Shared mortgage pay off split, options and calcs

Hi

I'm not sure which mortgage forum I should be posting this into, but I'm hoping I could seek some advice on here regarding my situation.

I share a mortgage with a couple of others with approx. £55,000 outstanding and 9 years remaining. The current interest is 2.25%.

I am also a higher rate tax payer. I was think of putting £10,000 into a savings account paying 2.30% (Atom), but I guess this isn't a great idea?

Can someone confirm with a few calculations as to the benefit of reducing mortgage?

Also, how would this work out with the other people on the mortgage, considering it's my capital and how does the savings (in other words the interest saved) be attributable to me?

Some guidance with illustrative examples would be appreciated as I'm also considering buying them out, but there are other factors to consider, such as non-paynents for a few years (close family member but trusted)!

Thanks

Comments

• No one willing to offer any advice?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Look on one of the mortgage calculators.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure