MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers

Comments

• JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mr_K wrote: »
    Cripes, this is the second time this has happened to me! Being a cheapskate I was with GB Energy before that went under too ! I wouldn't panic/switch - on that occasion the co-op took over the accounts and honoured the tariff. As soon as the tariff finished, I switched. Suspect something similar will happen.

Surprised at the poor customer service reports, I've never had any problems. Always best to ensure you don't build up a credit balance despite what suppliers say.

This matches my experience exactly. I'm sorry to see them go.
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2018 at 3:59PM
    I have to say the only issue I've had with Iresa is with the website problems last year but they did sort it out eventually and has been working well.

I've had no reason to contact them as everything has been running smoothly for me, however my electricity credit balance has got quite large recently so I was on the verge of requesting a reduction of my DD and was dreading contacting them - but no need now!

I've downloaded a copy of my accounts and bills, but can't download January for some reason.

Sorry to see them go, I think they may have got there in the end.
  • I also had no issues with Iresa. The online system was great and communication reminding me to read the meter, timely. I liked the interest on in credit too. Great company, great prices , sorry to see them go.
  • lqa
    lqa Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am sad to see them go. I was in the my second year and my DD had remained the same. I had slightly overpaid electric (also have solar) and underpaid gas. So no shocks and they weren't hoarding my money like Power. Liked there website, it was clean and simple just needed an app for meter readings.
  • Andyjb49
    Andyjb49 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Me too, l don’t have complaints
  • Andyjb49
    Mine still works - in fact I’ve copied most of it
  • Andyjb49
    Totally agree with your comments
  • Andyjb49
    Again I totally agree with your comments
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Post-Iresa, I'm working on the assumption that the Ofgem-appointed successor is not going to offer a tariff that comes near to Iresa's current fix. Running the figures through CEC, the cheapest 12m fix for me (about a 5% increase on dual fuel) is with Yorkshire Energy, whom I know nothing about. Does anyone have any experience of them please?
    Alternatively, I could save a fiver a year by spitting my custom: gas with Cardiff Energy, electricity with Utility Point: again both unknown quantities with me.
    Trying to look on the bright side, it's surely not possible for any of these 3 to be more shambolic than Iresa?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    macman wrote: »
    Post-Iresa, I'm working on the assumption that the Ofgem-appointed successor is not going to offer a tariff that comes near to Iresa's current fix. Running the figures through CEC, the cheapest 12m fix for me (about a 5% increase on dual fuel) is with Yorkshire Energy, whom I know nothing about. Does anyone have any experience of them please?
    Alternatively, I could save a fiver a year by spitting my custom: gas with Cardiff Energy, electricity with Utility Point: again both unknown quantities with me.
    Trying to look on the bright side, it's surely not possible for any of these 3 to be more shambolic than Iresa?

Only have/had leccy with IRESA; I'm inclined to wait for whomever OFGEM "persuade" to adopt us before investigating the alternatives -had a quick look yesterday and the cheapest 12 month fix I could find ,was £60+ pa more:( All of the semi competitive quotes were from small operators, so I suspect that its going o be another leap of faith!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure