Refused a ticket on the train this morning

Options

Comments

• gingeralan
    Options
    spiro wrote: »
    Don't know what rule First will operate on this route but for the Hull services it states:

Buying tickets
    Ticket types which do not require advance purchase may be obtained on board any of our trains from the Train Manager. In this circumstance it is your responsibility to approach a member of staff to make the purchase as soon as possible after boarding.

You are responsible for finding someone to pay. It does not say what happens if you dont but I guess they could suspect you of fare evasion. Sounds like you need to start buying your tickets before you travel, possibly the day before.

This is because hull trains is an open access operator, they receive commission for selling tickets and are not bound by conditions of carriage necessarily as is the case with franchises, check first Trans pennine website and u'll see they have the same rule as Virgin.
  • bb21
    bb21 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    gingeralan wrote: »
    This is because hull trains is an open access operator, they receive commission for selling tickets and are not bound by conditions of carriage necessarily as is the case with franchises, check first Trans pennine website and u'll see they have the same rule as Virgin.

Hull Trains are bound by the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. See Appendix C of the NRCoC.

Train companies can choose to give the passenger more rights than those stipulated in the NRCoC, in this case discounts for buying onboard, however they cannot give passengers less rights than the NRCoC.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    gingeralan wrote: »
    This is because hull trains is an open access operator, they receive commission for selling tickets and are not bound by conditions of carriage necessarily as is the case with franchises,

First Hull Trains may not have a franchise but they are still a Train Operating Company, member of ATOC / National Rail. NRCOC still apply, as stated on Hull Trains website:
    The National Rail Conditions of Carriage states that all passengers must buy and carry a ticket valid for the date, time and journey they are making.

All train operating companies receive commission for selling tickets (and most pay conductors commission of 5-7% for on-train sales)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    Clam_Abuse wrote: »
    As I said, at the time the bus drops me off, I have about three minutes, if that, and being in a queue is never straight forward, is it?

You could buy tickets in advance for the coming week, perhaps at a time when you have more than 3 minutes before the train departs?
  • mkirkby
    Options
    Stigy wrote: »

So really, being able to buy one on board at all was good of the Guard.

& I suppose that one statement shows what is so wrong with the attitude of so many jobs-worths in this country.

Please note that this is NOT a dig at Stigy, but the conductor who decided to "stick to the exact rules in order to maximise profit". To sell a return ticket might be against the guidelines of his private employers but it is common kindness and takes no more time than a single (& from what the OP says, is the route taken by most of the conductors).

I would say to the OP, just carry on as normal and accept that you will occasionally get the odd conductor who wishes to make life that little bit more unpleasant for you.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    mkirkby wrote: »
    To sell a return ticket might be against the guidelines of his private employers

But the conductor is required to sell a return ticket if requested to do so. Neither he nor his employer has any discretion to impose a more restrictive term than the National Conditions of Carriage.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if its your usual trip how about some pre planning on your part.
    1. buy a season ticket
    2. buy ticket online for next day and then collect from stationn the night before so that you don't miss your train

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • mkirkby
    mkirkby Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    But the conductor is required to sell a return ticket if requested to do so. Neither he nor his employer has any discretion to impose a more restrictive term than the National Conditions of Carriage.

Yes indeed. Note to self: "read the whole thread before replying"....
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    AlexisV wrote: »
    Last time I was 'good' and bought a ticket before I boarded, the rest of the party paid about 25% less by buying direct from the conductor.

Next time try buying the right ticket.

What do you do if the conductor does not appear on your journey? You could be in serious trouble at the other end.
    Can I help?
  • Clam_Abuse_2
    Options
    I have a response!

I have highlited my favourite part :)

"Dear Mr Clam Abuse,

Thank you for your email which we received on 11 September 2012 concerning the ticket that was sold to you on board our Preston to Lancaster service.

In line with other train operating companies we only retail Anytime fares on board our trains.

The National Rail Conditions of Carriage state that all passengers must buy and carry a ticket valid for the date and time of the journey they are making. By encouraging customers to buy before they board we are helping to eliminate instances of fraudulent travel, which is something the vast majority of customers say is a real priority for them.
    :rotfl:

Where the ticket office at the station of departure is closed, customers will still be able to buy the full range of walk-up fares valid for that service on board. Holders of Disabled Railcards are able to obtain a Railcard discount on board.

The only exception to this is where customers board the wrong train in error while travelling with Advance fares. They are entitled to purchase an Off Peak fare if travelling outside of the peak period.

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback on our services is very much appreciated.
    "

Interesting they quote just the part of the NRCC that suits them.

I will respond with the information bb21 and dggar quoted.
    Please explain slowly...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport