Pre-employment credit check

Hi All,

I am in the process of gaining employment with Homeserve UK. I found out today that if successful I will be subject to a pre-employment credit check. I have a pretty poor credit history with a couple of CCJ's and Bankruptcy ( due to fall off my file April 2018 ). I have advised them of this but like me they are unsure if I would fail the checks and not be able to be employed. My application is frozen until I can gather a bit more info.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Not sure what advice you're looking for.

I assume that this is a job which means you are dealing with money, in one way or another. If so, it's not uncommon for them to make sure you're financially savvy.
  • Not handling money specifically, it is a company dealing with home insurance so they are regulated by the FCA. I guess I am wondering what shows up on there version of a credit check. Would it show the same detail as if I were to apply for a credit card for example.
  • Not handling money specifically, it is a company dealing with home insurance so they are regulated by the FCA. I guess I am wondering what shows up on there version of a credit check. Would it show the same detail as if I were to apply for a credit card for example.

Different to a regular check in that they can't see the specific details of your credit agreements, but they can see if you've had CCJ's or been bankrupt in the last 6 years.
  • Would the bankruptcy stop me being offered the role? Even though its discharged? Or is that company discretion?
  • Would the bankruptcy stop me being offered the role? Even though its discharged? Or is that company discretion?

Potentially, yes. It's not a legal requirement not to employ someone who's previously been bankrupt though. Like you say, company/manager discretion.
  • I work in retail and was looking at moving jobs last month. I applied to a company called McColl's and on the last page said if i was offered a job that would do a credit check.

Worked in retail all my life, since i was 16 and this was new to me. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.
  • It just shows that past mistakes can come back to haunt you.
  • It just shows that past mistakes can come back to haunt you.

If you're offering people advice on monetary matters, or selling them a financial product, then being able to manage your own finances has got to be part of the job qualifications, in my opinion.

I'm not judging here, I went bankrupt too, by the way.

Just try to remember if it doesn't go your way, then it wasn't meant to be. Just keep trying and something else will come around eventually.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Would the bankruptcy stop me being offered the role? Even though its discharged? Or is that company discretion?

It depends on the policies of the company to which you are applying for employment. Their concerns would be that, if you are financially stressed, you may present a higher risk of being likely to be susceptible to corruption or to commit fraud.
  • Hi there,

As other people have mentioned then if the company is FCA regulated then there is a high possibility that they will credit check you. I know for my credit checks for banks previously, if there was a CCJ, bankruptcy or any account in default I would fail the credit check. fingers crossed for you, let us know what happens.

Gaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport