Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Gally :) it's a very special thing to remember her by.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    What a lovely and personal way to remember someone x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That's a lovely memorial, what is your friend going to do with the prints?

Your games afternoon sounds lovely too. :)
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Keep going with the French property, sorry it's not been easy.

Sounds like a great games afternoon. Our family games nights have fallen away as I've been so tired..will have to resurrect! Thanks x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    michelle09 wrote: »
    That's a lovely memorial, what is your friend going to do with the prints?
    Thank you! There are some he already has framed around the house; her daughter has chosen all the ones that she wants; and when he sets up in his new place, he'll have a selection up in the therapy room where he'll work. The rest he'll gradually sell via cafes and galleries that do that sort of thing.
    Your games afternoon sounds lovely too. :)
    Thanks! We've kept it going for a loooong time :rotfl: but from May, there's only going to be two of us, thats going to be a bit tricky.
    greent wrote: »
    What a lovely and personal way to remember someone x
    Very much so, it's really special, and it helps healing and closure.
    earthgirl wrote: »
    Keep going with the French property, sorry it's not been easy.
    I shouldn't have to send over much more now, with the mortgage ending in September. But there'll probably be more at some stage!
    Sounds like a great games afternoon. Our family games nights have fallen away as I've been so tired..will have to resurrect! Thanks x
    Honestly, I don't think there's anything better for building and keeping relationships going. Its helped us through all sorts of tough times.
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    So, a few mse things to report:
    1. I claimed another £10 Amazon voucher last night, so I was left with the princely sum of 3 SB points left in my account this morning. But I've got the hang of doing it with minimal input from me now, so I now have 90 odd :)
    2. Popped out to Waitrose, which is now my closest supermarket, and okay for pricing as long as you choose carefully. Which I did, obviously :D
    3. Did some research for a free walk along a country trail with my sister next week, easily accessible to us both, and working on dates to go see the Terracotta Warriors in the exhibition on Merseyside. Can't miss that!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,814
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    How excellent to have a Waitrose.
    Mine is a long way way away but I find there essentials ranges fab.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 March 2018 at 9:05AM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    So, a few mse things to report:
    1. I claimed another £10 Amazon voucher last night, so I was left with the princely sum of 3 SB points left in my account this morning. But I've got the hang of doing it with minimal input from me now, so I now have 90 odd :)
    2. Popped out to Waitrose, which is now my closest supermarket, and okay for pricing as long as you choose carefully. Which I did, obviously :D
    3. Did some research for a free walk along a country trail with my sister next week, easily accessible to us both, and working on dates to go see the Terracotta Warriors in the exhibition on Merseyside. Can't miss that!

Good morning Karmacat, lovely and sunny here this morning, hope that it is with you too.

In the early 1980's OH and I had moved to rural West Dorset, my best friend (still is:D), her OH and their young daughter (my god-daughter) came to visit. At this time there was an exhibition of a few of the Terracotta Warriors in Bournemouth, we visited and all were captivated by them. Roll on quite a few years and lovely GD was by now a relatively recently qualified teacher, she was asked to lead a school party of girls to China for 2 weeks. Her OH, also a teacher, didn't want to go, so she asked Mum to go and help her. Move on a few years still and OH and I had the first "big holiday" to China for 2 weeks this meant the 4 out of the 5 of us got to see the real thing (No 5 was not so interested LOL). One of my best memories ever and OH and I still watch anything that appears about China on the TV:rotfl:

You asked about my cooking recently, with increased stamina I have been trying to cook better quality meals than I had managed for a long time, I have to keep OH stoked up with cakes - he cycles 3 times a week, 100 miles in a good week, also although I don't eat many carbs I am trying to improve my baking of GF bread, savoury snacks and the occasional cake or cookie. It is all a bit hit and miss as I often seem to mis-read the instructions (no patience) and do things in the wrong order or miss something out:o

Have a nice Sunday:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Oh Maddie, thank you for that! How wonderful! I don't know why I hadn't been to any exhibitions previously that contained them, but I'm making up for lost time now. And you've actually seen them in situ - and lots of other experiences and events in China too. Brilliant!

I'm glad to hear your cooking's going so well - your OH will need carbs, of course, doing all that. I'd love to make sourdough bread, and savoury snacks too, though at the moment, my kitchen really isn't conducive to that - I've got lots of computer stuff in there doing as much scanning as I can. That should be finished by the end of Easter, so April will be the time to start doing a few bits.

Beanie - thanks, yes, I really do love having it that close. The Coop is as close, in another direction, but they price their stuff as if they were a corner shop, even the supposedly basic stuff.

The other thing I did yesterday was carry on stacking the small branches I'm going to burn next week, out of the way of weeds growing through :o That's going really well.

So today:
    - more stacking, its made a big difference.
    - more scanning. I'm meeting my sister on Thur, and she's storing the ones I've scanned that are due for distribution between us. That will help reclaim my kitchen :)
    - tidying while the scanner's doing its thing. If I didn't know better, I'd swear that someone was creeping in overnight and making a mess :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,814
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Have a lovely Sunday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback