22 Foxhole East

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    I have bought a lot of wallpaper while it was cheap (on sale 70%off) and paste, so the decoration bill is not going to be massive. And I work cheap:rotfl:

DH is off on a conference in Holland for a week in three weeks time. So that will be nice:p for him anyway. I might try and book in a plasterer for while he is away. It will save me from earache - a sigh can say sooo much! and it would have dried out by the time he comes back. Will see what I can do.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    I cancelled the trip to the Peaks, due to whining of kids. They didn't want to pack their bags, why was I making them go, etc etc etc, so I rang up the hostel, and right in front of them cancelled the booking - £41 wasted. Hopefully it was lesson learned, we stayed home instead and turned out their bedrooms, and then their clothes drawers, and then their bookcases and toy boxes. Masses sent to both to the bin and charity shop.

Took another load to the tip this morning and sorted it all into the relevant recycling bins.

The house is looking much cleaner and tidier, but I now have a new list of things I need to buy before the start of term - school shoes (they have all grown - DS 1 is now a size 8 at 14 years old, so at least my shoes are safe again, and DS2 is a size 6, at 12 years old! All need new waterproof jackets. Luckily I have a massive range of sizes of wellies, so they can all just move up one size.

We are off to Norfolk next week for a final Huzzah! before term starts again after the Bank Holiday Monday. They had better behave!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • f0xh0les
    Smelly salesman arrived, and confirmed the price at £3,500.
    I must have somehow added £700 inside my head.
    Bargain!
    Annoyingly he kept asking DH questions about what he wanted and if he was happy with the pattern on the obscured glass, DH is not paying for the work, and has no interest in double glazing. Still, I find it annoying when they automatically default to the male setting.

He thinks that it should take about 4 weeks, waiting on a site survey now, and then we should have the real date! Exciting! And best of all, they don't take a deposit and it is payment on completion, and only when you are completely happy with the installation. So it gets to sit in my bank account for another month. I will miss it when it is gone! But there is easily enough leftover to pay for a plasterer afterwards, so that is reassuring, and I will not have to ask DH for a penny.

Funnily enough, since I told you about DH and his money hoarding, it is bothering me less. Just one of his funny little ways.

What is quite exciting though, is knowing that I have been able to save quite a hefty amount in a relatively short time, just from frugality in the family budget, and when the jobs are done on the house, it means I will be able to send us on a really nice holiday somewhere - I am a bit jealous of all the lovely holiday photos on Farcebook , one lady I know has posted the most beautiful pictures of Bermuda, I know next week I will have Sheringham, West Runton and Cromer, but still, I have beach envy.:rotfl:
    But I think I would settle for a cruise, quite fancy cruising.
    Whales and Northern lights would be cool too.
  • Yay about the windows!
    Nay about the smelly salesman. The being treated like an incompetent female bugs me too.

When sorting out having our roof done one guy wouldn't give me a written quote or really commit to even a ballpark-figure, when I pressed him over it he suggested he "speak to my partner" instead :mad: He had no way of knowing if I even had a partner! Needless to say, I didn't go with him.

Whales and Northern lights would be an ace holiday, I do quite like North Norfolk too though :p
    MFiT-T4 #75: £142,480 to £86,700 by Jan 2019
    [STRIKE]Feb16: £142,480[/STRIKE]. [STRIKE]April16: £138,900[/STRIKE]. [STRIKE]July16: £132,242[/STRIKE][STRIKE] Oct16: £129,824[/STRIKE], July17: £115,841
  • f0xh0les
    When sorting out having our roof done one guy wouldn't give me a written quote or really commit to even a ballpark-figure, when I pressed him over it he suggested he "speak to my partner" instead :mad: He had no way of knowing if I even had a partner! Needless to say, I didn't go with him.

In Manchester I had window firms who would not even come and quote unless DH was present- big tv advertising firms - who would not take my money unless DH was willing to sign the agreement.

He suggested I tell them he was 'inside' for 20 years and see if they would quote under those circumstances:rotfl:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    So how on earth are single women supposed to buy new windows?
  • f0xh0les
    They are allowed as they are not fluffy headed wives.

It is as soon as the 'Mrs' is out of the bag that the attitude changes,
    Or if you have a 'partner ' that you cease to be competent.

I had never noticed in the small print that you need a pen1s to be able to choose double glazing. Thank god you dont need one to open and close them
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    In Manchester I had window firms who would not even come and quote unless DH was present- big tv advertising firms - who would not take my money unless DH was willing to sign the agreement.

He suggested I tell them he was 'inside' for 20 years and see if they would quote under those circumstances:rotfl:

That just made me think of Birds of a Feather :rotfl:

Must be something about glazing salesmen, my mum had one for doors that smelt. Thankfully I haven't had the 'speak to your DH' from anyone, probably because I don't let them get a word in until I've thoroughly explained what I do and don't want followed by a look of 'and don't even think about calling me luv' ... resting b1tch face comes I need handy at times :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• f0xh0les
    Kerri GT
    I hate the

'what does your husband do for a living luv?'

I really want to ask 'why? does it affect the quote?'

but soon I am just going to say 'he's a pole dancer'.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Kerri GT
    I hate the

'what does your husband do for a living luv?'

I really want to ask 'why? does it affect the quote?'

but soon I am just going to say 'he's a pole dancer'.

Ooh... please do :rotfl: (And video it...)

The other one that works is 'what he's told' ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback