Dog poo

Wasn't sure where to put this, this place seemed most appropriate.

On the small village I live in, we have a dog poo issue.

On the 10 minute each way walk to school and back, I counted no less than 9 instances where a dog has soiled and the owner has not cleaned it up, including one instance right outside the school itself.

These instances are not on the grass verges, but actually on the path itself, so in my eyes there is no reason the owner does not know their dog has soiled.

Even a few months ago I cleaned up where an owner had let their dog soil in the middle of the skate park and left it, where loads of kids play each day.

I do take this personally, as my 3 year old fell over on the grass and ended up in a pile of poo, but fortunately he was ok after a bath.

So apart from waiting around to catch people in the act, what can actually be done?

There are plenty of bins around, plenty of signs yet people don't care.

Any advice?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Keep a camera handy, take pictures, name and shame.

I agree it's disgusting
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Keep a camera handy, take pictures, name and shame.

I agree it's disgusting
    I would be naming and shaming if I had actually caught anyone, as yet it's just been found in the mornings or afternoons.

I get the feeling the dog soils, the owner looks around to see if there is anyone around and if not just leaves it.

It's different dogs as well, as the poos are different sizes etc, so it's easy to tell that they come from different dogs.

It's not the sort of place where you would drive to walk your dog, so the fact it is residents of the estate as well makes it worse.
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Does you council care, if yes contact them.

Contact local rag and highlight issues and a few good pics.

Contact the school and advise them re your woes and potential health
    hazards and tell school to ingrain into kids heads that
    not picking up your dog mess demonstrates lack of education
    and kids to relay to family/etc.

Use body cam (covertly) and shame the clowns, selfish parasites via internet cafe
    and title pictures your village name, dog mess/etc and send evidence to council.

Where I lived years ago we were one of the few houses with drives and the number of times I found dog mess by gate post, dropped kerb was not right. I went out once and as the parasite/woman walked away without picking her dog mess up, she became rude, nasty and lied about getting a bag from home and ret, she never did. A few weeks later I accidentally found out where she lived and grassed her up to the council.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    marcarm wrote: »
    I would be naming and shaming if I had actually caught anyone, as yet it's just been found in the mornings or afternoons.

I get the feeling the dog soils, the owner looks around to see if there is anyone around and if not just leaves it.

It's different dogs as well, as the poos are different sizes etc, so it's easy to tell that they come from different dogs.

It's not the sort of place where you would drive to walk your dog, so the fact it is residents of the estate as well makes it worse.
    Exactly. Unfortunately as you say: no witness, no crime.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I report it to the council via their website. They send somebody out to clean it up the same day usually. While I could just pick it up myself, and do if it's just outside my house, I think that making them deal with it will highlight areas where it's particularly bad, so they may do something about it. What, I don't know!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You could try contacting your Parish Council to ask them whether they can take any steps.

You could speak to the school and see whether they would be willing to send a message round to parents.

You could organise try to organise a litter-and-dog-poo pick up

If you can get other people involved then peer pressure may help reduce the problem.

If you see anyone in the act, as it were, you can politely ask them to pick up after their dog.

Are you 100% sure it is dog mess? Foxes and Badgers mess can look fairly similar.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Are you sure that it is all dog poo and not wild animals? or even cats for the smaller ones.

Cats don't always pick soft earth and cover it.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Happens in my village.

The usual culprits are the yong and the old. While not all ofthem there is a reason why they are characterised as being to young to worry aboutt anyone else or too old to bother about anyone else.

Had instances with an old woman who walks her dog off the lead. It just runs into gardens (mine included) and she just standa and the end of the road calling it untill it comes back. You talk to her and she promises to use a lead in future, yet never does. I'm sure given all that she does not clean up after it either. Like I said too old to care about changing her ways and could not care that she lies to your face. it comes in again it's going to be taken to the shelter as a found dog so she has to pay for release (over £100 around here).
  • Sunshinesally
    Sunshinesally Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 December 2018 at 2:51PM
    It says on the gov website that local council must keep public areas clear of dog mess, therefore if the owner doesn't pick it up the council should be responsible. Contact the council for every incident, I've got to know mine pretty well. I threatened to send them a pair of pooey school shoes once when they failed to clean it up after reporting. I also told them next time I would be billing them for a new pair of shoes. They've cleaned it up ever since. Also because you have reported it make it clear that you will be suing them if it harms your child in anyway.
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Sadly, many dog owners are guilty of this. We now live in an area where we have dog wardens and they fine people if they see them or reported to them, even some of the parasites are picking up their dog mess. IMO, people that keep dogs must be vetted as many can't look after themselves never mind the poor, little dog.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure