Time of sick

12346»

Comments

• Lol I do wish people would say the whole story instead of snippets.

Having a long term illness that prevents a person from 1) doing their job fully 2) absences is reason to sack someone.

Someone having a cold and taking a few days of to recover isn’t.

The only reason why “a cold” would be reason to sack someone would be due to repeatability and unexplained absences. Which is obviously not the case with me.

You are focusing on what you think is likely to happen. People are telling you that 2 periods of absence in a short time would trigger some kind of review. Now, an employer can use their discretion and chalk it up to bad luck or the time of year, but they are by no means obliged to.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Can anyone give me reassuranc or tips?

I think it's fairly safe to say that the answer to that seems to be a resounding "No".
  • @Ozzuk I don’t know why you think I’m missing the point when everything you’ve said has already been mentioned. People I don’t think like my Blaise attitude. I need this time of, and I will in the future if I need time of.
  • Emma_N
    Emma_N Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Some of the replies on this thread have left me feeling a little concerned.

I was unwell Tuesday to Thursday last week but managed to carry on working. On Friday I went in and was constantly coughing (irritating my colleagues, one said I shouldn't be in the office) and felt terrible so I asked if I could go home. My manager agreed and sent me home.

I was ill over the weekend and don't think I'll be back in the office until Thursday. I've kept in contact with my line manager throughout and have been told not to rush back to work.

Quite a few people in my team have been off sick, I'm not the only person. I'm now worrying about what will happen when I return to work!
    Attempting to make £2021 in 2021
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Emma_N wrote: »
    Quite a few people in my team have been off sick, I'm not the only person. I'm now worrying about what will happen when I return to work!

It will depend on your employer's attitude to sick leave, how long you have worked there and how valued you are by your employer.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Emma_N
    Emma_N Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We are actively encouraged to take time off when we are sick.
    Attempting to make £2021 in 2021
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January 2019 at 10:10AM
    @Ozzuk I don’t know why you think I’m missing the point when everything you’ve said has already been mentioned. People I don’t think like my Blaise attitude. I need this time of, and I will in the future if I need time of.

Ok, fair enough. So if you feel protected in your role and you'll continue to take sick leave as you see fit, what exactly do you want to know/want help with??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure