PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Wedding and saving for a mortgage

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What savings have you and how much are you saving a month ?

Are you looking to but a newbuild? If so beaware that whatever date the builder gives you will change and probably more than once.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    april_hunt wrote: »
    Sorry If my question was unclear! Just wanted to know other peoples opinions and advice on what they know or have done themselves.
    There's always option B.

We've been together 22 years, and aren't married...
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There's always option B.

Fair enough, but it only costs about £50 to get married. It's the wedding (i.e. celebration/party) that can be expensive.
  • pumpkin89 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but it only costs about £50 to get married. It's the wedding (i.e. celebration/party) that can be expensive.
    I think its a little more than that,possibly around the £200 mark for something very basic once fees are also paid,but yes that's the principle,its how you dress it all up that costs the money!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    We did the 2 together. Saved for a house deposit and had a wedding. The wedding was actually 6 months after we moved in. The wedding cost total around £6500 including honeymoon. We got married at our new local church, the reception was in our new local village hall and honeymoon was a weeks UK holiday. We had 130 day guests and an extra 50 evening guests.

You can do it much cheaper if you cut the guest list down too. Catering was our biggest expense.
  • AdrianC
    Increasing your mortgage by £6,500 means an increase in the total repayable over 25 years of over £10,000 (at 4% interest).
  • AdrianC
    Let me put it another way - every pound that's spent on the wedding instead of going into the house put, so is put on the mortgage instead, actually ends up costing £1.54.

And that's assuming that the LtV doesn't go into a higher interest rate.

<edit: A reply's been removed suggesting an extra £10k wasn't that much.>
  • First marriage £12000 (1994). Very stressful

Second marriage £2500 (2010). Absolutely perfect.

I do mean the wedding and the marriage lol
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    There's always option B.

We're the same, may be 23 yrs as can remember when first started going out but can't remember the year first started living together
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    One of the worst weddings I went to cost about £25K, although that figure did include groom's stag trip abroad.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure