Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 February 2018 at 10:07PM
    219169 wrote: »
    Sorry, I have never used forums before. But how to calculate Kwh for gas and electricity. As I have to submit only unit used. Thanks for replying.

Are you talking about meter readings or calculating your annual consumption in kWhs/year?

If it is meter readings, then you submit the readings on your meter. Electricity is in kWhs and gas is in cubic feet or cubic metres depending on your meter type. Do not attempt to convert the gas meter reading into kWhs yourself: the supplier will do the conversion for you.

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-support/read-meter
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm a little confused about a couple of things:

1) On the surface the tariff looks really cheap, but I can't work out whether the quoted price includes VAT or not. The T&Cs say that vat is added to their charges but it is unclear whether it has already been included in the calculation or not.

2) Under the fixed deal, the T&Cs say that the unit price is fixed but that they can increase your hero club membership cost based upon usage. Does this simply mean that they might move you into a different band if you go over the threshold, or can they increase the price whenever they like? Would you then still be locked in to the fix and have to pay the (£100) exit fees?
  • System
    Petriix wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about a couple of things:

1) On the surface the tariff looks really cheap, but I can't work out whether the quoted price includes VAT or not. The T&Cs say that vat is added to their charges but it is unclear whether it has already been included in the calculation or not.

2) Under the fixed deal, the T&Cs say that the unit price is fixed but that they can increase your hero club membership cost based upon usage. Does this simply mean that they might move you into a different band if you go over the threshold, or can they increase the price whenever they like? Would you then still be locked in to the fix and have to pay the (£100) exit fees?

A lot of the suppliers choose to show the standing charge, and the unit price without VAT but a total cost which is VAT inclusive. PCWs usually show VAT inclusive charges and total cost.

My reading of the offer is that if you consume more than the projected amount then the supplier might impose a higher membership fee. I avoided OFTM for this reason, and I went for a fixed deal with another supplier with a family and friends discount.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 4 March 2018 at 8:36AM
    Hengus wrote: »
    A lot of the suppliers choose to show the standing charge, and the unit price without VAT but a total cost which is VAT inclusive. PCWs usually show VAT inclusive charges and total cost.

My reading of the offer is that if you consume more than the projected amount then the supplier might impose a higher membership fee. I avoided OFTM for this reason, and I went for a fixed deal with another supplier with a family and friends discount.

@Hengus,
    Although I realise you did not switch to OFTM due to membership concerns, with that caveat, are you of the opinion that OFTM are not 'cowboys' and are offering a service that may catch on?

As far as the membership fee goes, my elderly folks fit into the higher brackets, namely the £10.99 bracket. Due to circulatory issues, my father hogs our BG supplied 2Kwh electric fan heater - hence, they are consuming approx. 4000Kwh of electricity, with gas usage being 13,500Kwh over 12 months - this has been the case for at least three years - my father won't change his habits period.

Having done the maths, as far as standing charges are concerned, OFTM's membership fee structure works out cheaper than many suppliers, specifically OVO and FU and their Electricity and Gas prices are far cheaper - so, the 18 month fix makes sense for my folks, with a projected cost of £83 per month, compared to more than £100 if I go the OVO/FU fixed deal route.

I'm also encouraged that OFTM are keen on installing SMETS2 Smart meter's once they become available, which as stated elsewhere, will be a boon for my elderly folks.

Of course, still much work to do on my side, namely, my folks can begin Switching by the middle of the month, or, I can wait until our next bill - 28th of the month, and then cancel DD to FU and go ahead with Switch - we have a balance of below £200, which will cover any usage between the final billing cycle before our FU May fix expires.

On another note, it would seem August is a good time to Switch providers, so, if I sign up for the 18 month fix, I can begin the switch cycle again in August 2019, by which time, my father will be in his 80s, that's if he's still kicking shall I say!!!!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Now "Outfoxing" bulb!, So how many of us who have got our £50 will switch?
  • System
    editor1 wrote: »
    @Hengus,
    Although I realise you did not switch to OFTM due to membership concerns, with that caveat, are you of the opinion that OFTM are not 'cowboys' and are offering a service that may catch on?

As far as the membership fee goes, my elderly folks fit into the higher brackets, namely the £10.99 bracket. Due to circulatory issues, my father hogs our BG supplied 2Kwh electric fan heater - hence, they are consuming approx. 4000Kwh of electricity, with gas usage being 13,500Kwh over 12 months - this has been the case for at least three years - my father won't change his habits period.

Having done the maths, as far as standing charges are concerned, OFTM's membership fee structure works out cheaper than many suppliers, specifically OVO and FU and their Electricity and Gas prices are far cheaper - so, the 18 month fix makes sense for my folks, with a projected cost of £83 per month, compared to more than £100 if I go the OVO/FU fixed deal route.

I'm also encouraged that OFTM are keen on installing SMETS2 Smart meter's once they become available, which as stated elsewhere, will be a boon for my elderly folks.

Of course, still much work to do on my side, namely, my folks can begin Switching by the middle of the month, or, I can wait until our next bill - 28th of the month, and then cancel DD to FU and go ahead with Switch - we have a balance of below £200, which will cover any usage between the final billing cycle before our FU May fix expires.

On another note, it would seem August is a good time to Switch providers, so, if I sign up for the 18 month fix, I can begin the switch cycle again in August 2019, by which time, my father will be in his 80s, that's if he's still kicking shall I say!!!!

There are a couple of points that need a response. Firstly, I doubt that any supplier sets out with anything but genuine intentions. Sadly, some get greedy and this is when problems arise because they 'recruit' additional customers without having the necessary CS resources to support the increased customer numbers. Secondly, I would not base any choice of supplier on the fact that they intend to rollout SMETS2 meters. All the small suppliers are waiting for the BIG 6 to get their SMETS2 meters approved: the small suppliers will then 'piggy back' onto the Big 6. Finally, is WHD a factor? Suppliers are not required to offer WHD until they reach 250k customers.
  • editor1
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    There are a couple of points that need a response. Firstly, I doubt that any supplier sets out with anything but genuine intentions. Sadly, some get greedy and this is when problems arise because they 'recruit' additional customers without having the necessary CS resources to support the increased customer numbers. Secondly, I would not base any choice of supplier on the fact that they intend to rollout SMETS2 meters. All the small suppliers are waiting for the BIG 6 to get their SMETS2 meters approved: the small suppliers will then 'piggy back' onto the Big 6. Finally, is WHD a factor? Suppliers are not required to offer WHD until they reach 250k customers.

Hengus,

As ever, many thanks for your input and please be advised that my folks get no state assistance, so don't get the WHD. Given I know full well what my folks gas and electric consumption is based on five years of meter readings and Smart Meter feedback by both OVO & FU, the fact remains paying OFTM £83 per month fixed for 18 months is a better bet than paying FU £105 per month for a 20 month fix. Indeed, if I change to OFTM my parents costs will be significantly cheaper than with OVO two years ago, or FU presently. We did get cash back to a value of £160 with FU when first signed up, but have still paid £60-80 more over the length of the contact than an alternative supplier. If FU were only £60 more expensive per year than OFTM, would probably not switch due to meter reading issues, but a £22 difference per month is big bucks for those on limited incomes.
  • System
    editor1 wrote: »
    Hengus,

As ever, many thanks for your input and please be advised that my folks get no state assistance, so don't get the WHD. Given I know full well what my folks gas and electric consumption is based on five years of meter readings and Smart Meter feedback by both OVO & FU, the fact remains paying OFTM £83 per month fixed for 18 months is a better bet than paying FU £105 per month for a 20 month fix. Indeed, if I change to OFTM my parents costs will be significantly cheaper than with OVO two years ago, or FU presently. We did get cash back to a value of £160 with FU when first signed up, but have still paid £60-80 more over the length of the contact than an alternative supplier. If FU were only £60 more expensive per year than OFTM, would probably not switch due to meter reading issues, but a £22 difference per month is big bucks for those on limited incomes.

It sounds like you do not need my advice. I am a frequent switcher and I can honestly say that I have only ever encountered one really bad supplier: bad, in the sense, that they were virtually uncontactable (as would seem to the case today). Yes, it took a bit of time to extricate myself from them but it hasn't put me off choosing new suppliers if the price is right. It is also worth looking at suppliers that offer friends and family discounts. I have managed to get 4 family members to switch twice in 3 months and we have shared out the goodies. Its the game that some suppliers seem to want to pay, so we are in for the moment. I think it is what Ofgem calls innovation but it has made switching decisions even more complicated than was the case 6 months ago. I hope that it goes well for your parents with OFTM.
  • editor1
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    It sounds like you do not need my advice. I am a frequent switcher and I can honestly say that I have only ever encountered one really bad supplier: bad, in the sense, that they were virtually uncontactable (as would seem to the case today). Yes, it took a bit of time to extricate myself from them but it hasn't put me off choosing new suppliers if the price is right. It is also worth looking at suppliers that offer friends and family discounts. I have managed to get 4 family members to switch twice in 3 months and we have shared out the goodies. Its the game that some suppliers seem to want to pay, so we are in for the moment. I think it is what Ofgem calls innovation but it has made switching decisions even more complicated than was the case 6 months ago. I hope that it goes well for your parents with OFTM.

Hengus,

What research I've managed to undertake via the internet on OFTM has not raised any Red flag issues thus far, and the business model they are promoting makes sense, that is a membership fee, as opposed to standing charges. Even in the £10.99 bracket the folks are saving money compared to OVO or FU, these being the benchmarks i use. I'm a firm believer in supporting new businesses that actual deliver good service and good prices and all reviews on OFTM thus far seem 95% positive. I'll chat with them in about a weeks time, not withstanding enquiries already made, but, life is a risk, and the real risk-weighting of switching to OFTM seems low. OVO once too were a new kid on the block, so lets hope OFTM mirror OVO, not in its price structure though.
  • editor1
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Well, having spent a week researching the market I've now decided that I'm switching to Outfox the Market, which does seem to offer a competitive pricing strategy and has good user feedback thus far on TrustedPilot and other feedback forums.

Will let you all know how it goes, but first thing first, need to get mother to cancel the First Utility Direct Debit, which should be done on Wednesday this week. On 12 March will formally begin the Switch, that's if OFTM have slots available.

I may like Smart Meters, but they ain't worth overpaying by £240 per year!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback