crochet anyone ?

Bella79
Bella79 Posts: 1,197
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
HI

i learned myself to crochet from watching videos on u tube im currently half way thoeugh a blanket for my little gir

just wonderd if any of you crochet as i think its a skill thats sadly dying out u can make some wonderfull things and the main thing i like is you see results quickly as i get quite impaitent :D

The stuff is so cheap too i got a full set of crochet hooks from ebay for about 7 pounds and the wool i get free from freesycle theres always someone on there willing to give you some

I went to a few sewing shops when i first started croching to ask advice etc and it was always the shop owners mothers lol who helped out i would hate to see this lovely craft die out

ive still got a crochet blanket that my grandmother made me when i was very young and its always lovely getting it out and using it to keep warm

It also keeps me busy on a night and stops me eating my way through the fridge lol that can only be a good thing !

theres also a website with 100s of free patterns on it i never buy them http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/

so happy hooking lol x

Comments

• Thanks so much for the link. I used to crochet quite a bit years ago so am probably a bit rusty now. It looks like a good hobby to pick back up.
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • I would love to be able to crochet, might have to check out You Tube for tutorials. I have some hooks and some wool just need to have a go, thanks for the link. :)
    November Grocery Challenge £500/£95
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yep I crochet and tbh my crocheting is better than my knitting

I'm three quarters of the way through a throw at the moment and love curling up on the sofa at nights with my crochet and a good tv programme

Lesleyxx
  • Bella79
    Forumite
    just to let you know these are the best tutorials i have found on the web http://www.youtube.com/user/tjw1963
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649
    Forumite
    I like crocheting and am getting the hang of the granny squares at the moment.

I started off doing crochet fringes for knitted scarves and gloves to practice.
    "carpe that diem"
  • Bella79
    Forumite
    granny aquares are good because they dont take too long and can ust do the odd one evently u will have enough to sew together and make a blanket !
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358
    Forumite
    I used to crochet with my nan when I as younger but 20yrs later I can't remeber how to do it and my nan is no longer with us to ask. I wish I has kept this going as I would love to make one of the blankets my nan made when I was young.

I'll check out those tutorials for tips and ask for some help in the local shop re hook size, plus any tips from here would be gratefully received!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Hi, my Mum taught me to crochet when I was a teenager and still maintains it is the only thing she has ever been able to teach me :)

When I was living with me previous house we used to all sit crocheting and knitting, all girls in our twenties, at one point at the end of a house party when most guests had gone we all cracked out our homemade scarves and started crocheting.

I find it really relaxing and am trying to learn how to turn crochet flowers into something I would like to wear/ give as a badge/corsage/brooch.

:)
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • owens3116 wrote: »
    just to let you know these are the best tutorials i have found on the web http://www.youtube.com/user/tjw1963

Thank you for this, I tried to learn to crochet last year and ended up throwing it all across the room! I can knit with my eyes closed (well, not literally! :p) but crochet has got me beat so far!
    I will give it another go with these tutorials now, and hopefully there will be no flying wool and crochet hooks this time!
  • Bella79
    Forumite
    once ie got little one in bed later im gonna snggle on sofa with my crochet i will finish this blanket whilst its still cold !! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure