Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 41
    • Guardsman01
    • By Guardsman01 30th Dec 12, 10:14 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Guardsman01
    Yes. Some of us go on paying the £6.99 per month to Experian almost automatically without thinking about it so it takes something like the email from them informing us of a 43% rise to galvanise us into action by cancelling the service! I think it may prove to be a poor move by them in poking the sleeping tiger, as it were. The aspect of the email which really grated was the suggestion that I had been singled out for a special deal. "Shhh. It's not available to our new customers," they told me! Lucky me! I get to pay more for services I don't need!

Many thanks for everyone's responses. I'll cancel my Experian membership tomorrow, open up a nobble account and supplement this with occasional purchases of the statutory report at £2 a time.
    • sfax
    • By sfax 30th Dec 12, 10:24 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    sfax
    Yes. Some of us go on paying the £6.99 per month to Experian almost automatically without thinking about it so it takes something like the email from them informing us of a 43% rise to galvanise us into action by cancelling the service! I think it may prove to be a poor move by them in poking the sleeping tiger, as it were. The aspect of the email which really grated was the suggestion that I had been singled out for a special deal. "Shhh. It's not available to our new customers," they told me! Lucky me! I get to pay more for services I don't need!

Many thanks for everyone's responses. I'll cancel my Experian membership tomorrow, open up a nobble account and supplement this with occasional purchases of the statutory report at £2 a time.
    Originally posted by Guardsman01
    Definitely the way forward. Experian will lose a lot of customers IMO. Just reminding people that they are still paying a subscription is sometimes not wise

But use Noddle not nobble!
  • MikeL28
    on 21/12/12 CreditExpert (Experian) announced that their monthly charge was increasing to £9.99. When I phoned to discontinue they offered me their alternative 'Lite' service for £1.99 which will do all I want. Worth checking. On the other hand, I've just signed up for Noddle and will probably discontinue even the £1.99 pm Experian service. Thank you to Guardsman01 and sfax!
    Last edited by MikeL28; 02-01-2013 at 5:58 PM.
  • Howdiditgethisbad
    Have just used Noodle today (thank you for the heads up) and not sure it contains as much information as for example Experian, which includes my phone contract whereas Noodle doesn't.

Can anyone with more experience comment, only joined this site today?

Thanks
    LBM May 2012 Debt £29,500 - Jan 2013 - £18,674
    Pay off as much as you can in 2013 £523/£9000
    Jan 2013 - No more buying lunches, or hot water!!!!
    • Hazzinho
    • By Hazzinho 2nd Jan 13, 10:26 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Hazzinho
    Different CRA's can hold different data, if you look at your Equifax file that may differ too.
    • UsetheFORCE
    • By UsetheFORCE 2nd Jan 13, 10:32 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    UsetheFORCE
    on 21/12/12 CreditExpert (Experian) announced that their monthly charge was increasing to £9.99. When I phoned to discontinue they offered me their alternative 'Lite' service for £1.99 which will do all I want. Worth checking. On the other hand, I've just signed up for Noddle and will probably discontinue even the £1.99 pm Experian service. Thank you to Guardsman01 and sfax!
    Originally posted by MikeL28
    I did the £1.99 service for a couple of months although quite frankly I might as well get a £2 statutory report through the post every few months.

I also have Noddle plus Equifax which is £3.49 a month.
  • CBradders
    Have just used Noodle today (thank you for the heads up) and not sure it contains as much information as for example Experian, which includes my phone contract whereas Noodle doesn't.

Can anyone with more experience comment, only joined this site today?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Howdiditgethisbad
    Make sure you view your report with each agency, there are three in total, Callcredit (Noddle), Experian and Equifax as the data may differ.

Also make sure you enter any previous addresses you lived at within the last six years and any previous names you may have been known as data may be held under a previous address or name.

Hope this helps!
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.......
  • biggy123
    I need to sort my credit out desperately!!

I applied to see my credit report from Experian. The application I thought went through clean, but then they said they need me to prove who I am! I have sent them the documents they asked for, so I guess I'll have to wait and see!

Is there any reason other than the fact I've moved house a lot over the last few years for this to happen?
  • Gabriela121
    hiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!
    I paid a hospital expense truly late around a year in the past that I basically was not setting off to pay yet my guardians influenced me elsewise. Moreover I inched toward getting suspended from school for the semester around a year back also and after I got the majority of my cash back (it was just a couple weeks into the semester) and moved back home, around a couple months later I got a letter via the post office stating that I owed them $300 for terminating my on-grounds lodging understanding early. I basically disregarded the letter and got an additional one a little while later then after that a couple months after that, I got a letter from some liability accumulation office in North Carolina. I still haven't paid it and its been well-nigh a year, the letter from the accumulation firm was back in like July of last year and I haven't gotten notification from either them or the school because. Will this influence my credit record? How do I check my report to see if whoever has any cases opposite me? In addition in what capacity would I be able to figure out who all has seen my report?
    Credit Card Promotion
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 19th Jan 13, 3:35 PM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    I paid a hospital expense truly late around a year in the past that I basically was not setting off to pay yet my guardians influenced me elsewise. Moreover I inched toward getting suspended from school for the semester around a year back also and after I got the majority of my cash back (it was just a couple weeks into the semester) and moved back home, around a couple months later I got a letter via the post office stating that I owed them $300 for terminating my on-grounds lodging understanding early. I basically disregarded the letter and got an additional one a little while later then after that a couple months after that, I got a letter from some liability accumulation office in North Carolina. I still haven't paid it and its been well-nigh a year, the letter from the accumulation firm was back in like July of last year and I haven't gotten notification from either them or the school because. Will this influence my credit record? How do I check my report to see if whoever has any cases opposite me? In addition in what capacity would I be able to figure out who all has seen my report?
    Credit Card Promotion
    Originally posted by Gabriela121
    I assume that you are habitually resident in the USA and have all your banking/finance agreements in the USA too?

If so, the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires that U.S. consumers be entitled to a free credit report each year. The government’s goal is to make sure that consumers stay informed, fight identity theft, and get fair treatment.

The nation’s credit reporting agencies have teamed up and built a website that you should use to get your free credit report. The site is www.annualcreditreport.com. Once there, you'll answer a series of questions, and you can choose which reports to view. You can also call them at 877-322-8228 and request a copy of your credit reports.

The only way to get your annual free credit report is by using the organisation above. If you go any other route, you may have to pay or subscribe to a private service.

All the information that you are seeking will be held within the reports. You should request a free copy of reports from all three USA CRAs. They are Experian, Equifax and TransUnion
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 19-01-2013 at 3:57 PM.
  • jon jon sat nav
    hi
    if you ring them one of the options on the recorded message is "if you are thinking of leaving us" press --
    you will need your reference number from the top r h s of the report page. hope this helps .
  • redmen2005
    Worried about joining experian
    I need some advice back in 2008 i had major defaults from a few credit cards as I lost my Job. I then moved & was a member of experian monthly subscription which i cancelled. But I'm worried about joining again in case they link both address. I'm with Equifax now & they havent linked previous address.
    I know I dont have to list my previous address anyomore as its been more than 3 years, but can they still find me from name dob etc?
    Any advice?
    • sfax
    • By sfax 12th Feb 13, 5:24 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    sfax
    I need some advice back in 2008 i had major defaults from a few credit cards as I lost my Job. I then moved & was a member of experian monthly subscription which i cancelled. But I'm worried about joining again in case they link both address. I'm with Equifax now & they havent linked previous address.
    I know I dont have to list my previous address anyomore as its been more than 3 years, but can they still find me from name dob etc?
    Any advice?
    Originally posted by redmen2005
    Just get your £2 stat report from them. Paying for an Experian subscription is insane

And yes, they will link you so you won't get a free trial if that's what you are angling for.

Re. default data, that stays on there for 6 years
  • devildato
    card
    Maybe it's because it's a Solo card. Which is quite ironic if you think about it - I can't find out why I can't get a credit card, because I don't have a credit card.
    Originally posted by richiethekid
    same for me
  • redmen2005
    Hi there
    I am more worried about experian linking my previous address with the defaults that would then take my credit rating down
    • sfax
    • By sfax 12th Feb 13, 7:48 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    sfax
    Hi there
    I am more worried about experian linking my previous address with the defaults that would then take my credit rating down
    They'll link the addresses anyway as lenders report your address so they'll have records of your name, date of birth and credit agreements at various addresses over time. Getting your report from them won't have any impact on this process. I think with defaults you just have to ride them out for 6 years until they drop off
  • redmen2005
    Hi Sfax
    because I didn't move any existing cards or accounts I haven't been chased by them at the new place.
    • sfax
    • By sfax 13th Feb 13, 2:28 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    sfax
    Hi Sfax
    because I didn't move any existing cards or accounts I haven't been chased by them at the new place.
    I would get your £2 stat report from Experian and also your free report from Noddle (CallCredit) and look for these defaults. If they aren't showing on these 2 or Experian, you can probably assume tha they won't be seen (providing you avoid using the lenders in question)
  • redmen2005
    thank you for quick reply
    I checked both eq & cc all ok. I had a barclaycard back in 2001 defaulted under different address, will they still hold record? if I apply now?
    • sfax
    • By sfax 14th Feb 13, 5:01 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    sfax
    thank you for quick reply
    I checked both eq & cc all ok. I had a barclaycard back in 2001 defaulted under different address, will they still hold record? if I apply now?
    Personally I would avoid all lenders where you have defaulted, at least to begin with. I'm not sure how long they can keep their own account records but they could keep a defaulted marker internally for certain customers.

Plenty of other lenders to choose from
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,539Users online

Martin's Twitter