Caleta de Fuste, Fuertaventura

Options
Has anyone on here ever stayed in Caleta de Fuste? Looking at booking our first ever family holiday abroad in the sun and came up with a possible hotel here. I'm really picky and this is the first resort that looked like it would suit us. However on talking to a friend she said she would never stay there as the few times they drove through the resort it was always cloudy.
Don't want our only holiday this year being ruined by cloud and not getting our monies worth, we're looking at going from the 30th March - 6th April.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2019 at 5:11PM
    Options
    I've stayed there several times. Always in late June/early July.

It wasn't cloudy then.

One thing I will say about Fuerteventura is that it is invariably windy. Probably not a problem if you stay in the resort but it can make the beaches a bit of an endurance test at times.
  • tracy_36
    tracy_36 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I've just popped in here to read the Las Vegas thread and saw your post.
    We own a villa in Caleta De Fuste - it's the ideal family holiday location. The beaches are so safe.
    Only 10 minutes from the airport.
    Average temperature of 22 in March
    They average about 10 days of rain a year
    As the previous poster said, its known as the Windy Island, which can be a blessing in the hotter months.
    Like I say - ideal for families
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    We have stayed in Caleta a few times but usually stay in apartments or villa on the outskirts of the resort. Weather has been great when we have visited in the Summer months. You may experience mixed weather in March or April but probably better than mainland Spain.

Caleta is ideal for families, not too busy and not normally full of rowdy drunks.
  • thecoffeehouse204
    Options
    Thanks all, my friend is trying to convince me to join them in Turkey or that Benidorm would be a good option. Would have preferred Majorca as that's the only place I've visited on a 'beach' holiday but don't think the weather will be good enough then and it's the only week off my husband has been allocated in school holidays. :(
    Have read about Fuertaventura being windy, think I saw that's what the name means. Just want somewhere good for families with a nice walk along the beach, warm but not roasting and not full of party people. Husband isn't a fan of sun holidays, only places we've visited abroad together are Florida, New York and Disneyland Paris so if we get it wrong there'll be no convincing him again. Looks like Caleta might be a good choice.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been to Fuertuventura but the Corralejo end in Feb/March for about the past 6 years and have had quite a bit of rain. It really has varied though year on year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With reference to the wind,we went to Lanzarote a few years ago and it was very windy,are all the Canary islands windy and if so why are they so popular?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The main beach (by the small marina) in Caleta de Fuste is man-made, and resembles cat litter. Not very inviting! However, venture out a bit (the last two Novembers we've paid under £50/week for car hire with Autoreisen) and there are some wonderful beaches to be found.

Re the wind, last November there was virtually no wind at all in the last week of the month. The year before wasn't too bad either.
  • ibizafan_2
    Options
    The main tourist areas in Tenerife aren’t as windy. We always go to Los Cristianos in November, and don’t usually notice much of a breeze. Whatever there is seems to completely disappear by the evening.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ibizafan wrote: »
    The main tourist areas in Tenerife aren’t as windy. We always go to Los Cristianos in November, and don’t usually notice much of a breeze. Whatever there is seems to completely disappear by the evening.

Nice to know,when we were in Costa Tequise in Lanzarote every time you stepped off the sunlounger the towels blew away,we now have some of those oversize clothes pegs that keep your towel in place:rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure