Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 December 2018 at 5:23PM
    Options
    john-306 wrote: »
    . . . What I've yet to read is what happens if you have money owing to you and you've already (like yourself, and me to be soon) left, but haven't been refunded if/when they go bust.
    I think you might be in danger of falling between the cracks in the system and just become a low-priority creditor of the failed company. You are likely to receive only pennies in the pound if anything at all.

If you are in the process of switching when the administrators take over then the new supplier of last resort may take on the liability and pay out but if the switch has completed by that time then you may not be so lucky.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Jonny247
    Jonny247 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I have received an Email from OFTM stating that they are objecting to my switching to another supplier. They are claiming that I have an "aged" debt with them, this is impossible as I have always paid my DD on time and the full amount that they have requested.
    This is either due to an error on their part or a lame attempt to dissuade me from switching suppliers.
    This is ridiculous and not the first impression I wished to make to my new supplier, I Emailed Peoples Energy to explain the situation.
    I do not appreciate being made to look like someone who does not pay my debts.
    Another example of the chaotic state that OFTM are in,
  • jono1975
    jono1975 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OFTM stopped supplying me yesterday, my bill date is today (2nd). Should they have taken the full amount for January like they have? I have a web chat saying they won't and it will be a final bill. I can't say I'm surprised

This means I've paid them for energy they won't be supplying me and no doubt they'll keep it for the full eight weeks.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jono1975 wrote: »
    OFTM stopped supplying me yesterday, my bill date is today (2nd). Should they have taken the full amount for January like they have? I have a web chat saying they won't and it will be a final bill. I can't say I'm surprised

This means I've paid them for energy they won't be supplying me and no doubt they'll keep it for the full eight weeks.

Even if they are too busy(cough) to work out the readings, they shouldn't be taking the membership fee though, should they?

My DD was cancelled a fortnight ago, as I could guess what would happen. A company in dire straights will take money from anywhere it can to keep going, as the liability for it is 'limited' in the event of collapse.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Jonny247 wrote: »
    I have received an Email from OFTM stating that they are objecting to my switching to another supplier. They are claiming that I have an "aged" debt with them, this is impossible as I have always paid my DD on time and the full amount that they have requested. . .,
    It looks as though they have wised-up to customers who cancel their DDs and are inventing excuses, knowing that by the time they would have to pay compensation they will have gone bust and not have to worry about paying anything.
  • martinlewisjunior
    Options
    Looks they're reversing the direct debit winter increase...

https://www.choose.co.uk/news/2019/outfox-the-market-stops-variable-direct-debits/

ximg17768.png.pagespeed.ic.XzkOycR2mj.webp
  • rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just looked onto my account hoping to find a final bill and the latest bill there is up to a few days after I left them, saying I owe them a small amount rather than the other way around! Think I will just leave it and hope they sort it out eventually.
  • drsquirrel
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    I did what I would expect a lot of people did and switched to OFTM and let CEC keep track of whether it would be cheaper to switch elsewhere.

However as OFTM have been wholesale switching everyone onto new versions of their tariff rather than varying the rate of the one you were on, the CEC has been comparing against a tariff I was no longer on.

Maybe it's my own fault, but I expected CEC to do the work for me. OFTM only have a couple of tariffs, there is no reason why it couldn't be done.

I complained to the CEC and they didn't seem to care. Watch out, it seems it's not the fire and forget solution I was led to believe it was.

The irony, is they seem to be correct - other companies are going for the 2 level direct debit. My new provider (pending) does this.

They should have just done it retroactively, keep it simple.

Not that I want to defend them - I've paid my balance off, waited for it to go through, at £0, started the switch, sudden £110 charge... my higher "winter" cost was supposed to be £69........

I'd much prefer to just pay what I owe, a true variable direct debit, but not many companies will do that any more.
  • Consumerist
    edited 7 January 2019 at 1:40PM
    Options
    drsquirrel wrote: »
    . . . other companies are going for the 2 level direct debit. My new provider (pending) does this.
    They should have just done it retroactively, keep it simple. . .
    I think we customers must accept that the smaller suppliers are more vulnerable to energy wholesale price changes than the bigger suppliers. The price we must pay for cheaper energy is to pay higher DDs during periods of higher demand or we will end up with the big five/six as the only options available again.

The problem with Outfox is that they introduced the measure mid-way through contracts with little warning. If they had applied the change to only new customers then those customers would have been able to choose to accept it or go elsewhere. It seems to me that the move by Outfox was born of desperation rather than hard economics.
  • sharon.maginn
    Options
    Most awful company I have ever dealt with. They have not actioned my closing/opening readings, hence I am being charged by both them and my current suppliers. They are difficult to contact and it's taking forever, 2 months and still not sorted despite many emails, calls and online chats. AVOID.:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback