wifi in an extension

Options
I'm not sure if what I'm after is even possible!

I've got an long extension on my bungalow and the wifi doesn't reach the new part of the house.

I have tried wifi extenders and ubiquti boxes but they don't work as well as I'd hoped.

Is it possible to run a cable from my router at one ond of the house, outside the house to another router in the extension and use this as an extender.

If so how please?!

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 August 2018 at 11:42AM
    Options
  • georgiac
    georgiac Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Running cable is no probem at all. You could also look at a homeplug set up.

Hi, thanks for the reply - we've tried homeplugs but have two seperate rings so they didn't work well.

What would I put on the other end of the cable to act as a wifi router or extender please?
  • custardy
    edited 11 August 2018 at 12:12PM
    Options
    georgiac wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply - we've tried homeplugs but have two seperate rings so they didn't work well.

What would I put on the other end of the cable to act as a wifi router or extender please?

Theres loads of options.
    if you have an old router you may simply be able to set that up.
    Eg

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/router-repeater-3633135/

Or buy a wireless access point in budget/preference
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Options
    The bt branded wifi discs extenders are meant to work well without lag
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you run an Ethernet cable across the loft, from your router? It is possible to use up to 100metres without loss of signal. I have a Cat 6 cable from 2 rooms and a hall away from this desktop and an Ethernet hub to 2 other devices when needed. Admittedly less than the distance you may have at 25 metres, but works fine. I also have a Cat 5e across the loft in the lounge, from the router to a Humax Freesat box.

Ethernet is always better than WiFi anyway.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • georgiac
    georgiac Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Can you run an Ethernet cable across the loft, from your router? It is possible to use up to 100metres without loss of signal. I have a Cat 6 cable from 2 rooms and a hall away from this desktop and an Ethernet hub to 2 other devices when needed. Admittedly less than the distance you may have at 25 metres, but works fine. I also have a Cat 5e across the loft in the lounge, from the router to a Humax Freesat box.

Ethernet is always better than WiFi anyway.

Hi, unfortunately it isn't possible to run it through the loft as I hadn't considered the need during the build and the roof space doesn't join.

This means it will have to go outside.

I presume an ethernet hub just means you can plug more wired objects (in)directly into the router?

That would work for some items but mot for others like mobiles/ tablets/ firesticks etc.

I wonder if it would be then possible to add one of the BT discs mentioned above to act as a wifi sender to the area? When we tried them from the router even with three discs it wouldn't reach the end of the extension but if we run a cable first it would only have 20metres to reach so hopefully will be in range?

Thanks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it possible to run a cable from my router at one ond of the house, outside the house to another router in the extension and use this as an extender.

If the Ubiquiti access point has a network port you could run a cable to that. Ideally you should use network cable designed for outdoor use but if you run it in some trunking it'll be OK.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    Options
    I have two routers linked to my main BT hub in order to spread Wi-fi around the house. I just used an ordinary Wi-fi router configured as an access point. They also act as switches using the spare Ethernet ports.
  • custardy
    Options
    Hi, unfortunately it isn't possible to run it through the loft as I hadn't considered the need during the build and the roof space doesn't join.

This means it will have to go outside.

I presume an ethernet hub just means you can plug more wired objects (in)directly into the router?

That would work for some items but mot for others like mobiles/ tablets/ firesticks etc.

I wonder if it would be then possible to add one of the BT discs mentioned above to act as a wifi sender to the area? When we tried them from the router even with three discs it wouldn't reach the end of the extension but if we run a cable first it would only have 20metres to reach so hopefully will be in range?

Thanks

Once you have an ethernet connection in the extension.
    You have the option to add wired connections,wifi as you wish.

You say the loft isnt an option. Is drilling through an option?
    Going outdoors is fine but keeping it indoors would probably be better longterm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure