Anoymous email to my work

Options
Hello ,
I was looking for some advice regarding a situation that has arisen. I was called in to she HR last week and was told that they had received a anoymous email, saying that i have a drinking problem.
They will not tell me anything more. I asked for the details of the email , date of when it was sent and the email address all to which they said no. I asked if they were concerned about the content of the email and if my conduct at work had ever been a cause of concern which they said no.
What makes it worse is i dont have a drinking problem and hardly ever do drink.
I believe i know who sent the email but cant do anything about it.
They have referred me to occupational health for some reason.
Can anybody give me any advise where i stand legally on this , do my work have to tell me the content of the email and could i take this matter futher I.E slander or deformation of character.
Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello ,
    I was looking for some advice regarding a situation that has arisen. I was called in to she HR last week and was told that they had received a anoymous email, saying that i have a drinking problem.
    They will not tell me anything more. I asked for the details of the email , date of when it was sent and the email address all to which they said no. I asked if they were concerned about the content of the email and if my conduct at work had ever been a cause of concern which they said no.
    What makes it worse is i dont have a drinking problem and hardly ever do drink.
    I believe i know who sent the email but cant do anything about it.
    They have referred me to occupational health for some reason.
    Can anybody give me any advise where i stand legally on this , do my work have to tell me the content of the email and could i take this matter futher I.E slander or deformation of character.
    Any help would be appreciated

Why have you agreed to be referred to occupational health for a non-existent problem?

If you have £10k lying about you could perhaps launch a libel claim, but it could cost a lot more.

Better to chill and not let whoever is riling you show they can get to you.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trying to look at it from the employer's side, perhaps they feel they have a duty of care. If you did have an alcohol dependency, then they are trying to help you.

That said, it's malicious (and you say untrue) gossip, and I don't see why you should have to go to occupational health. Imagine they acted on all anonymous emails they received.

Any reason anyone may have done this to you? If so, then that needs reporting perhaps.
  • James101ondon
    Options
    Yes its my ex ! But we work together for the same company shes trying to ruin my name
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I can certainly understand your anger if unfounded allegations are being made against you. In this instance I would go along with the company's request to see OH. You don't have a drink problem so there is nothing to fear.
    You believe the e-mail originated with your ex but you don't have proof so tread carefully in that area.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    From the point of view of your position at work, the most dignified response would perhaps be to apologise to them that they are being dragged into a personal matter.

Under GDPR you have the right to request copies of data they hold about yourself, and could request the email unless they have had the forethought to delete it. You might not get the sender's email address as this would be data about them, not you.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    From the point of view of your position at work, the most dignified response would perhaps be to apologise to them that they are being dragged into a personal matter.

Under GDPR you have the right to request copies of data they hold about yourself, and could request the email unless they have had the forethought to delete it. You might not get the sender's email address as this would be data about them, not you.

If it was the ex then she'd have to be pretty stupid to use her normal/known email address.

Personally I'd go along with anything that HR asked if only to show I had nothing to hide
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Horrible situation but I was in a similar one. Again with an ex.

I had to go to occ health too. I did, with a big welcoming smile, said I was so sorry they had to do this but that I understood. They did a basic health check, noted all OK, said their were some malicious people about, I didn't comment. All done in about 30-45 mins.

I didn't make a fuss so it would get back to my ex, just treated it as a free check up.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would be tempted to send my own anonymous email to HR about the ex!
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    I would be tempted to send my own anonymous email to HR about the ex!

So, as two wrongs don't make a right I assume you would then try a third!
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes its my ex ! But we work together for the same company shes trying to ruin my name

And you have proof of that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport