Getting someone in to lay loft flooring...

We need to put boards down in our loft so we can put things into our loft easily and not have them balanced around our loft hatch (as they are at the moment)....neither me or my DH are any good at DIY so we need to get people in to do this for us.

My question is....what should we be looking for when people give us quotes ie thickness of insulation?....what thickness of boards?...etc etc

Neither me or my DH have a clue what to checkout about the companies before we ask for quotes so any help would be appreciated so we don't get ripped-off.

Thank you in anticipation of your replies.

XXX

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    The recommended thickness is 270mm insulation. To achieve this you would need to install posts on the joists before laying the boards and that will be expensive.

You might want to compromise and lay boards directly onto the joists in a storage area with thicker insulation elsewhere.

We were quoted £2,000 to do our loft :eek:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • oz0707
    oz0707 Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Local one man band carpenter or handyman is your best bet
  • oz0707
    oz0707 Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Think loft Flooring is all 18mm chipboard. Get stilts and 270mm insulation as said above
  • Pdbaggett
    Pdbaggett Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I know you said you have no diy ability but seriously this is one of the easiest things you can do in a house. Is there already insulation down? Just get some loft stilts avalible from bandq and 18mm chipboard or MDF again loft hoards are avalible from bandq they slot toghrther and get screwed into the plastic loft stilt. I did mine it cost me less than £100 and took a day.

Failing that just get a local handy man in don't bother with a builder you will get charged far to much for something that is very easy to do.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    You don't need a "company" to do this. It is probably the easiest of DIY jobs and could be done by almost anyone. However, if you really are unable to contemplate DIY then all you need is a local handyman who would probably think it was money for old rope. Or, indeed, any competent DIYer.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 1:25PM
    This was about 6 years ago, mind you, but we paid a local company to replace the standard hatch with a double sized hatch, fit a set of pull-down wooden stairs and board about 2/3rds of the (large) loft.

Done in a day, and cost £800.

Yes, we could have managed the flooring ourselves - but not the new hatch and stairs.

Add:

Just googled the company we used but can't find them. There are similar companies out there though - you'd just need to do your homework.
  • I've done mine this weekend.

I'm not the world's most competent DIYer (I borrowed my dad's electric screwdriver) but boarding 1/3 of the loft took half a day, on my own. Would have been quicker if I had a helper.

Try this link
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/how-to-guides/loft-storage
    and this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7yJTO7Th8

It's cost me less than £100 to do and I still have stuff to do another 1/3 of the loft (I bought the last boxes of Loft Legs in Wickes, so am waiting for the remainder to come into store).

Top tip = use a headtorch as well as a loft light.

Seriously, when I thought about how much I'd pay someone else to do something that easy, even though it's a bit unpleasant, I just got on with it. Doesn't matter if the result isn't perfect, you're not going to be looking at it every day.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Running for less than a year with a company valued at £100.

I hope you have permission to post.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    A helpful post for DIY dunces such as myself - but unfortunately I think your signature may not comply with forum rules, as it would be classed as promoting a business.

Plenty of us have skills and advise to share on this forum that are useful to others, which we share in good faith (you can see by my posting history that I am a committed contributor!). But by being non-attributable, its akin to advice from a stranger in a pub.

So why have you quoted it? The post has been removed.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    So why have you quoted it? The post has been removed.
    The problem was with the signature, rather than the content being blatant self-advertising. The advice - starting from ground-zero - I found useful.

How I wish I was handy :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure