Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maman yes you're right it is a bit Joules.

I wish I could knit, I never got the hang of it but I am a crochet queen. Having worked on it for hours today I am a bit daunted but I am getting into the swing of it Maybe it is time I tried knitting again, they have a knit and natter group at the library so I could get help there.

My Mother used to go to a knit and natter group, she went for the company, but there was always a young mum there who wanted to know how to knit, or someone who needed help with a pattern and either mum or someone else would always help or teach knitting. Mum cant do it anymore due to Alzheimers.

She taught me to knit ( I started at 4 years old), so perhaps when I retire i'll teach someone else at a knit and natter group.
  • eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had a session in the garden. The soil is very wet and heavy so it was hard work. I managed to plant 8 shrubs in just over an hour so not too bad. I am just going to pace myself and do an hour a day till the job is done. An hour is quite long enough. Don't want to wreck my back.

Too late 2 and a half hours on Sunday digging the veg patch did mine
    Swimming yesterday helped, unfortunately can't fit in another session this week :(
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    silva I always pack lightly for my holidays and only take the bare necessities (it’s amazing how little you realise you actually need if you think about it). I wear lots of loose fitting bandeau dresses on holiday - I’m quite a sweaty Betty under my arms and this style means I’m not sweating on my clothes.

Eamdjsmum I can knit and crochet, very basically, but I never finish anything! I think a setting up a knit and natter group will be very productive and a great way to meet new people whilst sharing your skills.

I love slippers too. My latest pair are slipper boots, which I love for the winter.
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Silva you can do click and collect at airport boots so you can order all your suncream, 75p shampoo etc and collect the bag after security at the airport so you don't need to pack any of that and just stuff your clothes in :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 March 2019 at 12:03AM
    Hi Frankie.......

Just wanted to respond to your honest and heartfelt post......

My advice is try not to be too hard on yourself. Try to put the past behind you, it doesnt really matter how or why you gained weight, it's done. What is important now is where you go from here.

That is not to negate or deny what led to your weight problems but rather accept and then learn from the experience. Let it spur you on.

Don't feel you can't post because you aren't "fabbing" enough, because you are, you are doing what you can when you can and that is fine. Starting with your hair, manicures and pedicures is brilliant. Concentrating on grooming is perfect. It needn't cost much, in fact most grooming is actually free. But the effects of good grooming habits are nothing short of miraculous.

Yes it will take time to lose the weight, unfortunately there aren't any shorts cuts and it can seem like a long slog but you will get there. Just be patient, stay focussed and take it at a pace at which you are comfortable.

I started this thread in 2011. That's 8 years ago and I can tell you that In all honesty I looked little better than a bag lady, I could hardly bear to see myself in a mirror. It has been a long journey and there have been times when it felt so hard. There were times when I felt like throwing in the towel and giving up but for some reason (probably stubborn pride) I refused to give in.

I held a vision in my mind of what I wanted to achieve, of the woman I wanted to be, how I wanted to feel and look. Am I there yet, am I fabulous yet.:rotfl:

Not quite there yet but almost. ;). Just a few final tweaks.

Frankie, I promise you, you really CAN do it......just stay focussed on your vision and work towards your goals, one step at a time. Yes there will be days when you feel overwhelmed, there will be days when you just want to give up, there will be days when you feel like you are climbing a metaphorical Mount Everest.

And, most definitely, there will be days when you fall by the wayside.

When that happens just pick yourself up, and start again. Just keep going.

There is a Japanese proverb......."Fall seven times, get up eight times".
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    eandjsmum wrote: »
    Just had a session in the garden. The soil is very wet and heavy so it was hard work. I managed to plant 8 shrubs in just over an hour so not too bad. I am just going to pace myself and do an hour a day till the job is done. An hour is quite long enough. Don't want to wreck my back.

Too late 2 and a half hours on Sunday digging the veg patch did mine
    Swimming yesterday helped, unfortunately can't fit in another session this week :(

Ouch......hope you feel better soon.

Yes that one hour was definitely enough......:rotfl:
  • As regards packing take less and buy there. You generally don't need as much and it can be nice to pick up a new top or something.

This week has been hard: A lot of pressure and a dash of anxiety. It came all of a sudden and horrible. I find my mind displaces worries onto an unrelated area- I can't control x but will worry about y. I know logically but sometimes it is hard. As a child I was anxious- I learned how to cover come it not by any specific technique but sometimes it comes back to remind me of limitations. Everyone to some extent deals with worries- sometimes our coping strategies are much better.

I used a charcoal mask. It was a peel off one. It peeled the top layer of skin and baby fuzz on my face. it was like wax. I doubt i will use it again.

I have been eating a little better- no cakes or treats. I have been using more vegetables in the diet. Daily steps.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you LL for your lovely response. It just all feels so hard sometimes.

I can feel that at 45, the best of my life is behind me and this is it and it's just not what I planned for myself. And just when I think I've worked through all that, it bites me again and I feel miserable about it all over again...sigh...

But, you're right, I'm managing something and that's the thing to focus on. :)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Frankie - first of all huge virtual hugs. You are still a young woman in your prime and you are definitely worth it!
    You have made your decision to lose weight - yes it will take a while but you will be more healthy, more active and feel so much better. I understand that you feel depressed about it at the moment but you can change that. You will only find support on this thread. Yes there will be times when you fall off the wagon but one blip won't derail you just get back on - as LL says - fall down 7 times get up 8.
    Don't feel you hav'n't any fabbing to post about - there are times when just washing my face and cleaning my teeth is the best I can do! Good luck on the journey you have started x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • lucywillow
    lucywillow Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    First day of Spring:j:j:j woo hoo!

Thank Goodness, good riddance to winter, onwards to lighter, brighter days .

Hello Ladies haven't posted for a while but I have been reading along.
    I am decidedly unfab today as I am fitting a new bath panel and laying new flooring in the bathroom today. Nails & hands are a disgrace:rotfl:
    Never mind,I finished the tiling & painting last week so by the end of this week I should be able to luxuriate in the tub and pamper myself a bit.
    It's the same every spring I get the urge to refresh my 'nest' like our feathered friends....:)

Just wanted to say Frankie that you have taken the most important step by recognising that you want to make changes. Everyone is very supportive on this thread and none of us is perfect (yet!;)) but we are always here if you need to just put your thoughts out into the world.
    Good Luck and well done for wanting to change your life in a positive direction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure