 final question - Financial Associates - my ex wife is showing still, 'last updated **/**/2010' - will this entry be removed, or do I have to request removal, if so, who/how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance :beer:

Edit: I have now found my BR Certificate & confirmation of my discharge
  • NINANinja
    NINANinja Posts: 52 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2018 at 8:06PM
    NINANinja wrote: »
    Morning Folks
    I posted on here a couple of months ago saying my Experian credit report had some serious errors on it. To be fair, Experian were really quick to contact the lenders and put most of it right.
    But I still have an issue with O2, who have refused to amend my record unless I send them my Statement of Affairs. I’ve already sent them a copy of my BO and DO.
    I queried this with them, saying that they can clearly see that the debt was pre-BR. They said that unless I sent the Statement of Affairs to prove that this debt was included in the BR, they wouldn’t amend the record.
    However, the same debt is shown as Settled on my date of discharge on their records in my Call Credit and Equifax reports... I’ve told them this but it has made no difference.
    Plus, the debt showing on my Experian report was initially marked ‘Settled’ (£0) but for some reason was reinstated by O2 in September 2015 (I was discharged in Dec 14). I’m worried that they now think this is a new debt!
    Is it normal to be asked for a copy of the Statement of Affairs?
    I’m also thinking that even if the debt wasn’t on the SOA, then it’s still a debt in BR, having been incurred prior to BR proceedings?
    I’ve raised a formal complaint with O2, and will report this to my OR and the Information Commissioner next week, but would welcome thoughts on this from my fellow ‘File Cleaner-uppers’.
    Thanks and have a good weekend

Update
    Information Commissioner has told O2 to put my file right and given them a warning, stating they were on breach of the DPA. The warning stays in force for 3 years. O2 have apologised and admitted they shouldn’t ask anyone for their SOA.
  • Hi,

My BR 'should' drop off my credit file later this year :T

For a variety of reasons I've been a bit slack in checking/making sure my file is up to date.

I've signed up to a free trial with Equifax, and most of my grizzly past appears to be correct, with the exception of 2 - details of 1 below.

Mortgage from ****** / XXXXXXXXXXX800P
    Name Mr ******* Date of Birth *****
    Monthly Terms 0 @ £ *** Status Settled
    Payment Frequency Monthly Current Balance £ 0
    Start Balance £ 0 Credit Limit £ 0
    Default / Delinquent Balance £ ***** Start Date **/**/2007
    Date Updated **/**/2014 Date Last Delinquent
    Date Satisfied **/**/2014 Default Date **/**/2014

If I was BR in 2011, am I correct in thinking that the Default Date should be the date of my BR?

Also, If I do not have the account number for the incorrect entry on my file, will this cause a problem when I write to them to update the entry, and also, another problem, I printed copies of the discharge notice, but I appear to have misplaced them, along with my BR certificate :embarasse

1 final question - Financial Associates - my ex wife is showing still, 'last updated **/**/2010' - will this entry be removed, or do I have to request removal, if so, who/how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance :beer:

Edit: I have now found my BR Certificate & confirmation of my discharge

Some of my details have been updated. One called me within a week of sending the letters to apologise.

Which date is the most important, the Default or Satisfied date? One entry shows Default Date as the date of my BR, but the Satisfied Date is the day I was discharged (this is on Equifax).

I've waited 8 weeks since sending the letters, I suppose now I have to contact the slacking ones again?
  • fermi
    Forumite
    Which date is the most important, the Default or Satisfied date? One entry shows Default Date as the date of my BR, but the Satisfied Date is the day I was discharged (this is on Equifax).

The default date governs when the entry drops off, so that is the crucial one to be correct.
    I've waited 8 weeks since sending the letters, I suppose now I have to contact the slacking ones again?

Yes, you give them one last chance.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Hi, sorry... I’m a bit confused.
    I had a DRO in August 2017 which automatically finalised in August this year. I’ve contacted my creditors as they weren’t showing details of the DRO. All but one has now fixed it and it shows partially setttled.
    Question - if my account should show as partially settled after August last year, should creditors still be reporting a ‘default’?
    Also, TSB say they have issues with their credit card reporting and it may take several weeks to fix. How long do I wait until I complain to ICO over this breach?
    Thanks
  • fermi
    Forumite
    matilda.cs wrote: »
    Hi, sorry... I’m a bit confused.
    I had a DRO in August 2017 which automatically finalised in August this year. I’ve contacted my creditors as they weren’t showing details of the DRO. All but one has now fixed it and it shows partially setttled.
    Question - if my account should show as partially settled after August last year, should creditors still be reporting a ‘default’?
    Also, TSB say they have issues with their credit card reporting and it may take several weeks to fix. How long do I wait until I complain to ICO over this breach?
    Thanks

It stays a default, but should be recorded as a satisfied or partially satisfied one.

Tell TSB that their issues are not relevant (they can send a manual update if the they could be bothered), and that you will be making a complaint to the FOS and ICO at 8 weeks from your initial complaint.

• Hi all
    My husband & I were discharged from backruptcy in 2016 but a few are still showing on our credit files as outstanding, and we are getting letters from debt collection agencies so I want to contact the individual companies to update our records.

We've both had the 'free trial' for our credit reports over the last few years - is our only option to pay £14.99 each to get our full reports to get them updated? Or is there another way to get the full report for free or less than £14.99 each?

Thanks in advance
  • You can get all three files free via MSE Credit Club, Clearscore and Noddle.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback