Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 94
  • goingontoolong
    Hi guys.

I am currently joining all relevant challenges in the hope that I can make the right changes, I know exactly what I need to do but never seem to actually do it lol

So I am going to join the grocery challenge. My task is to ensure that I buy enough groceries for lunches at work as well as dinners etc.

My Feb challenge actually starts tomorrow as its payday but it doesnt make a great deal of difference as its a weekly amount (averaged out over 4 weeks around payday)

Target £37.50 a week

Any underspends after the 4 weeks is up will be put in the wedding fund. Travel costs are not included but I intend to get a bus home whenever my arms will let me so that I can save on the taxi fare

Thanks guys, i cant wait to try out some recipes!

gotl x
    Wedding, CC and Loan by May2012 Target - £35 a day
    Starting 21/01/11 Total so far added to savings - £2316.15 (£82 a day)
    #1280 sealed pot - £58.57 £11k in 2011 - £981.10/£11,000
    • PurpleJay
    • By PurpleJay 20th Jan 11, 7:29 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 2,490 Thanks
    PurpleJay
    Morning all, not updated for a few days. My current grocery spend is up to £197.90 as of today. I should be on target this month fingers crossed. If it works out, I might be able to look at reducing my spend for Feb, especially as it is a short month and we have loads in the cupboards.

I had a big tesco delivery on Tuesday and they made a couple of errors but I am confident they will correct them so the figure given should be with the corrections taken into account. I had 1 missing item and the substituted one of the meal deal items which meant that the £11.74 discount due was not applied! And I told them only to sub with items included in the offer in my notes. You have to watch them but they have always corrected mistakes in the past with no problems.

I am well stocked up on wash powder and conditioner now - Surcare was on offer at Mr T's - 8 x powder @ 2 for £2.50 (£usually 2.30 ea) and 4 x conditioner @ 2 for £2 (usually £1.77). That's 11.08 saved as we use this all the time as my mum has sensitive skin and this works for her. Also using powder, you can control how much you use and I always use less than it says to save a few pennies. I reckon we have enough now for about 4 months! Most of the things I ordered were on offer and I spent £102.71 so very pleased all in all.

This week, I still have to buy bread and mums mags which I get from the newsagents tomorrow this will be about £6.00, then maybe top up milk early in the week and a shop next Fri (with bread and mags again - I order 3 or 4 loaves every Friday and freeze it to last all week as it is really nice bread - none of us are keen on sliced) and that will be it for Jan.

Hope all is well with everyone x
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • Winged one
    I've had a couple of small spends to add. Got bread, eggs, hash browns, icing sugar, fresh ravioli (for a sick child so she'd actually eat a dinner) and small cheeses in local supermarket on Tuesday evening. I got pretzel sticks (staight ones) for DD's birthday party (I'm making fairy wands with these and cutting stars from thick slices of cheese with a cookie cutter) and corned beef for DH's sambos in M&S, and 3 icing colours in the kitchen shop (for DD's cake but they'll last years and I DID get them at 20% off), for an overall spend of €32.

But it means I can now make the cookies and cake on Friday night rather than Saturday morning, have the different coloured icings (for a butterfly cake that I will decorate as fairy wings instead) ready to decorate quickly on Saturday, and not have to do a supermarket shop until Sunday (or else Friday if I take a half day - but it's not urgent to do that now).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • scotsaver
    so i am very deflated! feel like a sinking ship today! Ive had 15/19 NSD and spent £128.99 out of my budget of £155 so still got £26.01 left to last until 31st Jan, but im running out of steam i think!! may be an off day but starting to think whats the point! is it all worth it etc! hey ho! tomorrows another day i suppose!!
    Originally posted by minnie2
    minnie2 - sending you some virtual hugs.

morning all
    just updating my signature. Had £38 spend at Mr M yestderday.
    Nice tip- go supermarket shopping when you have morning sickness. you dont buy anything!!

off on me hols on Friday with my DP and little girl cannot wait. Its going to be freezing but Grrrrreat!!
    Originally posted by toddles*
    toddles* - enjoy your Holiday.

Popped to MrM's earlier, only wanted a Joint of Pork that they have on offer and I've spent over £16 as I also bought a Gammon Hock, some more ICBINB that's still on offer, some salad, veg and sandwich fillers as I have a friend coming over for Lunch tomorrow. Anyway, I've added it to my total so just under £30 to last me another 6 days so should be ok.

The Pork joint and the Hock have gone in the Freezer for next weeks meal plan.

Dinner tonight is a new recipe I've not tried before, going to attempt to make some Veg Burgers and I thought I'd serve it with cheese & Potato bake everyone's been talking about and a HM tomato salsa. A meat free night tonight which I'm hoping to make more a regular thing.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• martafdz
    So cross with myself. Stupidly bought a sandwich today for £2.30. I'd eaten everything I took into work today (cereal, 2 cup-a-soups,crisps, carrot & celery sticks, twinks hobnobs), but I was still starving. My appetite is huge after giving up smoking 2 months ago.
    Originally posted by rachelww1
    All you took with you had no protein, it was all carbohydrates, try to take with you something that includes meat. When I quit smoking I only fancied snacks and crisps lol.

I have found I am eating like there is no tomorrow at the moment I gave up smoking last week thanks to champix tablets but good god they make me hungry. Problem is I have about 2 stone to lose so it really is not helping my waistline Never mind, I will just have to get through the next couple of weeks (ment to be the hardest) then I will tackle the weight issue.
    Originally posted by kahunababy
    Try to have hot drinks when you feel peckish, most of those cravings feel like hunger but they are actually cravings for cigs. If you have a hot drink and they calm down, then it was the cig, if you still feel hungry after the drink then you know this time was hunger. I put some weight when I quit smoking but soon I learnt to control those cravings Being healthy goes first, the sooner you quit the better for you, your future and also for those around you. Good luck with that!!!

So I am going to join the grocery challenge. My task is to ensure that I buy enough groceries for lunches at work as well as dinners etc.

Target £37.50 a week
    Originally posted by goingontoolong
    Hi goingtoolong!!

That is a good target!! I am currently at £62 but I think I can do much better, so depending on how I do this month I will put it down again. I was used to have £90-£100, so I really need to re-educate myself! Lol I do include everything in the GC, both food and household, cleaning, etc. But I was spending way too much!!

Welcome and good luck!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • babyboysmommy
    • By babyboysmommy 20th Jan 11, 9:32 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    babyboysmommy
    I spent £30.47 in Mr T today so have gone over budget. I'm happy though as it was a very low one for this month so not to be unexpected. I'm also going to have spent almost £40 less on petrol this month than budgeted for so it all balances itself out. I will only need to buy milk before the month is finished.
  • adelight
    Hey all! I've had lots more NSDs since err when did i go shopping? roughly this time last week? wow, but there will be a little spend at Lidl on saturday. I wish I liked swede as they're 34p this weekened- soooo cheap!!
    Living cheap in central London
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th Jan 11, 9:47 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    morning all

made 3 weetabix cakes last night one went last last and was finished off in lunchboxes today, ones in the cake tin and ones in the freezer. made bread rool this morning just took them out of the bm and they are on top of the boiler rising.

Leeky mash, cabbage and quorn burgers for tea tonight, might get a phone call to say DS is bringing a mate home for tea --youth council meeting so they'll eat early i can do them spagbol if needed (if not he'll have it late after the meeting)

i may have to go out later and get some milk as it wont last till sat
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 20th Jan 11, 9:48 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    morning all

made 3 weetabix cakes last night one went last last and was finished off in lunchboxes today, ones in the cake tin and ones in the freezer.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    Wow...we love weetabix cake here, but had never thought about freezing it! Great idea!!
    Does it defrost ok and still produce the most delicious cake everrrrr!!??
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th Jan 11, 9:53 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    to be honest i dont think its quite as moist once its been frozen, but mine dont complain. i wrap it in foil and put it in a bag to freeze it.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 20th Jan 11, 10:03 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,084 Thanks
    Ilona
    It is worth it
    so i am very deflated! feel like a sinking ship today! Ive had 15/19 NSD and spent £128.99 out of my budget of £155 so still got £26.01 left to last until 31st Jan, but im running out of steam i think!! may be an off day but starting to think whats the point! is it all worth it etc! hey ho! tomorrows another day i suppose!!
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Oh dear, Minnie, please keep up with it, it WILL be worth it in the end. Concentrate on your long term goals, not your short term fix. Comfort spending is the same as comfort eating, you feel good as it goes down, but crap a few hours later. Keep your chin up.
    Ilona
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 20th Jan 11, 10:13 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,084 Thanks
    Ilona
    Little and often
    Forgot to report in last night I was feeling a bit tired. I had a day out, walked 8 miles.

I took a pack up with me so no spending on food. However I did spend £5.40 on the Humber Bridge toll, but that's ok, because I had saved that money at Tes&co buying the reduced stuff the day before. Money in - money out, it balances. I spent £1 in a charity shop on beads that I can use for my crafting projects.

Last night for my dinner I had the last of the three day stew, and two slices of marmite on toast. I didn't feel like any more because I had saved some of my pack up to eat at the end of the walk. I like to eat little and often, don't let myself get too hungry because that's when you slip off the wagon and stuff your face.
    Ilona
  • ebayqueen
    Morning folks
    Just quick catch up on my grocery spend £70.51 in Mr T's. Tonnes of whoopsied beef chicken pork etc. So am well stocked up. Should have cost £86.48

Major stock up yesterday on lots of items...coffee, dishwasher tabs that sort of thing. Normally when this is needed, costs me about £130-£150 so I am delighted with my self control!
    Treated me and hubby to wait for it ................. Andrex 18 rolls £6.49....sad lives we lead. Hiding it from the children in hubbies walk in wardrobe!!

Hot press (airing cupboard where hot water tank lives) contains enough Tesco Value Loo roll to do us () for a week or so! Ring childline quick!

Best friend coming for lunch today ...
    MENU
    home made chicken and veg soup(from carcass of yesterdays whoopsied roast chicken)
    Ham salad sandwiches(whoppsied deli ham...yummy)
    Coffee
    Bikkies

Happy days.

Dinner tonight for Hubbie and moi
    Home made soup
    potatoes/oven soda bread

youngest chef (15) making pasta with whoppsied ham and cheese (whoopsied of course)

Hope all well with everyone
    Need to check out this weetabix cake sounds lovely

take care and God bless all.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • cat_smith
    Yay. Mr T's at 0700 this morning (had to take husband to collect car - he found 2nd car key )

Forgot list at home, but remembered what was on it and ONLY got things that were on the list. Forgot Tom Puree, but only £14.77. Haven't bought on impulse, and the freezer is still full.

Think I'm going to come in under budget. Which will be good for my mood. Apart from NSD's and GC it's not been a great couple of weeks. Big Black Dog still here with a vengeance.

Off to update sig.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
    • elf06
    • By elf06 20th Jan 11, 10:24 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Morning all - not been about much this month so havent read any of the thread since the first week in january so sorry if i have missed anything. Just wanted to update my totals with my latest spends of £28.56 taking me to a total so far of £65.68. Not too bad but I do need to go shopping this evening for a couple of bits.
    Hope you are all well
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th Jan 11, 10:27 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    minnie2 sending you a big hug, i think you need one. praise yourself for your successes and dont knock yourself out for any slipups. you have done brilliantly with NSDs and you may have set your budget a little tight over a couple of months things can work themselves out January is always a rotten month.
    SPC~12 ot 124

• martafdz
    Ok, I think I am going to get the courage needed and attempt to do my first loaf of bread!!

Advice / help?
    I read some recipes online and I am going to attempt to do a baguette. Apparently, I need just flour, yeast, salt and wamr water. It says I should do a vulcano with the flour and yeast, add the water in the middle and mix mix mix. Let it grow for a couple of hours, mix again, let it grow for 45 min and put it in the oven for 30 min after brushing it with an egg white.... is that right? Any experience bread maker around? I do not have any breadmaker, so everything is by hand. Help!!! Lol

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • helen jelly
    Please please - we do not fail, we look at what we've done, we learn and we move on - everything we do is a "learn" for us - never ever a fail, this is a challenge - long term - we will never get it right the first, second or third time. Minnie2 - you are doing so well, you are looking at what you spend and learning about your shopping habits, it took a while to get it wrong so it will take a while to get it right, please be proud of what you have done so far, you are getting it right, right, right. Take a big breath and start again. I get it wrong nearly every month but always start again, so do lots of other people on here!! We are always here to listen and help, use us as your sounding board and keep on trying - lots of hugs, Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 20th Jan 11, 10:51 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    Ok, I think I am going to get the courage needed and attempt to do my first loaf of bread!!

Advice / help?
    I read some recipes online and I am going to attempt to do a baguette. Apparently, I need just flour, yeast, salt and wamr water. It says I should do a vulcano with the flour and yeast, add the water in the middle and mix mix mix. Let it grow for a couple of hours, mix again, let it grow for 45 min and put it in the oven for 30 min after brushing it with an egg white.... is that right? Any experience bread maker around? I do not have any breadmaker, so everything is by hand. Help!!! Lol
    Originally posted by martafdz
    have a look at the first page of this thread as MrsM has a baguette recipe on there that looks easy, that and her remoska recipe cooks ok in the oven too
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• martafdz
    Thanks!!

I will do that one next time, since I had already started the other one! Ingredients are the same but different amounts, also it is much quicker to prepare so I might give a go at the one I have before going to work and if everything is ok I might do hers this weekend with more time I just noticed that OH threw away all the bread we had!!! No idea why, I can only asume it was mouldy, but good think I was going to try to make bread today anyway! Lol

Is there anything that can be done if the bread is starting to be mouldy, btw? I know ideas for when it is getting hard or soggy but no clue on what to do with mouldy bread... just throw it away? Grrr... I wish I had noticed it was going ood before, I would have made something with it! Can you freeze bread?

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,818Posts Today

7,101Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin