Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 98
  • lisa83546708
    hello all!
    im a little new at this, but have been reading the boards rather than going out and spending at lunch time which has been a real spur on for me and DH to cut down on how much we spend on food!!

for now, we are allowing ourselves 1 main shop which is delievered and 40 per week on those other weeks.
    this also includes going out, presents and take outs.

so far, not too bad... will relook at the budget and decide on a smaller amount for just food and keep a little other money for the rest as this is not always needed every week!!

staying at my PC is def better than wondering around the town centre!
    bought a note book last night to keep track on food spending starting from tomorrow....

keep well everyone and thanks for enteraining me
  • elfen
    Spent 35.11 in Mr A and got all I needed, have also mealplanned up until the beginning of February, and we should only need little bits. Still got 38 in the budget but hopefully we'll come in under
    ** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • Long tall sally
    Hi everybody. I stil can't find my Aldi or Lidl receipts from Wednesday. The amounts have hit the bank account now so I have updated my signature. I'm a bit cross with myself though cos I have managed to just go over my budget from not keeping a closer eye on where I had actually got to spending wise & if I had done, I could easily have left some of the fruit that I bought yesterday & actually hit target. Mind you, I also can't help thinking that there was something else apart from the socks & teatowels that I bought at Aldi or Lidl that shouldn't have been included in the grocery spends but I cannot think what that might be. Still, this will probably be my best month for ages so budget going in the right direction, I suppose.

It certainly pays to shop around though, if you have the time. Yesterday I bought 5 avocados at the market for a 1 and 4 tins of tuna for 2.47 (I think) at Home Bargains. I then had to go to Sainsbu*ys for some gluten free biscuits & noticed that avocados there were 99p each & the same four tins of tuna 5.99 (not that I would ever pay that much!). So that would have been 7.47 dearer at Sainsbu*ys for the same thing!

NSD today as my car is at the garage getting the battery sorted. I may need to get milk before pay day Wednesday.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • Equilibrium
    1 in piece root ginger, chopped finely (or 2 teaspoons jar or dried)
    3 Garlic Cloves, chopped finely (or 2 teaspoons jar or powdered)
    chili fresh (dried or powdered)
    2 tablespoons oil groundnut/sunflower/ olive oil or a mix of these.
    Fry all the above then add...
    1 Onion (chopped)
    If the food sticks to the pan add a little water to free it.

Small piece Steak I used fillet, (cut into strips marinade in Soy Sauce)
    If using raw steak add this now. (move around till cooked, then remove from pan).

Leftover Roast Beef
    Leftover Chicken
    Leftover Ham
    Leftover Pork
    Prawns
    Choose any of above, add near the end of cooking

Carrot (chopped)
    Pepper (chopped)
    Use up any veg you have, mange tout, green beans, courgette, cabbage etc, frozen peas, sweetcorn.
    Stir fry above.
    If your using prawns add them now.

Cook the following separately
    Mushrooms (cook under grill in pan with a nob of butter)
    2 eggs beaten with a little milk cook in same pan you made the mushrooms in (don't cook with the mushrooms).

If your using noodles stir fry veg packs with bean sprouts are good.
    Bean sprouts and any veg you have will do.
    Amoy Straight to wok are good or any cooked noodles you have.
    Add the meat, mushrooms & cooked egg.
    Garnish with spring onions and coriander, a little chinese 5 spice, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt if liked.

If making fried rice, cook the rice. 1/2 cup per person. Add the rice to the pan of cooked veg, add the cooked egg.
    Garnish with spring onions, add soy sauce, and coriander.

I like making both these dishes with a variety of different coloured veg, they look amazing and taste delicious, are quick and easy to cook.
    I keep little bags of chopped up leftover meats/veg in the freezer.
    You don't need much meat. For Veggie option no meat LOL.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Mothership they sound gorgeous !

Thanks for the gingerbread man recipe Equilibrium! Something I've always wanted to make with the children, but they do it at their grandparents' house so I haven't bothered up til now. Seems easy so will give it a go!
    PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    They are really easy PennyGrabber, and very sticky and messy too, the kids will love it. I always find that once ive got a good texture when mixing by hand, i then add a bit of flour to my hands to make a firmish ball

Equilibrium your delish Gingerbread Men recipe is in the index, thanks
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Thankyou Rosieben

NSD today and waiting in for our yearly gas inspection , so stops me heading to the shops
    GC spend Jan so far 165.68/ 160 FEB 189 /170
    MARCH 0/170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you
  • Mothership
    Donald Russell Online butchers have a 10% off everything till sunday 23rd Code win11e9g

I love their meat, it is just delicious, a right old fashioned taste, their website has some lovely recipes too, and their customer service is second to none.
    I purchased the following packs , I'm right into my slow cooker at the moment, and these just are cuts are just perfect to cook in it.

http://www.donaldrussell.com/p/ShopByCategory_Beef_Beef%20Selections/beef-for-braising-d883.htm

http://www.donaldrussell.com/p/HomePromotions/winter-stew-selection-D1119.htm

I got wee 69 windfall from quidco and put 36.30 towards an order for 3 of the Beef for braising packs,with the 10% off it came to 105. 30. I had the order all ready in the cart (waiting for next month) when I got the 10% off email and I swooped LOL.
    Its coming at the end of Feb (you can choose your delivery date,) that will give us time to eat the freezer.

OMG just realised I've turned into my GRANNY LOL, these are all cuts of meat she used to buy, they are hard to come by nowadays.

Thats me overbudget noo.
    Last edited by Mothership; 21-01-2011 at 1:25 PM.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
  • nattyt
    Hello all. Can't keep up with thread but my spend so far is 169. Very pleased with that and think i will come in at under 200. x
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
    • russetred
    • By russetred 21st Jan 11, 1:59 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Hi just updating my total.I know what you mean about checking prices long tall sally, egg noodles 1.42 in t***o, 49p in Al**!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • martafdz
    Thanks for those links! I really would like to try that website, maybe for my next shopping. I am sticking to what I have in the fridge atm until I make some space. But that beef looks amazing!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Shysarah
    Okies, some updating time for me. As ressetred said keeping up with this thread is near impossible but hope your all doing well xx

Market - Mushrooms, Spring Onions, Red Onions - 3.17
    Sainsbugs - 19.16

Running total is 39.99... I would never have believed it!!

I have 1p to last me until the end of Jan. Should in theory manage it as I have lots in now, might run over with veggies but so far I am ever so chuffed!!
    GC 2011
    Jan 43.45/40.00 Feb 55.14/55.00 Mar 64.88/120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon)

• Robson65
    • By Robson65 21st Jan 11, 2:58 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Robson65
    Hello everyone

People interested in breadmaker recipes should have a look here

http://www.carrsbreadmaker.info/recipes/index.html

There are loads !
    I've tried the chocolate loaf but made the mistake of making a large loaf in a small breadmaker. The dough almost took over the kitchen !

Robson
    • esmer
    • By esmer 21st Jan 11, 3:06 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    esmer
    Just been to Mr T's and got my groceries and Spent 31.58 Add on my M&S trip for some stuff during the week 6.95 This weeks spends are 38.53.

Not sure about you guys but I am really watching what Im spending, but Im noticing the prices are up. The bread I like is 1.20 Im cutting right back. I know it will all help when I can save a lot this year, but you have to think of EVERYTHING. Gets tiring.............
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • salski
    Oh my bad! I wasnt planning on shopping this week - but it got to Thurs and we had no fruit, carbs, snacks etc so went to supermarket. Spent 20 which is better than the 70 I would have spent if I didnt think about it.
    Also just took stock of my freezer and have enough food for a week, so no meat buying is needed. I did forget marg and coffee though - so shall have to go back to Mr M's later
    Im trying to see it as a positive that Ive not done the usual 70, but Im sure if I was more careful I could have just bought essentials only!
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS 750 now 0! Natwest CC - WAS 1600 now 100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 21st Jan 11, 3:22 PM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    We are up to 60 quid but it doesnt include a bottle of 36 turkish lira(14 quid approx.) booze-i just bought! its been one of those weeks and i havent had a drink since xmas--i am just questioning the wisdom of actually opening it because i know i am being extravagent when we have been going so well this month--or keep it for a more significant ocassion--other than another week done!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
    • monicaj
    • By monicaj 21st Jan 11, 3:24 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    monicaj
    Just totalled the week - 67.36 spend out of 69.00 budget - got 95.50 for the rest of the month, but I'm going to try and come in 30 under budget, I will then carry that forward and I'll have a little pot for entertaining friends too !! Woop Woop !!!!
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 21st Jan 11, 3:26 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,428 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hello all,

I'm going for 260.00 and will finish after shopping on 28th January

Total so far, 156.45

Co-op 2.42
    Aldi 1.59 - Dry Roasted Peanuts at the till
    Co-op 7.45
    Asda 50.93

New Total 218.84

Which leaves 41.16 for next weeks shopping, if I don't spend anything during the week. I think I'll have to make sure I have NSD's.
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 21st Jan 11, 3:37 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    I have gone over this month but I shall not feel too awful about it as I have also been stocking up for next month. I am taking it all from this months GC though as this is the month that it came from the account (I know that probably doesnt make sense lol). I would like to declare for January 443.43

I am due to go into hospital on 8th February to have our baby and due to him having issues and needing an operation I dont know how long I will be in for so I need a stocked freezer and storecupboard for DH (who doesnt cook) and my mum/MIL who can just come over and cook for DH and my other 2 children. At least I know I wont be in there stressing there is no food! Also, there will be a lot less shopping trips and DH and the girls can have dinner at MIL/mums so I think it will all even out in the end!

I have really noticed the price of things going up this week. I found some receipts from 2008 for grocery and petrol/diesel and was really quite shocked at the difference in monthly spending. I hope these things dont keep going up.

I did see a Home Bargains sign go up on an empty store when I was in our local town earlier so that really excited me as I often see it spoken about on here but this is the first time i have ever seen or heard of one in our area. Are there any pros and cons for this store that others would like to share?
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
  • helen jelly
    Hello everyone

People interested in breadmaker recipes should have a look here

http://www.carrsbreadmaker.info/recipes/index.html

There are loads !
    I've tried the chocolate loaf but made the mistake of making a large loaf in a small breadmaker. The dough almost took over the kitchen !

Robson
    Originally posted by Robson65
    Brilliant site for people like me who have a super duper breadmaker but have no cooking inclination so need all the help they can get lol
    I've bookmarked it and intend to use it at least once a week if I can

Thank you

Mummygems - Lots of good delivery vibes for you for 8.2.11 - hope it goes well

Helen x
    Last edited by helen jelly; 21-01-2011 at 3:48 PM.
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 21st Jan 11, 5:25 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    1.00 spent today in Farmfoods on 2 bags of peas!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • cat_smith
    Donald Russell Online butchers have a 10% off everything till sunday 23rd Code win11e9g

I love their meat, it is just delicious, a right old fashioned taste, their website has some lovely recipes too, and their customer service is second to none.
    I purchased the following packs , I'm right into my slow cooker at the moment, and these just are cuts are just perfect to cook in it.

http://www.donaldrussell.com/p/ShopByCategory_Beef_Beef%20Selections/beef-for-braising-d883.htm

http://www.donaldrussell.com/p/HomePromotions/winter-stew-selection-D1119.htm
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Thanks for this. Just done an order for Feb. Can't wait to try it.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 21st Jan 11, 5:58 PM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    i bit the bullet and opened my bottle of booze! dont feel happier for it because i wasnt unhappy before! --maybe i should learn to keep my money in my pocket and stick to coffee(which i am sure is just as bad as booze for me!)--i am about 200 quid under budget based on last month --now how can i spend my ill gotten gains!!???
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter