Deleted thread

1234568»

Comments

• MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ames wrote: »
    If people don't spend much time on these boards they're perhaps not aware of how many posts do go too far - because they're reported and removed.

If you never see the disgusting posts I suppose that could skew your thinking about perceived over reporting.

I rarely spend much time on MSE these days because I became sick and tired of the large number of deleted threads where there was no obvious reason for the deletion of the thread. Nothing disgusting. I presume that it is simply down to some rather irksome people who choose to report a thread to get it deleted when the balance of opinion isn't going their way.

Of course they may find it "disgusting" when people simply disagree with them, but in that case they probably shouldn't be going anywhere near a forum with the word "discussion" in its title. There are far better places for pink and fluffy opinions.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    I've only once reported a post. It was on the employment board and the poster I reported was using dreadful language in a personal attack on a regular contributor that was totally unwarranted.

There are lots of people I disagree with, but I've never hit the report button because someone says something I disagree with.
  • Hounded_out
    Hounded_out Posts: 79 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2018 at 12:07PM
    LABMAN wrote: »
    OP has history....they like to start threads as some sort of experiment.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5659177&page=2

Post #29 there shows them for what they are.

Thank you for your post Labman.

It would appear my friend that you did not read or adequately interpret said post and the context of the related thread. It was no 'experiment'.

I was merely explaining how it came about that I had to submit a thread raising some queries about a semi hypothetical and semi factual scenario. I had to do so because the true facts could have revealed the identity of the friend I was raising a query on behalf of. To avoid being unfairly picked on, I also latterly apologised if I had inadvertently caused any confusion etc.

In the (non) 'experimental' post you referenced I was amongst other things making a point that I genuinely felt that the likes of ACAS and EASS may well be better trained sources of guidance in respect of employment issues that an anonymous forum, and specifically the MSE sub-forum that deals with employment issues. Folk are entitled to disagree with my point of view; that is one of the purposes of the forum; isn't it?

Conversely, it should be apparent that I genuinely believe that the MSE sub-forum on work and Benefits and Tax Credits is excellent and if you had taken the trouble to read my input and comments therein then you should realise that I for the main part appear to make positive and open contributions, despite on occasions being (wrongly) accused by some cliquey members of exhibiting troll like tendencies.

Anyhow, if you found the single post which you so painstakingly sought and uploaded to be somewhat difficult to conceptualise along with its related context, then that with respect may be your problem; not my own.

I presume you may now wish to assert that the Forum Team may have been in some way 'experimenting' by deleting (apparently mistakenly) a thread I placed yesterday that was 100% bona fide.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The post is not meant to be side feedback.

It’s a discussion about why people feel the need to report posts, or not report posts.
  • I have never reported one, I see ignoring posters much more effective and it should be made easier.
    Maybe there should be a dislike button like there is one to thank, so maybe posters can receive feedback.
    EU expat working in London
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    stephen77 wrote: »
    I do not go on marriage or benefits part.
    I guess they can be quite heated.

Very wise. I rarely need to visit the benefits board, thankfully, but the marriages board can get very nasty. I'm currently being trolled by a group on there who seem to want rid of me/my account.
  • Ames wrote: »
    I report threads quite often, purely because of the boards I visit the most.

When the regular benefit troll returns and is giving terrible advice just to get a reaction of course I'm going to report him, the alternative is people potentially losing out on benefits they're entitled to if they take his 'advice'.

I do report judgemental posts on the benefit board because they're against forum policy (there's a big sign at the top that it's for advice and not judgement) and people posting there are often very vulnerable and a nasty post could tip them over the edge.

I report people giving medical advice as it's against the forum rules. I did this last week when someone gave a lot of medical advice, and it was only the previous day that it had been in the news about how dangerous it is to do what was being suggested (obviously I'm not going to give details!)

I've reported posters who have obviously been baiting people with mental health difficulties who are asking for advice on the benefits or disabilities board.

I don't report people who are personally nasty to me.

I don't report people for having a different point of view to me.

It's very rare that I report someone on DT or the Arms. The last time was when someone was quoting posts from elsewhere on the board, the poster being quoted was clearly in a fragile state and having parts of their posts selectively quoted to put them in a bad light when they were completely oblivious to it seemed really wrong to me. That was in January.

I hit the spam button when it's obvious spam. Who wants the boards clogged with 'fake ID' threads?

Trigger warning:
    Perhaps I'm over sensitive - I've tried to kill myself before because of posts on a forum, I've self harmed because of posts on this forum. I'd rather a few posts got deleted because of erring on the side of caution than someone go through what I did.

(spoiler obviously not the right word but it's the easiest way to hide part of a post).

IF AS YOU SAY above there is a member giving terrible advice that could for example harm people then is that member still active, or have they been banned?

I ask because it seems that on the one hand many, many threads are deleted by the Forum Team for no good reason, or even any reason. Yet on the other hand members who are believed to offer harmful advice are, or may be, allowed to ply their vile on the forum.

That may be the way it is, but it does not seem to be right, and it comes across as being thoroughly unprofessional.
  • Hi Hounded Out

We have 44 million posts and are a very small team for the size of Forum so unfortunately we can't let all forum users know when we remove a post or thread. This is especially the case for posts made on Discussion Time or in the Arms which are not core-MoneySaving areas.

For speed I've copied this section from our Forum Rules which should explain:
    If you want to discuss a subject that's not MoneySaving then there's an area of the Forum set up for it. Read more about the MoneySavers' Arms.

However, non-MoneySaving discussions which are legitimately complained about, such as sensitive racial issues, will be scanned and if considered a threat to the site, will be removed. We can't answer questions asking us why; it's done to protect the site and we don't have the time and resources to justify it.

Certain subjects have caused problems in the past and will be removed where reported.

We don't have the capacity to answer more questions about this unfortunately so I'm going to close this thread.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories