Contactless payments abroad

I use a Halifax Clarity credit card when we go abroad, as it's one of the recommended MSE ones. I also follow Martin's advice and always opt to pay in Euros rather than GBP. But if I'm something smallish and pay using the contactless option, I'm not offered the choice of Euros or GBP. Does anyone know if I'm defaulting to one or the other? Should I avoid using contactless so that I can make sure I'm paying in Euros?
Thanks for any advice

Comments

• If you don't get the choice, it will charge you in local currency.

If it offers you the choice, you know which to choose :) My recent experience in Spain was that contactless machines sometimes would offer the choice.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My recent experience in Spain was that contactless machines sometimes would offer the choice.
    That's bad news, I've never encountered it anywhere and always felt safe using contactless. It's typical of the Spanish to be the first to implement a way to trip up tourists with the DCC scam even on contactless payments.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Strangely, I noticed there was quite a wide range in terms of the size of the DCC markup. (I didn't look that closely of course, it's just what crossed my eyeballs on my way to press the "pay in EUR" button.)

GBP/EUR was around 1.12, and the DCC rates ranged from about 1.05 (the expected large ripoff) to about 1.09 (not tempting when you have the right card, but actually not far out of line with what a normal bank debit card charges you).
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    That's bad news, I've never encountered it anywhere and always felt safe using contactless. It's typical of the Spanish to be the first to implement a way to trip up tourists with the DCC scam even on contactless payments.

I use cash as much as possible in Spain as the DCC practice is so widespread. I can't remember having a problem in any other country.
  • Don't use contactless abroad. It does, in most cases default to the local currency. With TSB it charges a standard £1 non sterling purchase fee. We are increasingly using contactless for drink payments at bars and clubs in the UK, I don't doubt this convenient habit will transfer when on holiday but looking at the way you could quickly rack up a lot of charges I will be doing it the old fashioned way of using 'cash'.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't use contactless abroad. It does, in most cases default to the local currency. With TSB it charges a standard £1 non sterling purchase fee. We are increasingly using contactless for drink payments at bars and clubs in the UK, I don't doubt this convenient habit will transfer when on holiday but looking at the way you could quickly rack up a lot of charges I will be doing it the old fashioned way of using 'cash'.
    Actually, that is TSB charging you £1 for every foreign transaction, plus 2.99% loading on the exchange rate, whether you pay by contactless or not. There are plenty of options for cards without these fees, also avoiding the expense and hassle of exchanging cash.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

Starling Bank is currently the most useful option.

I always use contactless when traveling, as well as the convenience it avoid the possibility of merchants trying to impose their own lousy exchange rates by DCC (except apparently in Spain if you're not careful!).
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't use contactless abroad. It does, in most cases default to the local currency. With TSB it charges a standard £1 non sterling purchase fee. We are increasingly using contactless for drink payments at bars and clubs in the UK, I don't doubt this convenient habit will transfer when on holiday but looking at the way you could quickly rack up a lot of charges I will be doing it the old fashioned way of using 'cash'.

I've been using a Clarity contactless abroad for years. I've never had any issues with it. Over a shorter period, the same goes for Monzo and Starling.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »

It isn't always a scam though.

Recently in Amsterdam I was offered the choice, chose EUR, when I checked the transaction on my Monzo app the conversion was exactly the same as the GBP option.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,973
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And of course, there are the many travellers' tales on Tripadvisor's Mallorca Forums about contactless scams in bars in areas like Magaluf which routinely inflate bar bills; sometimes by a factor of ten, by sticking a zero on the end!

But I'm so paranoid I only use cards in trusted places like hotels or in Restaurants at which I'm a regular! For smaller or one-off transactions I use cash
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure