Dissolvable or Absorbable stitches

I had my 3 month old Chi mix female puppy fixed on Sept. 1st. They said that the stitches were absorbable and that they would go away within 10 to 14 days and to leave her e-collar on for that amount of time as well. It has now been 10 days and the outside stitches look the same as the day she had surgery. And she really hates the e-collar, she is just as active as always and eating fine. She is even hoping off of the couch and runny through the house like the stitches no longer bother her. What I am wondering is when I can take the collar off? And how long does it take for the outside stitches to dissolve? Her and I both are ready for the collar to come off. The longer the collar stays on the more depressed she seems to be. I asked the vet and got told whenever you feel comfortable to do it. Which to me wasn't a real answer. Any help or advice would be very welcome at this time.

Comments

• I'd take her to the vet on day 14 and ask if a vet nurse can take the stitches out. After two weeks they aren't doing anything anyway except maybe itching!
  • Thank you I was thinking that I just might have to do that. I am off Friday and that will make 2 weeks exactly.
  • Dissolvable stitches take longer than 10-14 days to dissolve. Most vets advise removing stitches 10 days post-op, at which point it should be fine to remove the collar.
  • Thank you for the advice I was thinking it has been 11 days so it should be safe to take the cone off. But with her only weighing 2.12 pounds I tend to worry about her maybe a little to much..lol
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How does the wound itself look? If it looks like it's healing well try taking the collar off for a while to see f she bothers it at all. If she bothers the area she still needs the collar on, if she leaves it alone then it should be safe enough to leave off. The stitches should start breaking down now, gently rubbing them with warm water a few times a day can help them along or you can cut them off (take to vet or nurse if you're not confident enough to do it yourself)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September 2017 at 10:30PM
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    How does the wound itself look? If it looks like it's healing well try taking the collar off for a while to see f she bothers it at all. If she bothers the area she still needs the collar on, if she leaves it alone then it should be safe enough to leave off. The stitches should start breaking down now, gently rubbing them with warm water a few times a day can help them along or you can cut them off (take to vet or nurse if you're not confident enough to do it yourself)

Just to add that I had a couple of sets of dissolvable stitches in my wrist and somewhere else that both refused to dissolve - my GP dealt with them (as I was unsure about such things at the time), but after that, I'd have no worries about doing it myself for human or animal in the future, as the removal caused absolutely no discomfort at all - just a tiny snip at the base of the knot on one side and then gently withdrawing them.

PS - None of my animals has ever worn the Cone of Shame. It wasn't even suggested as an option up to 5 years ago when the most recent animal was separated from his bits, never mind the females, who after a day of looking a bit tired, acted as though nothing had ever happened to them. I suspect it's something to make owners feel better (and is conveniently chargeable).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    It depends on the dog.

Only one of mine has needed a cone as she pulled at her stitches and did pull one out.

It is not unknown for a wound to be opened up by dog biting the stitches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure