Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Hi all, I submitted a switch request to E.on on 31st October however it's been nearly four weeks and have had no update on progress. Just rang E.on and there's no record of the address. Now, the switch FAQ says no need to worry, the switch process can take a while. However, the question is how long should I wait (without hearing anything) before I start to get worried and chase up?
    School is important, but Rugby is importanter.
  • Hi Helena/Malc

My current BG contract ends on 30th November. Can you tell me "if i start the switch to E-On" will this be done today therefore incurring me early exit fees from BG or does contract end on when it physically happens rather than the initial request. I hope that makes sense?

thanks
  • Morning refereetotwoboys

Changing supplier usually takes between 4 to 6 weeks.

I can't speak for BG, but we wouldn't consider the change complete until the transfer actually goes through. Therefore, your existing contract will be well over by this time.

I'd ask BG to confirm though. Just to be on the safe side.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • rokel
    rokel Posts: 52 Forumite
    our fixed rate with Scottish Power ends on 31st Dec this year so looking around for a deal better than the one they offer us to continue with them. Eon Age Uk seems a good option for us (saw only one disgruntled customer on the website). Being pensioners we can't afford mistakes with things like DD - need to know what we are paying each month to budget. we prefer to stay with a set amount and add extra money throughout the year to keep things on an even keel - would that be something that Eon would allow? and if we move when should we start to negotiate a change so that it ties in with leaving Scottish Power at midnight on 31st Dec? answers from an Eon Rep would abe appreciated. (or anyone else who has managed to get this arrangement agreed of course). thanks.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi rokel

Our Monthly Direct Debits are set over a 12 month period. The aim is to have as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review.

To monitor this, we'll review the account every quarter. If we feel the monthly amount needs to change, we'll only do this at the 6 month and 12 month points. On the other occasions, we'll let you know our recommendation but leave it up to you to either make the change or leave it as it is.

Reviews are based on current prices and previous usage. Any debit balance will be included and spread over the number of months until the annual review.

We'll let you know before any changes are made.

At the annual review, any credit balance over a fiver will automatically be refunded to your bank.

To help you keep on top of your payments, we've a new facility on our website called the Direct Debit Manager. This allows you to change the monthly payments by up to 20 per cent, up or down, provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings. Up to 5 per cent up or down without readings.

This is to give customers greater control over their accounts so that changes of circumstances can be better reflected in their payments.

Before completing the change, though, the website will show how much the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if the change is confirmed but usage doesn't alter accordingly.

You can certainly make extra payments at any time. Once the payment has cleared (usually in about 24 hours) the Direct Debit Manager will recalculate the monthly payments. You'll just need to log in to your account and accept them.

It usually takes between 4 to 6 weeks to change supplier. So, probably best to time a switch with this in mind.

Hope this is useful rokel. Give me a shout if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • rokel
    thanks Malc for that reply - with our present Scottish Power contract which ends on 31st Dec we are not liable for a 'leaving' fee so can leave at any time. However if the arrangement with Eon doesn't start until after 31st Dec, at that point we would, apparently, be put on Scottish Power's variable rate and don't know then whether we would be liable for a fee as it might be considered a new contract. I have to find that out. Is there any way of ensuring that a contract with Eon would actually start before 31st - a faster change-over?
  • You'll be rolled onto their standard variable tariff so you're free to switch whenever you like.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rokel wrote: »
    Is there any way of ensuring that a contract with Eon would actually start before 31st - a faster change-over?

Hi rokel

Changing supplier involves a number of different processes and organisations. These include meter readers, electricity distributors, gas transporters and meter operators. It also involves the national databases that hold details of all the energy supplies at UK properties.

Information and meter details need to be passed between these organisations. This is to make sure we take over the correct supplies and bill to the right meters.

There's a 14 day cooling off period, too. This starts on the day a quote to switch is accepted. It's to give customers the opportunity to change their minds.

All this, I'm afraid, means switches can take up to 6 weeks to go through.

I suspect, therefore, a switch started today won't go through until around the middle to end of January.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic rokel.

Malc
  • rokel
    Oh thanks Beardiedog - that answers my question - have asked Scottish Power but they say could take up to 5 days to receive a reply, much quicker to come to MSE - thanks again. Will get cracking on our Eon application.
  • Hi. I'm considering switching from BG to E.ON, possibly to one of the fixed tariffs, but I have a few questions I would love an E.ON rep to answer first. 1. Why does the 'fixed with rewards' tariff have an online management option but the 'fixed with clubcard points' one doesn't? 2. How often do you need meter readings and how often do you produce a bill? 3. With online management, am I in control of my Direct Debit amount or are you? Can I vary the payments if I need to? Can I take a payment holiday for example?

As you can probably tell, online management is important to me. I love BG's online service. It's really flexible and user friendly and if I'm going to switch I'd be looking for more of the same!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback