Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area

Comments

• Hertsteve wrote: »
    All fine until I attempted my first purchase online. I received an email saying that the transaction had been declined by my credit card company (Pockit). I contacted Pockit using the contact form on their website asking why the payment had been declined - and after seven days they replied via email. They said that the web site I placed my order on uses 3D Secure authentication - and Pockit are not yet enrolled into this scheme. As the 3D Secure box pops up briefly on several sites I order from, the Pockit card would be of little use to me

There's something funny going on, then, because my ISP uses 3D Secure and I've never had a problem making payments to them with my Pockit card. It's a Mastercard card and they have Mastercard in the card type dropdown and that seems to be good enough.

I was surprised to see all the negative comments about Pockit in this thread because I've had no hint of such difficulties.

The only problem I've ever had with the card is that the local paypoint shop's till throws a wobbly when they try to put it through and says the expiry date is invalid. This is a bug they have known about for two years and haven't fixed yet. The workaround, as posted on the Pockit website, is to type the card number and expiry date in by hand. I've been in with it enough times now though that most of them have remembered how to do it :)

The only dissatisfaction I have is not Pockit's fault but the bloody government's. Some new regulation that came out a few months ago means I now can't put more than £200 a month through it. In practice, though, I never want to, so it's not a serious limitation.

The only complaint I have is that they insist on sending emails only as text/html without a text/plain part, and picking out the few words of actual content from the great soup of tags is difficult and annoying.

Apart from that it's fine.

Never had anything go missing (paypoint only)

Never had anything fail (at least, that couldn't be got to work by trying it again)

Never had to contact customer service

And the point which greatly disposes me in their favour is that they seem to be the only prepaid card outfit around who are not liars. They said you could get a card without providing any ID and it was actually true. Every other outfit I'd tried - and there were quite a few - conned me into signing up by claiming to not require ID, sent a confirmation email to say they'd received my signup fee and would send the card soon, and then a few days later sent another email saying that actually they'd lied about not requiring ID and they did require it after all. And of course kept the fee. I was astonished and delighted when Pockit turned out to be actually telling the truth and my card arrived and started working with no trouble at all.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Superbird wrote: »
    And the point which greatly disposes me in their favour is that they seem to be the only prepaid card outfit around who are not liars. They said you could get a card without providing any ID and it was actually true.

You're correct, but if they can't identify you there will be restrictions on your account; you'll only be a "simple limit" account holder, instead of a "full limit" account holder. That's why you can only deposit £200 per month. If you were a full limit account holder you could deposit £5,000 per month.

https://www.pockit.com/fees/
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    andyt8 wrote: »
    I am planning to withdraw my funds and go elsewhere. Any suggestions for a pre paid debit card with low fees that would suit my usage as above.
    Try Loot, no fees (including overseas) except £1 per cash withdrawal after the first two per month, gives you a sort code, account number, and can send and receive to/from any other UK account:

https://loot.io/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EarthBoy wrote: »
    You're correct, but if they can't identify you there will be restrictions on your account; you'll only be a "simple limit" account holder, instead of a "full limit" account holder. That's why you can only deposit £200 per month. If you were a full limit account holder you could deposit £5,000 per month.

Yes, I know, but my point was that although lots of outfits claim to work like that, only in the case of Pockit is the claim actually true. Hence I was actually able to get a Pockit card in the first place.

Everywhere else I tried that made such a claim (if they didn't, I wouldn't have bothered applying) waited until they had got my signup fee and only then emailed me to say that actually they'd lied and without ID I got nothing - not the "simple limit", but just no account at all.
  • I had found unauthorised transactions on my secondary card of my Pockit.com account and sent and email to the company (help@pockit.com) and as yet have had no reply (this was a week ago).

I had tried to call, but you can't speak to anyone on a Sunday, even to block your card (very poor service).

I have had transactions emptying the account from several countries and what is worse is that the secondary card in question had never been used.

There was only £14 on the card at the time, but I have little faith in the company's ability to keep the customer informed.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andyt8 wrote: »
    I am planning to withdraw my funds and go elsewhere. Any suggestions for a pre paid debit card with low fees that would suit my usage as above.

For a prepaid Debit card your options are limited. Probably Soldo which costs £2.00p per month after the introductory period. Most prepaid cards are prepaid Credit cards and you're spoilt for choice there. No real difference between a prepaid debit card and a prepaid credit card except when you want to use a prepaid credit card where credit cards are not accepted, for example at my local Lidl.
  • I have had a Pockit account for some months, and I have encountered around two incidents a month. The most common is that the main balance figure on the website and in the App is wrong. This normally corrects overnight, but can be disconcerting. On the web site, but not in the App, if I go into the 'your statement' option and click on a transaction, it shows the account balance before and after the transaction ('previous balance', 'transaction amount' and 'new balance'). When the main balance figure is wrong, the 'new balance' of the last transaction normally shows the correct figure.

I say 'normally', however, there have been several occasions where the previous and new balance figures are total fiction, although the difference between these previous and new balances is correct for the amount of the transaction. There was a period of a several days a few months ago when a number of consecutive transactions all had the same 'new balance' figure. The fictitious 'previous balance' figures were all appropriate for the amount of each transaction so that the 'new balance' figure was always the same.

I have also had one transaction that does not show up in the statement, although the previous 'new balance' and the next 'previous balance' figures exactly match what should be on the missing transaction.

Pockit keep advertising new features for their card. I think they should be sorting out their system problems first, before they start adding new features.

One other comment - I notice that MSE says there is a 99p charge every 3 months. So far I have not seen this charge.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Pockit is the worst company in the history of prepaid card. How the hell they are still in business is madness, Not sure what they won awards on.

I had an account, My mum and brother had one, And they just closed account without reason!
  • Hi ppl just a quick ask are any pre paid cards good for card only petrol like ASDA

• Carnmore
    Carnmore Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Has anyone had problems with the exchange rate from Revolut?

I checked the currency conversion amount immediately before buying an iPhone from Apple UK on Sunday.

£799 GBP was €898.82 EUR and I made the purchase immediately after checking but the amount charged was €908.19.

I've been on to Revolut but they're claiming there's a weekend rate levy due to the markets being closed but I don't accept this - the in-app calculated amount should apply.

I just have a euro balance and let the prevailing exchange rate apply, which has never been a problem before now. I always check the conversion rate before making any purchase and the same rate is applied.

I also checked the reverse - allowing the default € currency on top and £ below and entered the sterling value.

Why didn't the realtime rate apply? And how can the rate be checked in advance if it's ultimately wrong?

I'm getting nowhere with online support so thinking of making a formal complaint.

Has anyone had similar issues?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure