Hermes international parcel

Hi all.

I have a friend in florida and we send each other parcels now and then.
I've sent him a parcel with hermes international, it tracked throughout the UK, with the last tracking message on the 30th of May saying it had been handed over to the landmark depot.... Since then nothing.
I emailed hermes about this and they replied saying they only deal with the parcel within the UK.

Fair enough, but when looking through there website I can't see anywhere that says tracking stops once out of the UK.
While this parcel doesn't Contain a high value monetary item per se it does contain a hand made cross stitch pattern which took a good while for my other to complete for my friend to give his wife on her birthday.
So basically I don't know whether my package is en route to florida or timbuktu!
My other half said she was going to complain due to the fact it doesn't mention that tracking stops once outside of the UK.
However on trying to email them it won't let her send the email.
Does anyone know of any email address to contact hermes to raise a complaint.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ZZaffy
    ZZaffy Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try Hermes International live chat. I took days trying to use it, turns out the site doesn't like some search engines. Hermes UK won't help at all. I kept telling them International chat won't accept my HRM number then one day a member of staff casually mentioned maybe it's your search engine. Why don't Hermes say this on their website G only knows? I can tell you now, that chat works with Internet Explorer.

My story is, I sent a parcel to a private address in Sweden. The addressee did not receive it. Finally got through to International live chat. Turns out parcels do not go to the address but to a collection point and the addressee has to collect it. Because I and the addressee did not know this, the parcel sat in the collection point and then was returned to me. The postage cost £14.00. I tried to get a refund, due to the fact that the parcel was not delivered to the address on the parcel. The chat line said they would refund my money. I waited a week and contacted them again and asked where my refund was and they said my case had been declined. No one bothered to contact me to say it had. My argument was they did not send it to the address and they did not use the addressee's phone number on the label. One call and the addressee would have picked it up. I asked what was the point of their insistence of a phone number if they did not use it? They said the collection point is not duty bound to contact anyone. So parcel went all the way to Sweden and back again and I lost £14 postage. Hermes International said it was all my fault because it is written in the terms and conditions. Terms and conditions has a box that you have to tick to say you have read them. Who reads T&C? They said it was my duty to read the T&C and then inform the addressee to track the parcel to a collection point somewhere in Sweden. So after this episode and two smashed parcels with records in them, I am changing to a different courier. Recommendations anyone?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2019 at 8:25AM
    ZZaffy wrote: »
    Try Hermes International live chat. I took days trying to use it, turns out the site doesn't like some search engines. Hermes UK won't help at all. I kept telling them International chat won't accept my HRM number then one day a member of staff casually mentioned maybe it's your search engine. Why don't Hermes say this on their website G only knows? I can tell you now, that chat works with Internet Explorer.

My story is, I sent a parcel to a private address in Sweden. The addressee did not receive it. Finally got through to International live chat. Turns out parcels do not go to the address but to a collection point and the addressee has to collect it. Because I and the addressee did not know this, the parcel sat in the collection point and then was returned to me. The postage cost £14.00. I tried to get a refund, due to the fact that the parcel was not delivered to the address on the parcel. The chat line said they would refund my money. I waited a week and contacted them again and asked where my refund was and they said my case had been declined. No one bothered to contact me to say it had. My argument was they did not send it to the address and they did not use the addressee's phone number on the label. One call and the addressee would have picked it up. I asked what was the point of their insistence of a phone number if they did not use it? They said the collection point is not duty bound to contact anyone. So parcel went all the way to Sweden and back again and I lost £14 postage. Hermes International said it was all my fault because it is written in the terms and conditions. Terms and conditions has a box that you have to tick to say you have read them. Who reads T&C? They said it was my duty to read the T&C and then inform the addressee to track the parcel to a collection point somewhere in Sweden. So after this episode and two smashed parcels with records in them, I am changing to a different courier. Recommendations anyone?

Who reads t & cs? People who want their money back .
    I love Hermes but their communication methods are hard to navigate at times. You get what you pay for.
    The usual advice from companies is to check your local depot to see if there’s a parcel there. Did they not offer this advice
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I kept telling them International chat won't accept my HRM number then one day a member of staff casually mentioned maybe it's your search engine. Why don't Hermes say this on their website G only knows? I can tell you now, that chat works with Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer is not a search engine. Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo are search engines ... IE is a web browser, as is Chrome, Opera, Firefox etc.

:)
  • ZZaffy
    DoaM. Thank you. More info please. As in the difference between a search engine and web browser. Very interested to know more. I thought they were all one of the same. Thanks.
  • ZZaffy
    Yes you are correct. The thing is, I use Hermes UK all the time. I know the ropes. When I sent the parcel to Sweden, I thought I was still dealing with Hermes but no. Although it is a Hermes website they off load their customers to Postnord. I have been back to the website and it does state this.
    If I knew I was dealing with a different company, I would have taken a little more care. In fact when dealing with a new company you have no choice because of needing to know how the set up works, but I thought I was dealing with Hermes as in the parcel going to the address on the label. My mistake was to treat Hermes International in the same way I treated Hermes UK.
    If I knew I was dealing with a different company I would have gone directly to that company or to some other company.
    Anyhow not a case a can take any further. Another lesson learned.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    DoaM. Thank you. More info please. As in the difference between a search engine and web browser. Very interested to know more. I thought they were all one of the same. Thanks.

A search engine is a website through which you search for things. (e.g. Google)

A web browser is what you use to access a search engine website (or any other website for that matter).

The confusion may arise because (with most browsers) you can search directly from the address bar rather than having to first go to a search engine.

I'm sure you could have used your web browser to search for that info. ;):D
  • ZZaffy
    DoaM
    Thank you and don't be cheeky to your elders.
    Hate to admit it, but still none the wiser.
    Got a feeling I've not quite grasped IT terminology. I just press buttons and hope for the best.
  • blueball2
    blueball2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 19 July 2019 at 8:20AM
    The driver has stolen your parcel.

All of their drivers are gig economy workers driving round in mobile sheds. What happens is people try it for a bit, realise they are earning less than the dole and leave with whatever car full of parcels they happen to have on their quit day.

Honestly you are playing with fire by using Hermes, I used to do quite a bit of eBay work and was often warned / told by other buyers and sellers not to use them.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    blueball2 wrote: »
    The driver has stolen your parcel.

All of their drivers are gig economy workers driving round in mobile sheds. What happens is people try it for a bit, realise they are earning less than the dole and leave with whatever car full of parcels they happen to have on their quit day.

Honestly you are playing with fire by using Hermes, I used to do quite a bit of eBay work and was often warned / told by other buyers and sellers not to use them.

Playing with fire .
    I’ve used Hermes for years, rarely had a problem
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    Playing with fire .
    I’ve used Hermes for years, rarely had a problem

Could not agree more,our driver has been delivering to us{like you} for years and there has NEVER been a problem. We class him more as a friend than just "that bloke that delivers to us".
    We have no problem using Hermes from any company that wants to use them to deliver to us:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure