manual assessment at Jag/Land Rover

Options
Hi, my 18 year old Son has the manual assessment at Jaguar Land Rover and I was wondering if anyone has done it and what he can expect, thanks in advance

Comments

• eddardstark_2
    Options
    There are two parts to the assessment, you can't really prepare for them, but I'll give you gist of what happens.

One of the assessments will require you to place a cushion and magnets around the shell of the car, but you've have to do it in a certain order in a certain way and you will have to remove and place them several times. The only thing I can say is keep calm, pay attention to what the instructor says. He goes through what you have to do and someone shows you as well. Just pay attention and don't let anyone distract you.

The second part is putting together a clutch pedal. Again the instructor goes through everything, all you have to do is follow what he does. Pay attention and if you don't understand ask. They give you gloves as well, they tell you to make sure they are snug fitting and they aren't lying. Wear the tightest possible as the clutch part is fiddly and I struggled a little because my glove weren't tight enough.

In hindsight it is quite easy and the only thing that puts you back is nerves. Everyone is friendly enough and the other candidates were fine as well. They don't spring anything on you either, the above is all that happened. No questions etc.

Hope this helped.
  • doodoot
    doodoot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but wanted to say good luck to him.

It will be a great opportunity for him! :j
    Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.
  • hermadge
    hermadge Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to you both. He has had it and said it went well,. Any idea how long before you can expect to hear back ? Cheers.
  • garfster
    garfster Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2012 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Best of luck.

I applied through Manpower and did my manual assesment
    over eight weeks ago now!
    The following day I received an email saying they'd
    call or email within 14 days.

Haven't heard a thing and other people have got rejection e-mails.
    Perhaps they're busy or I was unsuitable.
    I wish they'd let me know either way so I can move on
    but its not looking good at the moment.
  • GARLAYNE
    GARLAYNE Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I attended manual assessments at JLR early April, and received an interview thanking me for participating and they would be in touch within 28 days. I know its only 2 weeks, but the waiting game is difficult. Has anyone who has done the interviews heard anything yet?
    Good luck to those who have done the assessments!
  • wantsajob
    wantsajob Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    If only more employers did assessments like this, rather than a pointless interview which even if it is a competency based interview is often far removed from tasks involved with the actual work.
    Wanted a job, now have one. :beer:
  • citykid5
    citykid5 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    a bit of a heads up on the interview stage,if hopefully your son gets that far.they are putting a lot of interest on looking for people who can/have experience of working as part of a team.my son flew through his assesments and has been working as a mechanic for the last 2 years,but failed at the interview stage.he asked why he had been rejected,despite haveing done so well.and was told that it was because he was not seen as haveing previous experience of working as part of a team,depite him working daily with 4 other mechanics.the agent then went on to say that if he'd put down a hobby such as football or another team sport.he would most likely of got the job.lesson learnt.another thing i've also found out is that once employed,they then thin the new people down by about 25% dureing thier trail period.wish your son all the best.good luck
  • overmars
    Options
    What other questions where asked at the interview? I have mine on tuesday and would'nt mind a little heads up.
  • springchicken
    Options
    Hi all
    Has anyone heard from Manpower after the manual assessment stage? Hubby done his manual over 3 weeks ago and has not heard nothing ! Haven't got high hopes after finding out yesterday more the 35000 applied for 1000 jobs! Still, would be nice to know the outcome.
    TIA Springchicken
    Moneysaving? - I cant stop spending because of this site!
  • eddardstark_2
    Options
    Hi all
    Has anyone heard from Manpower after the manual assessment stage? Hubby done his manual over 3 weeks ago and has not heard nothing ! Haven't got high hopes after finding out yesterday more the 35000 applied for 1000 jobs! Still, would be nice to know the outcome.
    TIA Springchicken

It took just over two weeks for them to get back to me, although I missed the phone call so it took another two weeks for me to book an interview.

You can always phone up and ask. I had a friend that was waiting for a call back for the result of his interview, he had waited around a month with no contact, he phoned them up and they told him straight away that he didn't get the job, so seems like it takes a while for them to get around to phoning people up, or they don't bother at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure