20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Thanks Beanie :)

No Abba1772, I only negotiated for any extra work to be done in the additional time but electrician stretched work so there was no additional work. It is not right but it is okay and chalking it up to experience and putting it behind me :)

That is so not on.
    But as you say chalk it up to experience.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think you should provide feedback to the company, point out that they agreed to the additional work so clearly thought the time allowed was more than was needed, and let them know how much time the guy was off site and what he claimed to be doing. Firstly, they may not know how disorganised he is and secondly they may agree to complete the extra work (although you might want to insist that someone else does it!).
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks Greenbee. I don't think the electrician was disorganised. In fact he worked quite hard on stretching the job out and I understand why. I made a mistake choosing them in the first place. Lesson learnt, moving on and chalking it up to experience.

Have a good weekend :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    edited 6 August 2018 at 7:40AM
    I am burning frankincense oil today, so soothing.;)

I survived my return to work well. During August I will be working a maximum of 4 days a week so I am hoping I will be fine. Hopefully it will be that way all the time soon.:)

I am getting ready for my diet tomorrow. I have read the blood sugar diet and I am going onto phase 2. Phase 1 is for rapid weight loss and I don’t do well on very low calorie diets. The food is the same as I always eat so easy from that POV. The book states I will lose weight and my blood sugar will lower anyway just at a slower rate. I don’t believe in quick fixes, I trust slow and steady. ;)

This morning I have prepped veggies. This is key for me. I love veggies but I am like a child I need a ready made large salad box and a smaller box of veggie crudit!s. I don’t fancy them if I have to do something before I eat them.:o

Funny but getting debt free has changed my mindset so although I can’t/won't do phase 1 of the diet, phase 2 requires 2 days on 800 calories. That is 48 hours and the knowledge I can have a few squares of chocolate in 49 hours is bearable. Same as debt busting and a few NSDs see? Deferred gratification. A whole eight weeks of deferred gratification? Nah.

I have been researching women tradespeople today. I am fed up with male tradespeople, the whole experience is stressful from being talked down to, to overcharging because they think women won’t know any different. I also want to feel comfortable in my own home and some (not all) so far have left me feeling uncomfortable. I have texted a female decorator who lives surprisingly close by.

Before anyone says so, I know there are some lovely male tradespeople. I have met them and heard of them (an MSE diarist's hubby) but they are as rare as hen’s teeth in this house.

So today is about reflecting on my week and preparation for me

I hope your Sunday is going well :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Glad to hear work was ok, and you have 4 days sorted out. Having work done on your home is very stressful I think , well it is/was for me. Unfortunately it is a necessary thing sometimes, I used to want to be tidying up around them. When I was married and the kids were young, I moved out and went to MIL for a few days , the only way I could cope with being rewired .

My son has had a lady plasterer and no complaints from him, she did an amazing job. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the blood sugar diet. Friend of mine followed a Banting diet , similar I think to the one you are going to follow. He is now of type 2 diabetes meds.

Have an enjoyable day.
  • doingitanyway
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the blood sugar diet. Friend of mine followed a Banting diet , similar I think to the one you are going to follow. He is now of type 2 diabetes meds.
    Thanks Cumbria. Yes, diet low carb and no processed foods like Banting basically. Just worked out tomorrow's food plan and calorie counted and pinned on fridge. All systems are go :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Good news on 4 days for August :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Is there a local women's training facility? If so, could they signpost to female tradespeople.?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • doingitanyway
    I got through day 1 of the diet plan.

Looking forward to the delivery of a dress purchased on sale today. I rarely buy clothes and I want to look less shabby. It cost £70 (reduced from £180) and there was a £5 delivery charge so I am hoping it is suitable. It can be worn all year by adding a cardigan and thick tights so if okay it will get lots of wear. On a cost per wear basis it might end up being a super bargain...;)

Female decorator got back to me. She is busy with a job but will get back to me to arrange a quote by Saturday or at the start of next week. I had plans on the order of works in the house but now realise it is dependant on what trades are available.

Back at work but at least it is from home today ;)

Still thinking about exercise and going to simplify by walking 2 miles to a coffee shop that opens at 5am and walking back before work daily. Just waiting for the excessive heat to be over. Need some trainers and a tracksuit. I keep dithering about a pedometer, but just going to go by miles covered and time instead for now.

I discovered last week that another family member has been diagnosed as type 2, using that as motivation to stick to getting my blood sugars under control. Day 2 of the diet and determined.

Have a good day folks

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Do you have a smart phone, if so download my fitness pal is roughly counts your steps and it's free xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure