Child maintenance

Jet
Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
OK, this post is a bit risky. I don't think many will like it.

I am a single parent who doesn't get a penny in maintenance. My ex husband doesn't work and if he does, it will be "cash in hand". There is absolutely no point in trying to get money out of him. So let's not go there.

I am sick and tired of meeting other single parents who seem to get hundreds of pounds every month from their ex and get to keep every single penny of it because they work 16 hours per week.

I, on the other hand, have to work more hours than them but get penalised because everytime i earn more money, the next year my tax credits decrease. So, I'm on a never ending spiral of having to increase my hours to earn more, so that my income stays the same.

It seems so unfair that my son has to be in childcare all the time just so I can pay the mortgage and the bills, and be able to afford second hand or cheap clothes. While I watch other single parents work half the hours I do and have foreign holidays, new clothes and expensive days out.

Why aren't any allowances made for single parents who receive no maintenance? Why can't I be allowed to earn a bit more without having my tax credits reduced so much the next year.

I budget my money really well and am proud that I'm not in debt and do it all alone but it must be so nice to not have to watch every penny and just relax about it all sometimes.

Ok, rant over.

Comments

• Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    I think it is sad your in this position, but the problem is both nrp and pwc abuse the CSA system, and it sucks. Fingers crossed with the reforms it will get better for everyone.
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Lady_S wrote:
    I think it is sad your in this position, but the problem is both nrp and pwc abuse the CSA system, and it sucks. Fingers crossed with the reforms it will get better for everyone.

I expect the only reforms they will make will mean that if the nrp is employed, the pwc will get the maintenance. Other than that, I don't see how they are going to help people in my position.

Unless, they give every pwc a nominal amount regardless of whether nrp pays or not. But I don't think that's going to happen unfortunately.

Or they force nrp into "on the books" paid employment (at which point they will all claim they are sick).
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jet- I have never understood why maintainance is not taken into account when working out tax credits.
  • Lady_S
    I don't think it is taken into account as it is not seen as a guaranteed form of income, the same as you cannot take it into account with a normal morgage application, only if you self certify.
  • Lady_S
    Oh, one thing that does come to mind is that the CSA or whoever it is in the future need to take into account the income of the pwc. I know of a case where the pwc is a very high earner, and her partner is still having to pay out shed loads, when he is on a very low income. Doesn't seem fair that it puts him under the poverty line when the money he gives in maintenance means very little to his ex partner.

We all know that in relationships we have different earning potentials and when you have kids both incomes need to be taken into acount, not just the one of the nrp.
  • furby-2003
    furby-2003 Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    i know someone who gets nearly £500 per month thats nearly my entire wage. it shocked me how much they get including thier wages. while my partner and i (hes a student) stuggle on!! so i know what you mean
    Converted comper to MSE. Thank you for all your answers!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    My ex never paid much if any maintenance,( most he paid was £60 per month for 2) it was a challange for him to get out of it. I went back to work to pay the mortgage and bills and I just about had enough to get by some weeks. There were no tax credits then and I know I was worse off financially than I would have been on benefits in the early years. As the children got older I was able to progress in my career and I sometimes think if it wasn't for his irresposible attitude I might not have been so driven to show him I didn't need him or his paltry contribution to the family finances.

My motto was always the best revenge is to live well...good luck to the OP your child will realise that you have been there for him and provided for him.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Im a lone parent and recently attended one of those back to work interviews where they calculate how much better off you would be in working, the woman made a big deal of me receiving all of the maintenance from my ex (£52) if I went back to work :o

Maintenance isnt guaranteed and shouldnt be relied upon and I know fullwell, because I have just lost my £10 per week premium cause it looks like the ex has changed jobs, so if I had started work I would have lost the maintenance and been in dire straits :rolleyes:
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Two people on a £30k income each, nrp pays c17% of his income over to pwc. nrp then has a net income of 24k to support his family but receives tax credits as if he is on 30k. pwc has an income equivelant to £38k before tax, but recieves tax credit as if she is on £30k. nrp supports herself and two children, nrp supports himself, partner and two resident children plus two non resident children on a part time basis. Guess which one whinges about having no money and being hard done by? Figures are just an example, but reflect the reality of being a responsible nrp who does pay maintenance.
    CSA also takes a cut of any child or working tax credit received by nrp!

I dont understand why the system cant work based on what you actually had in income (salary and maintenance received or paid) last year.

Jet, my heart goes out to you. You should be proud of what you have achieved.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i sympathise with u jet... i was in exactly the same position its a catch 22 whether to work more and get less WTC or continue as u are and keep yr WTC steady

my ex pays nothing inchild maintenance never has .. yet pays a mortage (aaprox 110K) ,runs a car and van (and is just buying a new one) but is also self employed and according to CSA earns less then £100 a week... wish i knew how he did all that on £100... they say he should pay £5 but as hes self employed i dont get that even

i despair really and very much doubt the 'changes' in the csa will make it any better...i have now remarried so am finding things easier with my new hub who pays more for my child then his real father does

i wish u lots of luck and good on u for not just giving up and claiming benefits
    xx
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills