"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another productive day - although I got back from Pilates to find my mum was only just up and hadn't had breakfast!

More stuff identified for CS, so it's a good thing I didn't go on my way back from Pilates. Glass taken to bottle bank as our walk today (also went to see a friend's ginger kittens...).

One bed from the kids' room destroyed (amazing how difficult it was given how flimsy it felt!) - the covering has been binned, the cardboard recycled and some of the wood will be used to burn but a lot of it has fabric stapled onto it and will take too much work to get off. Millions of staples have also been binned... Trundle & mattress are under one spare bed and the other mattress is under the other, so I still have two small singles available if necessary. Large single bed put together and the kids' room partially cleared (hence the vast amount of stuff going to the CS).

I now have excess stuff in two bedrooms, but should be able to start to put more of it away over the next few days now I know what's there. And work out what furniture will go in the kids' room now it only has one bed in it. It needs a wardrobe, but I'm not sure where it will go...
  • greenbee
    Options
    Back to work today. New boss seems not to have paid much attention to me telling him (several times both verbally and via email) that I was going to be off at the start of the week as TOIL of travel. Nor do some of my colleagues seem to bother checking OOO preferring to call/text repeatedly when they don't get answers...

Spoke to a friend last night who may (if I'm lucky!) take some furniture off my hands. Builder didn't get in touch and hasn't replied to my text message, so I assume he's not going to be here today. I'll give him a call when I'm feeling a bit more energetic. Lots of other calls to make, and I think it's time to take the car to the CS once the frost has gone as it's getting a bit full!
  • greenbee
    Options
    No builder, as predicted. I did call, but didn't leave a message. I've emailed the electrician to ask him to come round and connect the underfloor heating in the kitchen. I'll call the builder again tomorrow when I get back from my hospital appointment.

I've booked my expensive dentist appointment, but also claimed back my regular dental appointment costs from insurance (not that they'll cover the cost of the other one, but it's better than nothing!). My expenses have been paid, and I know how much surplus I have this month to put into savings.

Dropped off a car load of stuff at the CS and then heard from someone I'd been trying to get hold of about a collection for the night shelter. The fleece blankets are gone now, but I have lots of hotel/airline toiletries and will find out what else they want.

Remembered to replace one set of batteries in the security cameras, so at least one is working - must do the others tomorrow. I now also have a spare set so don't have to have a camera offline while the batteries charge. The case for my new phone also arrived - and as the phone had a tantrum about charging earlier, as soon as I knew it was on its way I started setting up the new phone. I'd forgotten how tedious it was having to log into all the apps again, but I'm getting there, and have taken the opportunity to start changing some of the passwords to more robust ones! There's no chance of me remembering them, so I'm changing them on all devices at the same time.

Freezer is getting full, as I've been making soup and cooking every day while my mum has been here. It also means I've been eating properly - although I have no clue what we'll eat tomorrow and today's exercise levels were shocking. We've also got a few small jobs done (handles on drawers and doors of new cupboards for example), and hope to get a couple more done tomorrow. It's amazing the difference the small jobs make sometimes.

Bin is out, and full for a change. Fingers crossed they take more than one of the 6 garden waste bags I've put out (I keep them all out by the gate anyway) as I have more waiting to go in them, and more gardening to do!

Oh... and I did some work!
  • greenbee
    Options
    The bin men did take all 6 bags, so I can now cut the hedge and finish the pruning and maybe even start weeding the stream!

Not a huge amount done today - had a hospital appointment for a gastroscopy first thing which took up most of the morning. Not very pleasant, but good news is no tumours or pre-cancerous issues and a very high likelihood we know what the problem is - just need to wait for the biopsy results to come back. I had it done without sedation this time, but I'm not sure how many times I'll manage it as my brain now knows what to expect. I'll see the consultant next week to confirm diagnosis and discuss treatment.

As a result I've done very little for the rest of the day (my throat is sore and I keep burping!) other than spend money (I blame redofromstart :p). To be fair, it's stuff that I needed and have been meaning to get round to ordering for months.

I'm annoyed with myself for making a mistake on an AO order, so have had to cancel and am waiting for the cancellation to be confirmed before I can resubmit the order. Hopefully the price will be the same... if not I may wait for a while.

I've also had time to think about the utility room, and given the constant delays, I'm probably going to order a ready-made cupboard and shelves rather than getting them built in. I really do need to choose paint colours... I may end up just getting the builder to paint everything white and get a decorator in at a later date.

I've spend the afternoon in bed (after a short walk) but not managed to sleep. I'll have to get up now as my mother is clearly so absorbed by either her book or the newspaper in the VERY warm sitting room (coal is doing a very good job) that she hasn't noticed that it's dark and the curtains need drawing.

I also have a horrible feeling there are mice under the floorboards, so need to get the poison out tomorrow and chuck some in the attic. Not sure I'm up to traps - particularly as although I can hear scratching noises, I haven't seen any signs of them.
  • greenbee
    Options
    Have had a lazy day today - took my mum to the station (dropping in at an upmarket kitchen showroom on the way to have a look and pick up a brochure). Then came home filled up the coal scuttle and kindling and wrote a list.

Turkey crown in the SC all afternoon has given me what should be 8 portions of meat and a litre of stock. Carcass will stay in overnight so hopefully a couple more litres of stock.

Two loads of laundry done.

Not much else. Am starting to feel a bit less sore, so hoping to sleep better tonight and have the energy tomorrow to get some more niggly bits off my list - I need to be ready for the new fridge freezer which is arriving next Saturday, and that means I have to clear space in the garage for the stuff that needs to come out of the house!
  • greenbee
    Options
    I had an unexpected delivery this morning (I was expecting 3 parcels tomorrow but number 3 of 3 turned up at 9.30 today) so rather than lying around in bed was up at a sensible time.

As I was up I decided to get on with my list - one lot of sheets on the line (they didn't get very dry, but are dry enough to iron later when it's dark), ash cleared from stove and stove going again.

Then made a start on the garage - and decided to move (and put legs on) a full-height Ikea unit that used to be in the utility room. It took a lot of effort and some bad language, but is now neatly slotted in next to the boiler and I have put stuff away in it. I've thrown out quite a few odds and ends but am mostly tidying. I've also identified more CS stuff which I'll stick in the boot of the car later.

Part of me thinks I should be doing some gardening as it isn't raining, but I can do that in short bursts whereas this takes longer.

I've also decanted the stock and added more water for a second batch (which will be enough), found the mouse poison and taken up the mole traps... turns out I had caught a mole, probably several weeks ago _pale_ - I put the traps out before my last trip started about 6 weeks ago :o

Have eaten leftover soup - chest pain has gone now and throat is a lot less sore, so overall I'm feeling much better.

Best get back to the garage! Hopefully the section I use for storing garden furniture will be clear by the time it gets dark (I'll need to put some 'indoor' furniture in there for a bit until the builders have been...

So on Monday I need to nag the builders, and also be nice to my brother and ask him to come over with the van and trailer and take me to the tip...
  • greenbee
    Options
    Car boot is looking full... Garage is looking fairly tidy.

I put all the lightweight folding garden furniture up in the roof as there was room to move the step ladder. There's a nice big empty space on the floor, so a washstand from one of the bedrooms has come down and is now out of the way. I've also hung up the windchimes that have been in their box for well over a year - I expect I'll have to take them down soon, but it's nice to know they're finally up!

Frozen soup and turkey portions have been moved to the outside freezer and the last lot of turkey stock has been removed from the SC and is cooling down. I have now have plenty of soup and stock and cooked meat for the next few weeks.

Tools currently indoors have been rounded up and put into a nice wooden box that originally held a magnum of red wine. Both indoor coal scuttles are full, and the outside one too. I've added some more bark to the wire cage where it is drying out, but think I'll need to bring that into the garage soon. Once dry it can go into an old plastic dustbin - it's nice to burn in the autumn/spring when you just want a bit of flame and not that much heat.

I'm now avoiding the ironing... which is silly as it won't actually take that long! And need to spend a bit of time pottering around upstairs to see whether I can get the kids' room clear enough to be cleaned properly on TUesday (which will mean cluttering up one of the other bedrooms for a bit). I also need to empty the dresser base in the kitchen into one or other of the new dining room units so I can shift it to make room for the new F/F which arrives on Saturday. It really does feel like I'm constantly moving stuff at the moment...
  • greenbee
    Options
    Have made a start on emptying the dresser... and have done the ironing. I'm just waiting for the WM to finish so I can hang one lot up and then stick some on to come on so it's done when I get up.

Also need to empty the DW before bedtime...
  • greenbee
    Options
    Still making slow progress... laundry, washing up etc... making soup from the veg, last bits of meat from the turkey bones and dregs of stock at the bottom of the pan (plus some ancient soup mix that needs using up).

Put a few more bits in the garage, a few more in the CS box and a few more away. I'm also emptying the dresser base in the kitchen, as the new fridge/freezer will need to go there when it arrives.

Electrician has been located and is coming on Wednesday to sort out the underfloor heating. Apparently he can't get hold of the builder either, so I'll have a chat with him about who else he can suggest to deal with some of the more urgent items (like getting the utility door rehung...).

I'm also contemplating ordering a skip to get rid of the greenhouse as I don't see any other option at the moment.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Wow, you are doing loads.
    Turkey bones make great soup don't they?
    I hope you find a builder for the door to be rehung.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family