Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 97
  • Candy Belle
    Happy Friday All!!!

I'm declaring 248.52 for Jan my month runs from 21st - 21st.
    Over budget but considering that I would normally spend 200 alone just on groceries (for 2 of us!) without adding cleaning products & cat food to the mix!! So am chuffed

Wish everyone luck for the rest of the months challenge and coming in under budget!

Have a good day everyone x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • martafdz
    Welcome jovi!

It's not an NSD for me, we need some bedsheets and I am off to the closest outlet. 10 days to go and I think I will do this GC! Yaaay! Not meeting the NSD, I put my target too high.

My bread yesterday was awful. OH had some with butter, but still... it was not fluffy, too dense and greyish inside instead of white. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Maybe it needed to be worked more?

I was looking in Supersavvyme and there are some offers out there:

1. Spend 10 and get a 5 voucher for next purchase with always, Ariel (Stain remover), Bold 2in1, Fairy, Febreeze, Flash, Herbal Essences, Lenor, Nice'n easy, Pampers, Pantene, Tampax (... I wonder... I could but the nice'n easy hair dye with Boots points... then claim the 5 voucher!!)

2. 1 off coupon for Pringles multigrain

3. 1 off coupon for IAMS food

4. Sample of Olay and competitions

5. Coupons for Head & Shoulders, Fairy All in One, Ariel Powder, Ariel Gel, Ariel Liquitabs, Duracel rechargables, Lenor fabric softener and Oral B refill. Only one per member per month, if I recall right.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rosieben
    Mothership, your chinese stir fry recipe is in the index, thank you
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • bella121984
    Morning everyone!

Just been to the fridge to get some milk for my cereal and im concerned by how empty it looks...im theory I have enough food to last the rest of the month- ive planned and everything...but it really doesnt look like it! I keep finding little bits I forgot to buy too, but I still have 35ish left of my budget so I think itll be ok!

Ive saved getting on for 200 this month on groceries alone, DH is very impressed! We are off to Ikea tomorrow to buy a better storage thing for the lounge, all the kids toys are in baskets and on a bookshelf (if theyre not all over the floor or just thrown in that general direction lol) and it drives me mad, hopefully this is going to work much better...but we would never have been able to afford it if I hadnt saved that much on this challenge, so thanks everyone for all your help/ hints/ encouragement!
    January grocery challenge- 338.09/350
    365 in 365 days- 25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- 16.89
  • rosieben
    My bread yesterday was awful. OH had some with butter, but still... it was not fluffy, too dense and greyish inside instead of white. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Maybe it needed to be worked more?
    Originally posted by martafdz
    your recipe didn't mention kneading the dough?

I make bread and I always I knead it for a few minutes or so, unless doing the no-knead bread which needs to stand for a few hours (18 hours I think); when bread dough is first mixed it feels grainy, but after a few minutes kneading it becomes smooth and 'elastic'

one of our best bread making threads is Thriftlady's Adventures with Bread Dough; we also have the Complete Breadmaking Collection and of course we have bread recipes in the front page index
    Last edited by rosieben; 21-01-2011 at 9:44 AM.

• martafdz
    your recipe didn't mention kneading the dough?

I make bread and I always I knead it for a few minutes or so, unless you're doing the no-knead bread which needs to stand for a few hours; when bread dough is first mixed it feels grainy, but after a few minutes kneading it becomes smooth and 'elastic'

one of our best bread making threads is Thriftlady's Adventures with Bread Dough; we also have the Complete Breadmaking Collection
    and of course we have bread recipes in the front page index
    Originally posted by rosieben

Oh, thank you!!! I did knead it for a few minutes... maybe not enough!! I will read those threads and see what went wrong. I enjoyed the experience, I now want to enjoy the result lol!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rosieben
    I think its a case of trying recipes until you find one that works for you; there's a recipe here somewhere for soft white rolls which is absolutely the best bread I've ever made - recipe here at danlepard

and I can recommend D&DD's apple braid recipe, I've also made a savoury version with cheese and onion filling - its post #14 in the Adventures thread
    Last edited by rosieben; 21-01-2011 at 9:14 AM.

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 21st Jan 11, 9:06 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Week 2 of our challenge starts today (21/1/11), but as I have to wait in today for post I did the shop yesterday PM, spending ~18 in Lidl and ~2 in Tesco.
    Sig updated.

ETA Post was coming at 3, then 12 ish, today 10am so it seems I don't have to wait in after all then. Was expecting a package from mum, never mind!
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 21-01-2011 at 9:12 AM.
    • skilly
    • By skilly 21st Jan 11, 9:08 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    morning all ,going to make a carrot can anyone tell me if this carrot cake recipe looks any good ? the person i am making this for loves carrot cake ,also should i go for low fat or kill them with calories Ingredients

4Cupflour4Cupsugar2Teaspoonbaking powder2Teaspoonbaking soda2Teaspoonsalt2Teaspooncinnamon2Cupsalad oil (or 1 cup oil, 1 cup applesauce)8 eggs1Cupbroken walnuts6Cupcarrots, finely shredded (about 2 pounds)

Instructions

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and lightly flour 2 13-by-9 inch sheet cake pans (or 4 9-by-9 inch square cake pans).
    Using large stand mixer (like Kitchen-Aid brand), combine all dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Add carrots, oil (or oil and applesauce) and eggs. Beat on low until mixed, then increase mixer speed to medium and beat for two minutes. Spread batter in pans.
    Bake at 325 degrees until the cake centers spring back when touched lightly--about 45 minutes for large pans, 35 to 40 minutes for small pans. Allow cakes to cool in the pan on a cooling rack before frosting with Cream Cheese icing.

Notes

Cream Cheese Icing: Allow 2 3-ounce packages of cream cheese and one (1/2 cup) stick of butter to come to room temperature. Place in mixer bowl, and beat on high speed until combined. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and 4 cups powdered sugar. Beat at medium-high speed until light and fluffy--2 to 4 minutes. Ice tops of cakes only. Sprinkle frosting with chopped walnuts. thanks
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 21st Jan 11, 9:21 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    and I can recommend D&DD's apple braid recipe, I've also made a savoury version with cheese and onion filling - its post #14 in the Adventures thread
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Rosie...how to you make the cheese and onion filling...do you fry the onion first...grate the cheese????

THANKS
  • rosieben
    yes I grate the cheese, chop the onions and mix them up, you could fry the onions to soften them a little if you wanted to

D&DD's original posting of Apple braid is here in post #42; the thread is well worth a read and there are loads of good recipes

eta skilly - that carrot cake sounds lush!
    Last edited by rosieben; 21-01-2011 at 9:46 AM.

• happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 21st Jan 11, 9:44 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    my friend does a similar recipe to the apple braid and puts in left over marzipan from when she ices her Christmas cake, its delish. thinking about making the cheese and onion version as having a girls night in tonight.
    • cha97michelle
    • By cha97michelle 21st Jan 11, 10:22 AM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 67,619 Thanks
    cha97michelle
    Just looking at my budget and we have spent 181.91/190 on food, cat food and toiletries. This means i have 8.09 left and 10 days to sort everyone out.

I think this is going to be tough but do-able. I will need more milk and some fruit for the pack ups, but i think if i made the bread i might get away with it. We do have some part baked baguettes and also some naan breads in the pantry, so i would maybe only need to make some rolls for DHs lunch or get organised and bake the baguettes so they had time to cool .

Oh if i only didn't love my bed so much i might be more motivated to get up and do it.

If i am struggling then i have 5.50 of clubcard vouchers but i would rather save them for deals.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 21st Jan 11, 10:29 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    3 days left of my Jan GC
    Please please - we do not fail, we look at what we've done, we learn and we move on - everything we do is a "learn" for us - never ever a fail, this is a challenge - long term - we will never get it right the first, second or third time. Minnie2 - you are doing so well, you are looking at what you spend and learning about your shopping habits, it took a while to get it wrong so it will take a while to get it right, please be proud of what you have done so far, you are getting it right, right, right. Take a big breath and start again. I get it wrong nearly every month but always start again, so do lots of other people on here!! We are always here to listen and help, use us as your sounding board and keep on trying - lots of hugs, Helen x
    Originally posted by helen jelly

Good post helen jelly, it sums it up well

Realy feel like swearing*******. My mother gave me some cherries, which I love but don't often but 'cause of cost and I have broken my front tooth on a stone! Have to see if I can get emergency appointment at dentist tomorrow. That will be a fun (and probably expensive) way to spend Friday.

Will probably feel very sorry for myself tomorrow.
    Originally posted by gdyr1945
    You poor thing, i'm thinking of you

Just wanted to say hello I joined in November and did ok completely lost the plot in December and am trying to get sorted thinking of January as a getting phyced (sp) up and am going to join whole heartedly into the February Grocery Challenge.

Got some great whoopsies tonight that really spurred me on roll on 1st feb

Well done all of you you are an inspiration.....
    Originally posted by Picklepud

Hi Picklepud, welcome back

Well, my new GC officially starts on Monday but i can't have the car to go shopping then, so i'm going tomorrow and taking the money from my Feb GC, just two days early, as i know i can't get through another week without doing a big shop.

This time though i have my shopping list ready and i've checked on 'my supermarket' and i know where i need to go to get the cheapest things and offers...so i am ready and armed for Feb's grocery challenge!

Hope everyone is well.

By the way, if anyone is interested, there is a thread now on the food shopping & groceries board (under the quick grab it while you can board) about shopping in bulk-the thread is called:

'with competition at a peak between supermarkets, are you stocking up on the deals? '

..it's an interesting read and people are now posting good offers for bulk buying. Hope this helps someone.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 21st Jan 11, 10:30 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Just looking at my budget and we have spent 181.91/190 on food, cat food and toiletries. This means i have 8.09 left and 10 days to sort everyone out.

I think this is going to be tough but do-able. I will need more milk and some fruit for the pack ups, but i think if i made the bread i might get away with it. We do have some part baked baguettes and also some naan breads in the pantry, so i would maybe only need to make some rolls for DHs lunch or get organised and bake the baguettes so they had time to cool .

Oh if i only didn't love my bed so much i might be more motivated to get up and do it.

If i am struggling then i have 5.50 of clubcard vouchers but i would rather save them for deals.
    Originally posted by cha97michelle
    Re: the bread thing, would the kids/OH take wraps ? They are simple to make (sure there is a recipe at the start).....they are lovely filled with egg mayo, cheese, chicken (not all at once lol) or tuna if you like that ?
    Just a thought x
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 21st Jan 11, 11:08 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Afternoon all! Did not mean to shop again this week, but realised that one of the rellies coming at the weekend is on a gluten free diet and had to rack my brains to think of a suitable pud. I have decide to do Delia's Vanilla Cream Terrine - which I have made before - as I have some leftover hm blackberry sauce in the freezer which wil go well with it. Unfortunately it meant having to buy a big pot of double cream and some Greek yogourt - so today isn't a NSD.

Have up dated my sig. Off to get lunch for me and DH (probably beans on toast) and need to catch up with all the washing I have accumulated this week. I don't understand how two people can create so much!

Have a good rest of the day folks.

Moniker
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - a NSD for me today.

Dinner tonight will be the usual for Friday, Fish, Hm chips and mushy peas. Once I've used the last of the fish tonight I'm going to explore the fish counter at MrM's for next Friday, want to try some different fish after watching Hugh's fish fight programmes on Channel 4.

Have checked the fridge and we are ok for milk, fruit bowls are full and have veg for the weekend so hoping to stay away from the shops all weekend, fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone who has been posting recipes this week, we have a great collection now. Thanks also to rosieben for collating them all for us.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 21st Jan 11, 11:49 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 48,234 Thanks
    nmlc
    Afternoon all

Just a update on the spends, have been to MrA this morning, spent rather more than I'd hoped to, but bought a few items that were on offer and that we would have needed within the next couple of weeks. DW tablets were on offer, half price, so too much of a bargain not to buy today. Bought DH some bottled beers that were on offer at 1 per bottle, and I broke a baking dish I use a lot and so managed to get a replacement - so although spent more, all good things that will be used and not wasted. Will need to be careful as this is week 3 for us, so last weekly shop is next Friday - but am going to try really hard to stay within budget, have menu planned, cupboards are pretty full and am doing some cooking/baking this afternoon/tomorrow morning.

Have a good weekend everyone, stay safe and well.
    nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • cha97michelle
    • By cha97michelle 21st Jan 11, 11:51 AM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 67,619 Thanks
    cha97michelle
    The kids would love wraps, and they eat at home anyway as DS1 does morning nursery and DS2 is only 2. DH is harder. He will eat them but they need to be very filling. I will definitely look the recipe up as we do like wraps.

Sandwich filling wise i have a lot of eggs as my mum gave me 12 she had going spare yesterday, and some bacon the MIL gave us, so i was going to do egg and bacon with mayo. I also have a huge block of cheese and the usual jam, lemon curd, marmite.

We have plenty in if i think about it. I think i will probably make a big batch of carrot and lentil soup over the weekend and do me and the kids that for lunch for a few of the days. It is only when the kids need a lot of my attention that the plan falls apart.
  • SuziQ1962
    Just done next weeks shop at L**l,and have spent 41.19,have in theory got everything I need for next week though may need to get more milk and yoghurts for packups as they didn't have any I fancied,and have a fair bit in the freezer and cupboard that can be used.
    Have succeeded in the challenge as our month runs from 26th and have a bit left over,next month will try again for 300!
    I can't believe that a bit of simple planning has got my shopping down from over 100 a week to between 50 and 60-going to see if i can do it anywhere else
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/26.00
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget 28.90/100
    January 2012 Grocery challenge 378.27/240
    14/16 NSD in January
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

2,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin