Toto energy massive price increase

Comments

• I have only just moved to Toto energy on 22nd Nov. Today, 05Dec, my projected yearly costs are rising from £519 to £690 - an increase of 33%. So much for 'smart energy', 'smart prices' and The Energy saving club. This is so ridiculous after gaining the business as a 'cheap' supplier - I would've been better off staying on my old supplier, even on their standard variable rate. They must be one of the most expensive suppliers now, relying on people not wishing to go through the very painful signing up process again. 90min+ on the phone and still no reply. What a SCAM.
  • I managed to speak to them on the phone Keith, the guy had no idea what was going on he said it was with senior management. I very much doubt they will reply to your e-mail anytime soon, they are a dreadful company!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sprince wrote: »
    I have only just moved to Toto energy on 22nd Nov. Today, 05Dec, my projected yearly costs are rising from £519 to £690 - an increase of 33%. So much for 'smart energy', 'smart prices' and The Energy saving club. This is so ridiculous after gaining the business as a 'cheap' supplier - I would've been better off staying on my old supplier, even on their standard variable rate. They must be one of the most expensive suppliers now, relying on people not wishing to go through the very painful signing up process again. 90min+ on the phone and still no reply. What a SCAM.

Hi - welcome to the forum. No doubt you read the contract terms and conditions before going ahead with the switch:

Price Plans

Your contract will be for either a fixed plan or a variable price plan.

A fixed price plan is for a fixed term and fixed rate, more particularly:

We will not increase the charges you pay under your contract while you are on a fixed contract unless your contract changes in accordance with this contract and in particular clause 15 of this contract (‘Changes to your contract”).

You may be liable for a cancellation or termination fee if you terminate or switch suppliers before the fixed period has expired.

A variable contract means one of our variable rate tariffs, more particularly: We may increase the charges you pay under a variable contract by providing you with 30 days’ advance notice. We may outline how charges will increase over the course of a whole year (or smaller period) in advance, thereby providing greater than 30 days notice.

They seem pretty clear to me but I haven't seen the offer or the Welcome Letter.
  • Hengus

Are you a Toto employee you sound like one! Only Toto could call a fixed tariff "Discount Variable Saver". I queried this initially and their employee Jack said the variable bit refers to changing the direct debit if my energy estimate usage was wrong, it was a fixed contract, I still have this reply in my Facebook messages. You seem to state the obvious whereas the agents on Toto's phones have absolutely no idea what is going on. From my limited experience of Toto nothing is clear to me!

Interestingly now I find I cannot switch through this site as my account shows "switch in progress", good grief I switched last June! I have e-mailed the site, their help area appears to suggest it will be because Toto did not tell them my switch had completed, probably why I never received my cashback! It at the moment looks like I will be using another site to switch. The last time I experienced such dreadful customer service it was a well known telephone company.

Dave
  • Avoid TOTO. I have been a customer for 5 days - and had an email/letter this morning from them telling me they are putting my gas price up by 51.5% from January. The electricity will go up too. They lure you in with a good deal, and then after 5 days put the price up. This is dishonest and greedy. Don't get tricked like me, avoid this company, TOTO rip-of energy.
  • System
    Avoid TOTO. I have been a customer for 5 days - and had an email/letter this morning from them telling me they are putting my gas price up by 51.5% from January. The electricity will go up too. They lure you in with a good deal, and then after 5 days put the price up. This is dishonest and greedy. Don't get tricked like me, avoid this company, TOTO rip-of energy.

No one is tricking anybody, and I am saying this as a consumer not an energy company employee. If you agreed to switch to a variable tariff, then prices can go up or down depending on market conditions. If there is an increase in tariff price then, according to the terms of their Supply Licence, TOTO has to give you at least 30days notice. You now have to decide whether to stay or switch again.

The big question is ‘why is the increase so big?’ As the wholesale cost of energy now accounts for less than 40p in every £ that we pay, it follows that if wholesale prices rose by 100% overnight (which hasn’t happened) then your bill would only increase by 20%. There are clearly other factors in play here.
  • System
    Hengus

Are you a Toto employee you sound like one! Only Toto could call a fixed tariff "Discount Variable Saver". I queried this initially and their employee Jack said the variable bit refers to changing the direct debit if my energy estimate usage was wrong, it was a fixed contract, I still have this reply in my Facebook messages. You seem to state the obvious whereas the agents on Toto's phones have absolutely no idea what is going on. From my limited experience of Toto nothing is clear to me!

Dave

No I do not work for Toto or any other energy supplier. This may be of interest to you from another comparison website:

Toto Energy’s TOTO Discount Variable Saver November 2017 tariff is discounted against their standard variable tariff for 12 months beginning on the day Toto Energy starts supplying your energy. There is a cancellation fee of £10 per fuel if you switch away before the end of the discounted period. This is an online-only tariff, which means that you must be prepared to manage your account online. This involves receiving and viewing your bills online, providing meter readings online and carrying out general correspondence online.

In sum, it is the discount (presumably the %) that is fixed for 12 months not the supplier's standard variable tariff. If the SVT increases, then so will the discounted cost.
  • Cornish_Dave
    Cornish_Dave Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 4:09PM
    Yep agree with you there Hengus and as you say there must be other factors affecting Toto. Can I also give a big 10/10 to MSE, already had a reply from Laura at the forum who has cleared my account so I can switch, but who to is the question? Tonik is the cheapest for me but will I get this hassle again? Laura says Toto did not tell them my switch had been completed that is why it is still outstanding. I guess they need their commision so perhaps I will get my cut after I have moved on from Toto!

Just noticed your latest post that is not how it was explained to me by their employee, but I am off to pastures new in any event. Interestingly when I changed MSE were calling it a fixed contract, I would not have changed to a variable one to be honest.
  • System

Just noticed your latest post that is not how it was explained to me by their employee, but I am off to pastures new in any event. Interestingly when I changed MSE were calling it a fixed contract, I would not have changed to a variable one to be honest.

Have a look at Toto’s Facebook page and the advert for CS staff. Don’t rule out variable tariffs. Fixed tariffs will give you certainty but not necessarily the lowest price. Over the past 2/3 years, all my electricity contracts have been on variable tariffs with GBEnergy; Iresa; Powershop and now Bulb. Bulb now has nearly 250000 customers and a single variable tariff. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot with a massive rise to their SVT? If this was the case, I would just move on.
  • jrh2254
    jrh2254 Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 9:01PM
    h1ubs wrote: »
    I did Dave when I joined in April 17 as I expect several hundred others did at the time as it was one of the top switches recommended by MSE EnergyClub. Whilst it was called a Variable Saver tariff it was clear the price quoted was 'guaranteed' for 12 months. This is clearly stated in the Welcome email pdf attachment sent the day the switch takes effect. In my case it clearly states the Price Guarantee date is 27th April 2018. I am waiting for TOTO to clarify, but as stated previously MSE Energy Club should also be seeking clarity as the confusion reflects badly on their recommendations.
    Hi,
    I also received my welcome pack in April but I can see that I have a price guarantee date as well:

Tariff ends on 02 May 2018
    Price guaranteed until 02 May 2018

I also have early exit fees of £10 per fuel (gas and electric so £20 in total.

So I assume they cant put up my price until 2nd May?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport