Free Fruit and Veg for all

The government should give every citizen,young and old,a fresh fruit/veg voucher

The government should give every citizen, young and old, a fresh fruit/veg voucher EACH WEEK to the sum of £25 and this amount should be raised by taxing unhealthy food.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/222260
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Or alternatively people could just use their wages/benefits to buy decent food for themselves in the first place. I eat lots of fresh fruit and veg and don't spend anywhere near that amount a week. Although frozen veg is just as nutritious.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    stebiz wrote: »
    The government should give every citizen,young and old,a fresh fruit/veg voucher

The government should give every citizen, young and old, a fresh fruit/veg voucher EACH WEEK to the sum of £25 and this amount should be raised by taxing unhealthy food.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/222260

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Love your idea. Just saying...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    £25/week? That's a LOT of food isn't it.

Doughnuts cost a lot less. We could save the Govt money by giving people a £5 voucher for doughnuts instead.

:)
  • elsien wrote: »
    Or alternatively people could just use their wages/benefits to buy decent food for themselves in the first place. I eat lots of fresh fruit and veg and don't spend anywhere near that amount a week. Although frozen veg is just as nutritious.

Agreed!
    My partner and I spend about £45 per week TOTAL on groceries (inc toiletries and household cleaning) We do not ususally buy pre-perpared/precooked/ready meals (apart from the odd pizza for a treat). So suggesting we need £50 between us just on fruit and veg is a bit excessive.

Also people should be free to spend their money on what they want to!
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • £25/week? That's a LOT of food isn't it.

Doughnuts cost a lot less. We could save the Govt money by giving people a £5 voucher for doughnuts instead.

The most expensive supermarket fruit and veg costs about 50p a serving iirc. Nevermind 5 a day, you'd get 7 a day of the most expensive! Or, we could just buy some of the cheaper stuff too...
  • £25/week? That's a LOT of food isn't it.

I'd rather have the doughnuts, tbh. Fruit and veg taste boring to me :)
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    That will never happen, too much influence by the corporate food factories selling rubbish.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Never going to happen - too many of the vouchers would be sold for less than the face value and the money used to buy pizza and fags.

We live on the edge of farming country, and nearby town foodbanks received generous donations of fresh fruit and veg. Most of it went to compost, because the foodbank 'clients' only wanted 'proper food' that they 'didn't have to mess about with/could just put into the microwave'.
  • I was in the quid shop Friday night to get some sweets for the flicks, a quid I spent. Couple in front were in with their DHSS cheque and bout £20 of food for the weekend. Ten not poodles, 4 multipacks of crisps, multi packs of sweets. No veg no food! I bet their voucher would had gone for a packet of fags down the dog and duck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure