We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Planting ideas around compost area

Options
2»

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Laurel is properly easy to look after and will support bird, bug and critter life. It's a great screen for a dirty area of the garden. An annual trim like a hedge and you're done.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Hate to disagree, but there are clones that don't do that. Like bamboo, laurels all get tarred with the same brush.

This one, for example, has an AGM:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/99043/Prunus-laurocerasus-Otto-Luyken/Details

There is a place for fast-growing, sound-absorbing, screening evergreens, but I'll admit the wildlife credentials of laurel are pretty poor. Even the lowly leylandii is good for nesting.

Cherry Laurel? That's what takes up the majority of wildlife/ecological trusts' work round here, as it completely crowds out all the useful native species and kills off all the woodland wildflowers. I've felled enough of the blasted things this year and never had so much as a spider come out of them or scuttle across the ground, either - get rid and have native species - Cherry Plum, Holly, Blackthorn, Hawthorn, etc - and you're inundated with happily nesting birds, non poisonous fruit for human and/or wildlife plus critters galore to eat any caterpillars, grubs, moths or spiders and pollinators to ensure the garden is full of life and food.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, when one has a noisy, aggressive, slightly unhinged neighbour, the wildlife credentials of what one places on their boundary becomes a secondary consideration.

However, there's 1/2 km of other native stuff, so no worries for the wee animals.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Unfortunately, when one has a noisy, aggressive, slightly unhinged neighbour, the wildlife credentials of what one places on their boundary becomes a secondary consideration.

However, there's 1/2 km of other native stuff, so no worries for the wee animals.

Holly appeals to me in such situations. Or anything else that has big, sharp, pointy bits. No crown lifting there :D
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • segovia1
    segovia1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. Because of other commitments I've put the work off until next year but will definitely be taking on board lots of these helpful comments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure