Sky scanner for trains?

I’ve got a random day off next week- woulike to go somewhere for a day out on the train but being late notice it’s pricey. Is there the equivalent of Skyscanner but for trains so I could but the date in and just see what the prices were to different destinations without specifying one?

Comments

• What exactly are skyscanners?
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Skyscanner is a website which helps you find cheap airfares in a way that doesn't require you to know exactly where you want to go. Google Flights does something similar if you stick your dates in and put your destination as 'Europe', it will give you a nice overview of what the prices are to different destinations.

I don't know of anything similar for the rail network, but it would be tricky due to the sheer number of stations on the UK network, many of which are not interesting to tourists. So you'd probably get a list of two and half thousand places roughly ordered by distance from your local station.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I booked a train ticket in march via skyscanner and saved £5 off the price which was a bonus was originally £68 but got it for £63 , was a bit sceptical but was emailed the reservation code and collected my tickets at the machine at the station ok
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What exactly are skyscanners?

You from England or America ?
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Skyscanner discontinued selling train tickets on 2 April 2019. Train journeys are pretty much predicated on the passenger knowing where they want to go to, and then using various methods to find the best fare. Where are you starting from? Some train companies let you book "Advance" tickets right up the day before, or even the hour before your trip. Such tickets are good value but you locked have to travel on the specific train for which the ticket is issued. The tickets are booked online or using the train company's app, and can be collected from a machine at the station, or downloaded to the app. There are other so-called "rover" tickets which let you cover a specific area travelling on as many trains as you like. It is in fact horrendously complicated.
  • cats_whiskers
    cats_whiskers Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try the Train Pal [/B] app. Hope you have a great day out.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Try the Train Pal [/B] app. Hope you have a great day out.
    That app isn't much help.

It isn't a "Sky scanner" equivalent for trains by any means.

All it does is search each itinerary individually for cheaper combinations of fares (ie. using "split ticketing") by clicking on that itinerary, and waiting several seconds for the results.

If you want to see if a cheaper combination of fares is valid for your journey, there are better websites that will present a range of itineraries without you having to click on each one individually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure