IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Car has been cloned but how do you prove it?

Comments

• Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • ryan121
    ryan121 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Update:

The parking charge has been cancelled.

I only sent pictures of my car but also made a few points. GB on number plates in their pictures but not on my car. There are two Aldi stores within a five minute drive of my house so it makes absolutely no sense I would drive to an Aldi so far away and I don't even shop at Aldi. I finally made the point their process is flawed as they only go by the number plate but my case shows that isn't enough when car cloning is an issue. It's also concerning the picture quality is so bad especially at night when that's what they rely on as evidence.

I presume they believed there was too much doubt for them to be successful in a court case.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 11:02PM
    If you have not already done so You need to report this to the police now, tonight. The car could be involved in a bank robbery, or a hit and run. What a goose you will look when they break down your front door.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • ryan121
    They're hardly criminal masterminds. So far they've only spent two hours in an Aldi car park on a Saturday night. The police clearly aren't interested so I'm not wasting my time. Would be happy for them to turn up at my door, maybe they'd take it more seriously then.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Complain to the BPA, the DVLA, ALDI, and your MP that you have been accused of committing an offence even though you are innocent, because Parking Lie use a not fit for purpose ANPR system.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2018 at 11:10PM
    ryan121 wrote: »
    They're hardly criminal masterminds. So far they've only spent two hours in an Aldi car park on a Saturday night. The police clearly aren't interested so I'm not wasting my time. Would be happy for them to turn up at my door, maybe they'd take it more seriously then.

It is not a cloned car. You seem to want to not blame ParkingEye, but it's far more likely that it's a mistake in the ANPR reading/enhancement of an image in the dark. Happens a lot, I've helped with such a case before and seen plenty in the press.

Not a cloned vehicle at all, PE will likely now re-examine the pics in the dark and 'enhance' them again, going after someone else.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ryan121
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    It is not a cloned car. You seem to want to not blame ParkingEye, but it's far more likely that it's a mistake in the ANPR reading/enhancement of an image in the dark. Happens a lot, I've helped with such a case before and seen plenty in the press.

Not a cloned vehicle at all, PE will likely now re-examine the pics in the dark and 'enhance' them again, going after someone else.

I find that hard to believe but if that's the case then the way these companies operate is far more concerning than I originally thought.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ryan121 wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe but if that's the case then the way these companies operate is far more concerning than I originally thought.

Yes the way these companies operate certainly is far more concerning than you originally thought.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I will put money on the fact it hasn't been cloned.

Please Sir Deep can you point this person in the direction of raising a complaint?
  • ryan121
    It's not right they can so easily accuse someone like me with such weak evidence. Sadly from my experience dealing wirh this no one really cares. There needs to be more regulation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure