The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,273 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you have had a good day :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

We've woken to sunshine - hope it is with you too :D

BG was up with the larks :( But did actually accept a lie-in, in ma & pa's bed for a little while longer. Little people are so squirmy when they 'sleep' though, aren't they?

The nice weather will invite a chore-fest today, which is just as well, as it'll be good to get ahead, as I know it'll all snowball and overtake me again before this next 2 weeks or so is up. So at least I can say, 'I tried' :rotfl:

I've no idea what is for tea. We seem particularly low on vegetables (bit of a sad state of affairs in a veggie household! :rotfl:). H3r0n have put up the prices of their bags of frozen vegetables, so I've been putting off buying more, in the hope I would discover a 'reasonably priced' source again. Trouble is, I rarely - if ever - get the chance to 'browse' in mrAl and mrL - and even less so in iceyland and fArmf00ds, so I've really no idea who does offer the least expensive (but edible) offering anymore :( Fiddlesticks to rising prices!

BG is definitely a bit squeaky sulky this morning :( Hope it's not going to be a long day :( There is too much to do, and the weather is too nice for sulking :) Wish us luck :rotfl:

Can't think of owt else :money: to natter on about., so I best vamoose.

Ta for popping by. Greatly appreciated. As ever.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Went the day well?

Ours has been pretty spiffy :D After lunch, a big knock at the door had me opening it, expecting to be met by some earnest soul, campaigning for some party or t'other, but instead I was met with an empty doorstep........ as I stuck my head out, a young man came running back to the door, pressed a parcel from the 'big forest' company into my hand and ran off again :rotfl: I did say thank you, and he shouted, 'you're welcome' over his shoulder.......... :rotfl: A glance at the box revealed it to be for BG :D But we weren't expecting anything, so it was a mystery........

It turns out, a friend had heard BG had broken an item, and had thoughtfully made moves to replace it... (with a better, more robust model). How kind, how very, very kind. And how lucky is BG to have such people in their life, who care so much for them?

I'm actually glad that I have 'here' to record such kindnesses and good stuff that happens to BG - and Family Greying - because it allows me to express my gratitude, and serves as a reminder that there is usually good in every day - today we got it in abundance :D

In between fiddle-faddling and clothes folding, I have mostly been doing more fiddle-faddling :rotfl: Lunch was cheese & tommy sangers, using my YS'd wArburt0ns bread from HB. T'was only a small loaf (i got 2), but every penny saved helps :D

Tea this evening was a salad bowl, because I had to make summat outta bits & bobs, having used the oven chips the other night to make a meal, because we couldn't have pizza, 2 nights on the trot :o I ended up making; lemony lentils and chickpea salad, pugilese beetroot salad, marinated cherry toms, served with wild rocket, and a one egg thin omlette which was served with sliced avocado (half each) and toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Thankfully it fitted the weather conditions (luck, not judgement :o), filled a gap, and tasted nice - DH specifically said, 'thank you for that tea, it was lovely'........ *knockmeoverwithafeathersmiley* ;)

I was reading an article about foodbanks on the BBC website today (do not feel obliged to click on the link) - an interesting 5 minute read. It won't tell you anything you don't necessarily already know; but I thought the community pantries were a really good idea - far better than perfectly good food getting skipped.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

BG's improving mood as the day wore on (couple of false starts and a kicked ankle (mine :o), but that was all, so.......)

kind and generous peeps :smileyhea

food in our cupboards, on our table and in our tummies.

And yes, before you ask, BG did love their gift AND the box that it came in :D:rotfl:

Ta for popping in. Very, very much appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad to hear BGs mood has improved!

:eek: to the kicked ankle - are we at terrible twos now or troublesome threes? I've lost count dearest GP!:o
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »

:eek: to the kicked ankle - are we at terrible twos now or troublesome threes? I've lost count dearest GP!:o

....followed by the fearsome fours and the frightful fives.......doesnt get any easier just more interesting:D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Aw, what a lovely thoughtful gift from your friend GP! :j

I always marvel at the effort and creativity that goes into your dinner :D I'm actually planning a curry tonight but it'll be the first time I've cooked anything other than stir fry and omelette for weeks :o
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

rtandon27 wrote: »
    :eek: to the kicked ankle - are we at terrible twos now or troublesome threes?
    Igamogam wrote: »
    ....followed by the fearsome fours and the frightful fives.......doesnt get any easier just more interesting:D

LA LA LA - I've my fingers fixed firmly in my ears - can't hear neither of you - LA LA LA LA LA - Greying, currently on long-term vacation in De-Nile..... ;):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Aw, what a lovely thoughtful gift from your friend GP! :j

Absolutely Cheery, they are thoughtful thru & thru :D We're lucky to have them in our lives :D

End of week one of 'stuff & chaos' another week to go.

I've been keeping out of mischief (mostly). Spending relatively wisely ;) And eating from the freezer or storecupboard with supplemental 'bits'. Got some super YS'd avocados in mrS the other day - 2 for 75p (normally £1.50) lovely and big and ripe. So similar price to mrAl for 4 (I did buy 2 packs) but bigger fruit and nicely ripening. Also got a couple of nets of satsumas - normally £1, YS'd to 39p. Look like nowt, but wonderfully juicy and tasty, and as yet, no pips :j

This week I've been most grateful for;

sunshine,

pack-up snap,

friends,

an opportunity to do something 'fun' & for the heck of it :D

kindnesses

Mustache. Loads to do. Probs not going to be around much at all for the next wee while. But I'll be back.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Greying just delurking on your thread (which I love) Two of my favourite things are food and children, I have 3 adult children and 6 grandchildren. You obviously love cooking and children. You seem to have got in a rut with cooking lately, not a criticism I had a period when I gave up as kids wanted pizza and other ready food rather than home cooked meals. I was looking for a recipe today and found this site with numerous lovely veg recipes and I thought you would like it. Seems to be dormant now but some great recipes albeit most contain potatoes, which is not a bad thing in my opinion. I can see me using these recipes in correlation with Lidl or Aldi veg offers. http://www.thedailyspud.com/recipes/
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Thanks for the link Paspatur. I'm not sure lack of recipes is contributing to my cooking malaise, I rather think it is a combination of factors that have just coalesced at the same time. Which purely co-incidentally I have given much thought to this past week.

One of the factors is the town where I live is fast becoming a food desert - for people who don't have transport to the outer reaches where all the supermarkets are located. Formerly, I could walk (and have walked) miles to these outlying supermarkets. Now that I have BG, I cannot, easily do that - and with summer beginning to rev up, it will further curb our ability to venture too far in roasting hot sunshine. Our local greengrocer sometimes has fruit and veg that is within my budget. Most times, they do not. M&$ is only affordable (for me) when they YS items, but the quality of the produce is not always good for eating - despite sell by dates etc etc. I have seen 'fresh' basil covered in grey mould before now - YS'd. Even YS'd, it was not fit for consumption. The express/local/mini/little supermarkets do not routinely carry a wide range of fruit and vegetables and are priced for convenience, not for households on a budget. I do not pass most of these shops when they finally do their mark-downs, which I appreciate can sometimes be very good. Many years ago, there used to be a thriving vibrant market that sold all manner of fruit, veg, meat, game, fish etc. It now sells 'polished' veg for wannabe insta-gram-publishers and has a champagne bar...............

DH is in charge of getting provisions from the supermarket on most occasions, as it can be incorporated into travel to work journeys. My DH is a good bloke, but has not got the knack of shopping. He can only work to a list, and gets what is on the list. If I put 'cucumber' that is what I get, not the biggest, or the freshest, or the least yellow..... I get a cucumber. And as for bagged salads.........................._pale_ In his defence, and I'm sure others will agree, the 'discounters' are popular, and they also don't carry much stock. When it's gone, it is gone. Which is fair enough. But you can't rely on them to have what you wish to purchase, and whilst we are generally happy to 'go without' - it does sometimes booger up a meal plan....................... :rotfl:

This week has shown me that is is not just a phenomena in Greying Town. I have been to several places that regard themselves as 'foodie' capitals. I was met with the same scene. Why was a food hub for 'local' people empty, the fruit and veg mouldering away to unattractive limpness; whilst everyone was in the local mrT, filling their trolleys with french sticks and gin................. The prices in the local hub, whilst 'real' and possibly 'fair' (to the producer) would be way above affordable for the average wage of the area. I have seen (in both greengrocers and supermarkets) british asparagus the size of tree trunks! Why would anyone buy it? The bottom of the stem is woody and inedible - at best, only fit for stock. But why pay £2-3 for a bunch of something that you would use half of for stock? I can't afford to do that. And I am not ashamed to admit it.

BG is just being a small person with regard to food. I wish they were far more adventurous with their food choices, but they are not :( But actually, their food choices don't break the bank - they break mumma's heart that they are so BEIGE! :rotfl: but they don't break the bank.

I have actually made some nice food lately :D Using tins, jars, vac-pacs and chilled, I made a really nice salad plate, which included; lemony lentil (tinned) and chickpea (also tinned) salad, marinated cherry toms, beetroot, wild rocket (I selected the bag..... :rotfl:) and grilled halloumi. And also we had courgette and chickpea korma curry - the courgettes were 'fresh' (£1.20 for three :eek: - but proportionately cheaper than buying 'loose' :eek:), the chickpeas tinned and the korma sauce was actually a jarred Organic brand that was on sale for 69p in h3r0n - it would retail for at least double in a supermercado. This was teamed with a mixed bean masala and some basmati rice. Utilising Suffolk Lass's idea about ice cube packs from supermercados, we were able to get some cardboard box fish, and oven chips from an 'express' supermarket and get them back safely into the icebox, on a Sunday, when we'd lost track of time and were too far from our base and a regular supermarket that was closing at 4pm..... BG ate a breaded fish, some chips, but turned their nose up at (tinned) mushy peas!

Taking a pack-up lunch everyday meant that we could have treats. I found it interesting that a venue that is closely associated with a 'celebritee' food-lover (I refuse to call them a chef, as they are not), yielded HM style, tasty, interesting cakes and coffee for £5 LESS than we had paid recently at a national chain of val's cake shops, where the coffee was indifferent, and the cake appeared 'mass-produced' and not the least bit tasty. However, we also had coffee and cake at an highly independent, local, hipster, insta-gram-publishers dream cafe, which was only 60p cheaper than the celebritee food-lover's gaff, and yielded some of the driest, burntest, un-tastiest cake that I have tried to eat in a very long time. The coffee was lovely though. But as we are talking about costs that range from £12.50 - £18+, just for coffee and cake, I think that I am changing my mind about chastising myself for appearing 'mean' to take our own refreshments to places. There seems to be little value for money available. Interestingly, I did notice that several 'chains' of coffee shops were heaving with punters. Small local cafes had few, if any punters. One cafe that we always tried to visit when were were in the area (haven't been for a few years now) had ceased trading all together. When we first went there, it was a co-operative style venture, that offered opportunites for adult learners to gain employment experience.

I think what I'm saying (to myself) is that this period of time is throwing up difficulties, and new situations. I can do much more than I perhaps sometimes do. But I also need to cut myself some slack. We are sometimes exhausted, and can't do anymore than we manage. For those times, beans on toast has to suffice.

However, I have been thinking alot about food and our diet - particularly this past week, and it could do with revitalising, from an ingredients point of view. I still don't know how I go about changing my cooking activity, in a kitchen that is too small to have BG around safely when I am cooking; but if BG is not with me, they are out of sight in our house, and are now old-enough to get up to plenty of mischief in a nano-second........

Plenty to keep me occupied in problem-solving and away from retail-emporiums spending money, anyhoo :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Just chipping in to say that I think bg is quite adventurous when it comes to food. I can remember a phase when the only diary one of mine would consume was milk and butter, the only meat was sausage and burgers, had an allergy to citrus fruits and the only fish consumed was tinned tuna. We then went through a phase where I would rearrange any food for both of mine into triangles and they ate it out the grounds that the turtles loved pizza. They are both now in their mid 30s so survived. You have introduced bg to a variety of flavours. Well done
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure