Paperless payslips

Newbie here:)
Just a little question about paperless payslips.
My employer sent out a letter today saying that they will be switching to paperless payslips from the beginning of February, and we need to provide them with a valid email address. Now this is all well & good, but several of the shopfloor guys, don't have Internet access (one doesn't even own a phone), so the question was raised how do they get their payslips, (their useless manager said its not his problem, & suggested that they club together & buy a computer & printer to share :mad:)
No one from HR or payroll is available to comment, apparently they have been in meetings all day!
Was just after a bit of advice for the guys, as I thought it was the company's responsibility to ensure that the employee gets an accurate & on time pay slip, either electronically, post, or in hand.
Sorry for such a long post :)

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd forget about the manager and wait to get a more sensible answer from HR. I think that for someone with no computer then as using a library (for example) isn't the most secure way of getting hold of the payslip so there would be a case for some individuals requesting a paper copy.
    They could simply tell them that they don't have an email address.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You don’t really have a choice. An employer can choose to give you your payslips in either electronic or non-electronic form.

They did the same thing in my workplace and there was 1 person who didn’t use computers or have the know-how. However we were allowed to print them using the company printer if needed.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Does the company not have a company email system for all employees and computers that they can use to access email? In the place I worked before I retired all admin tasks were carried out online so everyone had a company computer.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I can't imagine HR, Sales, IT and the other business functions communicate using personal email addresses so surely the company must have an internal email system even if the "shopfloor" people don't use it.

The solution here is to extend company email and network access to all employees and provide a few computers with a printer for those who don't need a personal machine.
  • From the gov website...

“Employers can choose whether they provide printed or electronic (online) payslips.

Payslips must be provided on or before payday.”

So they are not in the wrong in doing it this way it’s just this one employee that is going to need some assistance accessing or printing.

Surely someone can show your colleague how to set up an email account and then print at work or get someone to do this on their behalf?

If not maybe HR will still have access to payslips anyway to allow for your colleagues payslip to be printed by HR as a helping hand?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    There is definitely an assumption these days that everybody uses computers and/or has a smartphone. That assumption is wrong. My neighbours, who were both in their late 70s, were given a tablet by their son and shown how to Skype/Facetime on that to keep in touch. That was literally all they used the tablet for. They had very basic phones and could text short messages on those. Trying to force people into using systems they don't want, need, or understand is simply wrong in my opinion. The company must have a way to print payslips and that is what those without the means to print for themselves need to insist continues to happen.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    There is definitely an assumption these days that everybody uses computers and/or has a smartphone. That assumption is wrong.

There is also an assumption that email is secure. That is also wrong (just bear in mind the scams where e-mails to from solicitors and buiders are intercepted and payments are directed elsewhere).

Whilst personally I've been happy to receive electronic payslips in the past (viewable and printable over a secure company intranet) I wouldn't be happy to just have them e-mailed to a private unsecure e-mail address.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If they have poor eyesight or some other reason why computers aren't easy to use, then the company should make reasonable adjustments to their procedures to accomodate.

A sensible company would offer to print out payslips for anyone who doesn't use a computer.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    There is also an assumption that email is secure. That is also wrong (just bear in mind the scams where e-mails to from solicitors and buiders are intercepted and payments are directed elsewhere).

Whilst personally I've been happy to receive electronic payslips in the past (viewable and printable over a secure company intranet) I wouldn't be happy to just have them e-mailed to a private unsecure e-mail address.

Then again, putting payslips into people's pigeonholes at work or posting them to their home addresses isn't secure either. I much preferred jobs where they had electronic paysplis at they were much harder to lose.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As you cannot force your employer to provide paper payslips, might the best option to help your colleagues to become computer-literate? As has been observed, there is a general shift to only delivering services via the internet, Universal Credit being a key example.

Good tablet devices can be bought off Amazon for £80. These would be ideal for someone to view their payslips on, or claim and manage Universal Credit if they ever lose their jobs. Perhaps you could offer to run an after-work session to show the others how to setup an email address and access their payslips.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure