Blogging

Comments

• lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    People don't tend to make a lot of money through banners, mostly it's affiliate links or sponsored posts.
  • tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mikep22 wrote: »
    You will need to post more regularly then that I would imagine. I have a blog (which I could advertise better) - and I have around 100 people viewing each one. I dont make any money (its not really for that purpose). In order to get people coming back the content really needs to be daily IMHO.

As for hosts. I use 1 and 1. No complaints and some wordpress themes which are easy to implement.

I disagree. Yes, you need to update it fairly regularly. However, if you post every day for the sake of it, you could end up posting rubbish which will drive people away.
    The main focus should be on posting quality and not quantity.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    tonycottee wrote: »
    I disagree. Yes, you need to update it fairly regularly. However, if you post every day for the sake of it, you could end up posting rubbish which will drive people away.
    The main focus should be on posting quality and not quantity.

Of course, but posting once a week is not going to get the job done.

Those people who do well post regularly and of a good standard.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • I started my blog on Monday night with Siteground using Wordpress. Not really done anything to it yet, going to put some hours into it this weekend and get it live and my blogging journey can begin. Focussing on Travel and Men's lifestyle.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge:
    £536.78/£2018 (26.5% complete)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    mikep22 wrote: »
    Of course, but posting once a week is not going to get the job done.

Those people who do well post regularly and of a good standard.

Mike is right. Once a week is not enough, that's only 52 posts a year. Readers don't come back weekly, they want to check in daily to see what you're up to.

If you are blogging for money you need to look on it as a job and allocate a certain amount of time to it daily. You need to back it up by posting on other social media sites, and videos on youtube.

I have written 3190 posts since I started nine years ago. I post almost every day, and get 6000 page views a day. That's the sort of numbers you should be aiming for, and mine is just a hobby, I don't make anything from it.

Just writing a few posts and then sitting back to see what happens isn't going to work. It needs effort and discipline.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • tonycottee
    Ilona wrote: »
    Mike is right. Once a week is not enough, that's only 52 posts a year. Readers don't come back weekly, they want to check in daily to see what you're up to.

If you are blogging for money you need to look on it as a job and allocate a certain amount of time to it daily. You need to back it up by posting on other social media sites, and videos on youtube.

I have written 3190 posts since I started nine years ago. I post almost every day, and get 6000 page views a day. That's the sort of numbers you should be aiming for, and mine is just a hobby, I don't make anything from it.

Just writing a few posts and then sitting back to see what happens isn't going to work. It needs effort and discipline.

Ilona

But that depends on your blog. I know of a financial blogger that posts 1-2 times a week and easily makes six figures.

If I wanted to make money from blogging, I would prefer 10 people visit my blog daily and for me to make £100 from them, compared to 1000 daily and not making any money.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    tonycottee wrote: »
    But that depends on your blog. I know of a financial blogger that posts 1-2 times a week and easily makes six figures.

If I wanted to make money from blogging, I would prefer 10 people visit my blog daily and for me to make £100 from them, compared to 1000 daily and not making any money.

Who is this financial blogger then? What is their background, what are their qualifications, how long have they been blogging??? If it is so easy to make shed loads of money while putting very little effort into it, why isn't everyone doing it?

People who are reading these forums are not generally financial wizards, if they were they wouldn't be here. Wouldn't everyone like to get rich by doing very little for it?

It's ridiculous saying ten people will visit a blog and spend £10 each. If only ten people went into a shop possibly all of them would walk out again without buying anything. How many people browse ebay and buy, probably a very tiny minority.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • tonycottee
    edited 18 September 2017 at 6:33PM
    Ilona wrote: »
    Who is this financial blogger then? What is their background, what are their qualifications, how long have they been blogging??? If it is so easy to make shed loads of money while putting very little effort into it, why isn't everyone doing it?

People who are reading these forums are not generally financial wizards, if they were they wouldn't be here. Wouldn't everyone like to get rich by doing very little for it?

It's ridiculous saying ten people will visit a blog and spend £10 each. If only ten people went into a shop possibly all of them would walk out again without buying anything. How many people browse ebay and buy, probably a very tiny minority.

Ilona

I didn't say she didn't put much effort in. In fact, she put loads in. Mainly social media, SEO, gaining backlinks and meeting with companies. It takes a lot of effort to earn that amount. It's generally the effort you don't see that makes the money. If she spent her time putting a post up every day, she wouldn't make anywhere near as much.

The £10 figure was just an example. I could have said 1000 people visit and 10 spend £10. The result is the same. One blog makes money and the other doesn't.

It should be quality over quantity.
  • Emmaaar22
    Emmaaar22 Posts: 731 Forumite
    I know theirs so many of these threads but I am so stuck as what to do.

So basically, I run my own style blog over on Tumblr..It`s very popular has just under 40,000 followers, a constant flow of visitors and hits and is updated regularly. We are also the first link on Google and we have social medias that are always active.

Over the last few months I have begun to love what I do and I can`t see myself stepping away from it anytime soon, So I thought with all the right boxes ticked this would be a good move. I have tried to get the blog activated with Google Adsense but I have no chance as some of the rules I just can`t remove from my blog, infact it`s impossible for me not to do it. I`ve also tried Media.net and i`m waiting to see if I can get approved by them again. I have also tried contacting brands etc to see if they would be interested in sponsoring me but none got back to me, infact one got in contact with me but they gave me a invalid link to the payment system, I did contact them regarding this issue but they never got back to me :(.

The problem i`m having is that I have a blog which I know I can make money from, But I can`t seem to find a way to make any income from it. I`ve tried a few ad paying sites but as I said it`s impossible for me to bend the rules for them. sponsors don`t respond. I know of Amazon affilates and when I was researching them I found Ebay Affilates, I have been using them but it`s going to take a while to see if it`s actually worked.

Can anyone help a girl out? Desperately looking for a anwser
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • Reue
    Reue Posts: 569 Forumite
    Google adsense pays peanuts. The big money is in sponsored postings and affiliate sales.

I'm not sure how you look for sponsored postings tbh, I've always had them contact me directly.

Affilate sales should be eays enough to setup. Find a relevant product and search for their affilate scheme, most companies have them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure