Solar panel maintenance

2»

Comments

• markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Do we have any proof its really Enphase And Eco Partners, And not just scammers using the names to convince people to hand over cash?
  • It's the same story as above: microinverters will stop working if not updated via EnvoyR, which is now superseded. I have a "quotation" for the three options if we need it later. I told Carl Mowbray of ECO Partners that it sounded like a scam and that I wouldn't be agreeing to anything until I had researched other people's experiences. What I am concerned about is whether they now have enough information to access and control my system without my permission. Any ideas/suggestions?
  • We also had Carl Mowbray of Eco Partners trying his best to convince us that our micro inverters will fail if the software is not updated. He also tried to tell us that the panels were not functioning as they should be. Yet we have been monitoring the whole system since it was installed and we still get as much energy produced on cloudless days now as we did in 2014.

I have yet to find any online confirmation that Enphase inverters will shut themselves down if they can't export their performance data. If this is a real fault, then Enphase have a serious flaw in their design and one would expect to see some internet traffic on the subject.

The whole "sign here and now or the price will go up and the sky will fall in, and no, you can't have time to think about it because I won't be back in these parts for months" was out of the classic playbook of pressure sales.

If you are worried about people accessing the system remotely, it is possible to change the administration password. All you need is some basic skills in accessing network devices that use common login details (or a teenager). (not sure about giving a detailed description on a public forum).
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unless your router is set up to forward ports to your inverter, then people cant log into it remotely. Mine doesn't support IPv6, so once that migration happens it's going to be really hard to contact ;P...

As for them having information on you, they are able to pull quite a bit of information from the registration documents that are published. It's neat actually, I had mine installed before all the restrictions came in place for things like home energy efficiency. I know a home that has solar panels and according to the registration you can tell that the installers lied about the home, wooden frame single pane glass from the 1970's, no cavity wall insulation, yet it was approved.

Anyhow... If it's not broken, don't try to fix it! I do worry a little that finding someone to do work might be a lottery. I had a difficult time finding a installer to do work when I had mine put in. I just tried to get a quote for ASHP/GSHP but you would be surprised at how little the installers really want jobs. Councils and Housing Groups seem to be where the big money is, so it's hard to get anyone to do the work. (I phoned every MCS installer within 20 miles - 2 said they would love to do the job, neither ever phoned back to come out for a quote).
  • Just found this thread after a 1.5 hour sales visit from 'solar engineer' Carl from Eco-partners.
    We nearly fell for it. Two of our panels aren't performing as well as they could and we have been wondering what to do..... then came a call from a woman claiming that Enphase have given the work of updating the software on their systems to Eco-partners and that they are going around the country visiting everyone with panels from companies no longer trading. It sounded like a good thing so I agreed to a visit.
    Carl was friendly as are all salesmen and sat down with us to 'explain' our situation.
    He told us the story about the inverted going off of they don't download their data. He also told us some absolute rubbish that because our Envoy device was in dining room and not next to the meter interference from washing machine could affect the readings. Then came the hard sell £1375 for 10 years service, a 20 year option and one with a battery. Carl assured us Eco-partners would stay in business as Enphase is a world leading solar supplier; an odd sort of logic. We weren't sure what to do and initially signed up (as well aware of the 14 day cool off period).
    Further research and thinking and we cancelled the next day.
    Companies House data shows Eco partners to have been trading since 2012 but theh were dormant until 2016. Hardly the sort of company to pass £1375 to upfront. I did ask Carl why it couldn't be an annual contract but he admitted they needed to get the money in.
    As for the Envoy unit; Carl reckoned they cost over £800 and they would fit is a new one next to our meter (LOL)! We found on online for just over £200.
    Even if the Enviy stops working the electricity is still being exported to the grid and the payments will continue.

Carl tried to impress us by logging into our Envoy and telling us the times our panels went off! We can do that anytime ourselves.

All in all better to put the £1375 in a savings account and if something really goes wrong with your panels you will find a local company to sort it out.

The two panels on our array that are poorly performing are losing us about £60 a year in fit payments. Certainly not worth giving a company that may not even be trading anymore in a few years time £1375 to fix them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure