Average Electricity Costs Poll

Comments

• roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Hi *Louise*

Have you checked what temprature your hot water is on it shouldnt need to be on more than 50 and also see if the heating is set to auto if so turn it off when your not using the heating (obviousely not in freezing conditions but most of summer will do.)

Just an idea, gas fires eat gas if thats , makes sence
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • iyiarz
    iyiarz Posts: 257 Forumite
    I'm going to get one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&TabID=1&C=SEO&U=SEOsearchPages&doy=search

Then I can test some of my appliances to see whats chewing the electric.
  • iyiarz
    iyiarz Posts: 257 Forumite
    Thanks, thats a fair bit cheaper!
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    roswell wrote:
    Hi *Louise*

Have you checked what temprature your hot water is on it shouldnt need to be on more than 50 and also see if the heating is set to auto if so turn it off when your not using the heating (obviousely not in freezing conditions but most of summer will do.)

Just an idea, gas fires eat gas if thats , makes sence

Thanks

I think the water is at around 50, the room temp is at about 19C (cant turn it any lower really, as I have a baby in the house)

No gas fire - just radiators.

I reckon we just have to fiddle with dials a bit till we get used to it - going to have to, cant afford £130 p/m for gas and leccy! :eek:

And I have changed from British Gas...so thats a start! :j
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • rubix_76
    rubix_76 Posts: 216 Forumite
    I lived in a flat with some friends, and shortly after I left (It wasn't my fault honest :A ) they had some problems with their economy 7.

Everything in the flat was Elec, and to cut a long story short the timer that switched to the lower rate to heat their night storage heaters wasn't working so they were being charged FULL-WACK for their elec, the guy KEPT calling their provider and it took them ages to sort it out and get some money back.

Also another thought, you haven't got a nasty neighbour tha has a 4 way extension lead plugged into your shed with a 3kW heater running 24/7 (just a thought :o

I'm in the process of switching and I have found we use hardly any elec (almost half of the pole voted for on here 2400kWh per year approx) and we have an electric fan oven too, but we make up for it by using 18780 kWh gas (buit that is still low)

Sorry if I have depressed anyone, but I am happy that I am about to save £280pa :T :T :T :T :T :T

Rubix
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    winter/summer usually not much difference I think probably due to a lot of my bills been estimated so it doesnt work out actual usage every single bill.

I have noticed each bill is higher cost per kilowhatt and as such usually increases, I am averaging around £25 per month at current for a bedsit.
  • I'm certain i'm being ripped off by powergen. I live in a bedsit all electric, low engergy light bulbs and the rest.economy 7.:confused: My last bill for march til june was £127.29. Is that normal averaging at £43.00 a month? that's a rise (yes I actually worked it out ) of 119.23 from last year. surly I'm not using that much electric, i'm almost never here. Begining to think i'm running the train station next door!!
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Less than £15 summer £20 winter. Our ratio is skewed becaue we use an electric oven and use our conservatory wellbeyond the summer season and that is not on the CH circuit.
  • azka
    azka Posts: 40 Forumite
    I live in a 4 bedroom house 3 kids 2 adults. my average monthly electricity bill is about £18 and gas is £27.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure