Company Car Charge

Hi, I left my employer back in June 2018 and went on gardening leave and handed my company car back in September 2019. It was handed back fine they checked it there were no scratches etc but they did not have any documentation to sign etc. I have just had an invoice through the post for £350+ for refurbishment costs.

The company did not have anything in the contracts or a company car policy.

Can they send this invoice?

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Can they send this invoice?

Of course they can, just like I could send you one for reading your post. Doesn't mean you're necessarily obliged to pay it. Speak to them and get them to tell you exactly what it's for and on what basis they think they're entitled to it before deciding whether to pay or not

Where should I send my invoice?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes of course.

Whether you decide to pay it is up to you.

Whether they provide a reference for your future jobs is up to them.
  • I know they can send the invoice maybe I should have put can they legally pursue it? The invoive just states refurbishment which could be anything. I know why they are doing it as they think I took a former employee with me so are chasing me for anything. The company had no company car policy, there was nothing in my contract and I they took no photos of the car when it was returned or really inspected it. Just accepted it. I am obviously not going to pay it but they won't accept my calls as they are trying to chase me for poaching a staff member as well.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Yes of course.

Whether you decide to pay it is up to you.

Whether they provide a reference for your future jobs is up to them.

I don't need any references so that is OK
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know they can send the invoice maybe I should have put can they legally pursue it? I know it's pedantic (or appears that way) but yes, again. Anyone can legally pursue any claim. The real question is would they be successful; I personally think they would - but that's mainly because you wont have all the documents there to check on terms and conditions. The invoive just states refurbishment which could be anything. I know why they are doing it as they think I took a former employee with me so are chasing me for anything. The company had no company car policy, there was nothing in my contract and I they took no photos of the car when it was returned or really inspected it. - They will have had a policy; they must have. You just didn't have a copy of it. Just accepted it. I am obviously not going to pay it but they won't accept my calls as they are trying to chase me for poaching a staff member as well.

Irrelevant. for what it's also worth I don't think they will pursue it, as the amount is too small
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't need any references so that is OK

And you're definite of that for now and the future? I had a similar issue, settled the queried amount (which was just as negligible as yours) and have breathed easy safe in the knowledge that I can rely on them as a reference. Obviously though, ask what it's for...
    Know what you don't
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Irrelevant. for what it's also worth I don't think they will pursue it, as the amount is too small
    No they didn't have any policy for it or any T&Cs I know that for a fact as I was the only one with a company car. They changed the way that it worked half way through and gave a car allowance and then back as a company car. very dodgy.

I have all the documents nothing is mentioned as well as the original hire agreement as I was the one who ordered it.

They looked over the car and accepted me handing back and that was it.

True about the references but 1) the company won't be in existence for much longer and 2) I have set up my own business and fingers crossed that is it (how many have said that though).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure