Anyone travelled business class on delta?

Ems!
Ems! Posts: 855 Forumite
First Post
edited 25 May 2009 at 1:18AM in Flights, currency & car hire
Was it worth the extra?

We've already got flights booked for September to San Francisco- am contemplating upgrading on the outgoing leg, looks like it will be about £1,000 each (2 adults) , seems quite a lot to me, and whilst we do have the money there are a lot of other things we could spend it on! To put it in context , we are treating this as a "holiday of a lifetime" and are REALLY splurging on certain aspects eg. on our last night we are paying £800 for a suite at the Plaza in New York, so we are prepared to spend money if we think it is worth it for the experience IYSWIM. We will be unlikely to ever be able to justify a splurge like £1,000 + each on an upgraded flight in the future.

I have tried to research it but can't really find much - there are some references to business elite being changed on delta but I can't fathom out how to work out if our plane would have the old or the new product.

Anyone out there help me to decide please !! Cheers.

Comments

• old_motters
    old_motters Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes. I've not yet experienced the lie flat seats however, I thought the cradle seats with pillow, duvet and noise cancelling headphones was very pleasant indeed. What makes BE special is the far superior level of service and food/wine and I would pay for it for leisure travel.

Where is your connecting airport. Perhaps you could fly BE on the international sector and economy on the domestic. Domestic first class is nothing to write home about.

What is your fare class? You need Y or B or M fares to be able to easily upgrade.
  • Ems!
    Ems! Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post
    Yes. I've not yet experienced the lie flat seats however, I thought the cradle seats with pillow, duvet and noise cancelling headphones was very pleasant indeed. What makes BE special is the far superior level of service and food/wine and I would pay for it for leisure travel.

Where is your connecting airport. Perhaps you could fly BE on the international sector and economy on the domestic. Domestic first class is nothing to write home about.

What is your fare class? You need Y or B or M fares to be able to easily upgrade.

Thanks , the fare class is 'U' - does that mean I wouldn't be able to pay for an upgrade then? I did a dummy booking for my flight and there seems to be LOTS of seats available in business (admittedly flight isn't until sept though). We are connecting at Atlanta.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    U is a discounted economy code, so you may need to pay extra to change your current ticket before you can then pay to upgrade. Best to contact Delta directly, or for more definitive advice post on the Delta forum on www.flyertalk.com.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • old_motters
    Ems! wrote: »
    Thanks , the fare class is 'U' - does that mean I wouldn't be able to pay for an upgrade then? I did a dummy booking for my flight and there seems to be LOTS of seats available in business (admittedly flight isn't until sept though). We are connecting at Atlanta.

As you're on the LUT fare basis(deeply discounted economy, which having done 60 transatlantic flights I'm very familiar with!!), it's quite likely they'd make you scrap the fare (or relevant portion) and start over. Flyertalk is a great website and would confirm my suspicions. Alternatively call the airline, the european call centre is most helpful.

If you really are interested in flying biz, and ponying up the cash my recommendation would be to save it for the inbound. You will arrive home far far more rested as you will actually be able to sleep in the seat (cradle seats are still pretty good) and suffer far less jetlag. There should also be an arrivals lounge at both Heathrow and Gatwick. I would also recommend ditching domestic First Class if offered, it's really not much to write home about.

That said, I've done ATL/LGW recently in economy on a refurbished B767 and it was the best economy experience of any US carrier I can recall, and not far behind BA in terms of overall quality and service.
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    this website - http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm - tells you all the class codes and whether they are upgradable or not.. as already has been said, a U class isn't upgradable, and you'll probably end up paying a lot...

or, ask at the check in desk, if there are options.

For upgrades, i like US Airways, as they let you upgrade the cheapest possible ticket, for $500 on any leg... i did it once when the exchange was $2 = £1, so i got a biz upgrade on the return leg for £250, plus then the original return cost of £180... bargain bargain! :)
  • old_motters
    markymoo wrote: »
    For upgrades, i like US Airways, as they let you upgrade the cheapest possible ticket, for $500 on any leg... i did it once when the exchange was $2 = £1, so i got a biz upgrade on the return leg for £250, plus then the original return cost of £180... bargain bargain! :)

Was that at the check in desk or prior to your arrival at the airport?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2009 at 5:23PM
    Ems! wrote: »
    We are connecting at Atlanta.
    Take something to do then. Or hope you aren't there long. 1 beer in the bar at the food court last month...... $8.00:eek:
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Was that at the check in desk or prior to your arrival at the airport?

both times at the check in desk... on the PHL - MAN route, even with me upgrading there were still a few empty seats...

on a standard ticket you can only do it at the airport.... it's risky, but it worked for me both times! :D
  • old_motters
    markymoo wrote: »
    both times at the check in desk... on the PHL - MAN route, even with me upgrading there were still a few empty seats...

on a standard ticket you can only do it at the airport.... it's risky, but it worked for me both times! :D

Oh I bet. It's actually a good strategy at the moment IMHO, with so few premium seats being sold to business travellers, there should be good pickings for those willing to risk it at the airport.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure